When Taking Cake Out Of Freezer How Long Does It Need To Sit

Decorating By branbrielliott2 Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 7:14pm by branbrielliott2

branbrielliott2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
branbrielliott2 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 9

How long does it need to sit before you can deco.

Thanks so much.

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 9

Everybody does this differently. Ev.ery.bod.y.

I freeze my cakes after I fill them. I wrap them in two layers of plastic film and put them in the plastic-y like cooking bags--like for turkeys & roasts & stuff. I tape two bags together if one is not big enough--they are re-useable

I take it out, unwrap it and immediately brush off any ice crystals before they can melt into my cake and I ice it right then and there.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 9

I also ice right after taking out of freezer, much easier to crumb coat or ice and makes nice sharp edges.
I do wait a while after icing to decorate though, because the cake will sweat from the condensation of thawing but not to worry, the sweat beads are either evaprated or reabsorbed by icing.
Then I decorate. You just don't want to decorate while it sweats in case you have colors that run.

branbrielliott2 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 9

how long should I wait to deco. I am not sure if I am covering in fondant or not...but I will be using fondant accents..

Thanks

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 9

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who ices cakes right out of the freezer. Usually on here people say not to do it, but I do it all the time and have never had any problems. I also think it helps to keep the cake moist.

As far as how long to wait before you decorate, I would wait until the condensation dries. Hard to say how long that would be, it would depend on the size and thickness of the cake.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 9

I let the cake sit out for about 10 minutes and then I start to ice it!! I love icing a cake that is partially frozen... it is so easy to work with!!!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 9

I always let them sit completely wrapped until totally thawed, however this thread is making me rethink that approach.........

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 9

I have iced both thawed and frozen and hands down, frozen works best and locks in moisture. I read a thread where some posters said cake would get soggy or the icing would crack but I have never ever had anything like that even come close in five years and many many cakes.

Icing will bead as it thaws (condensation), wait til there are no more moisture beads then decorate.

branbrielliott2 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 9

I wonder how long worst case..I wont have much time...I have to get ready for work and I work till midnight then I wont have much time in the am to ice and deco...
do think more than an hour...as soon can you put on fondant if I would do that..can that be done right away or till it stops beads...when its done..the beads just go away???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%