Need Stable Peanutbutter Filling

Baking By grandmom Updated 5 Sep 2011 , 11:47pm by CiNoRi

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:58am
post #1 of 12

I am planning a cake for my son's 40th birthday. I might try the Amazing Chocolate WASC (have never had this cake before, but sounds good!) with a peanut butter filling. I will probably cover the cake in ganache and fondant. I will have to assemble and decorate a couple days ahead then transport the cake 2 hours. So the filling must have a good shelf life, and I'd like it to be rich and moist because I find the ganache/fondant combo to be a tad on the drier side, compared to Buttercream.

Anyone have a good recipe for a stable moist peanut butter filling?

And would you use white, milk or dark chocolate ganache with this combo?

Thanks for any suggestions!

11 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 12

I add peanut butter to my thick crusted buttercream. I usually add about 1/2 cup, but it's to your taste.

kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 12

I have used the "Peanut Butter Cup Filling" from the recipe section here at CC quite a few times. Each time I have used it, it has gotten great reviews. Highly recommend!

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 12

Same here - I just add peanut butter to taste to my buttercream. It's delicious!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 12

1 cup pb
1/2 cup ps
blend until smooth then add

2 cups pre-whipped bettercreme
blend until well incorporated then fold in

2-3 more cups of pre-whipped bettercreme

Sometimes, I crush Nutter Butters and fold into it too.

This is a very forgiving recipe...add more of this or less of that to your liking

(I prefer it with 1-8 ounce package of cream cheese mixed into the pb and ps...nice! but it turns out delicious either way)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

1 cup pb
1/2 cup ps
blend until smooth then add

2 cups pre-whipped bettercreme
blend until well incorporated then fold in

2-3 more cups of pre-whipped bettercreme

Sometimes, I crush Nutter Butters and fold into it too.

This is a very forgiving recipe...add more of this or less of that to your liking

(I prefer it with 1-8 ounce package of cream cheese mixed into the pb and ps...nice! but it turns out delicious either way)

Is the cream cheese version shelf stable?

I make a peanut butter mousse with whipping cream and peanut butter and powdered sugar and it goes bad fast. It's gloriously good...for a while icon_biggrin.gif I mean even carefully kept chilled it nosedives in a hurry.

all4cake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 12

I didn't suggest the OP using it (and added it as a possibility...) 'cause everyone has their own views (aside from what the health experts say) about the use of cream cheese in their icings and the stability of those icings.

The icing will maintain its' structure(breaking down point), at room temp, almost indefinitely ...3 days on the counter and it still cuts like it did day one( I think it's due to the Bettercreme). I've kept leftovers for 5 days in the fridge, with no effects on taste or structure. I can't and won't advise anyone on whether they should or shouldn't hold it for that long...just that I've held it that long for personal use with no ill effect. Would I use it for a cake for a customer? Yep. Even if said customer doesn't plan on serving it until the next day and it's going to be sitting on the counter (in an air conditioned.....around 70-75 F...room) the whole time. I haven't yet though. If I ever do, they would be informed that it has cc in it, and let them decide whether to chill it or not. People would freak out over the cc icing on the cakes at Sam's that were displayed on the tables...that stuff is definitely shelf stable...seriously, they would say stuff like..."oh, I don't want one off the table. I'm getting mine from the cooler."

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 12

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah some of the bakeries I worked at would let cc icing sit out overnight etc.

I was shocked at how little shelf life that p-nut butter mousse stuff I made lasted--and I kept it chilled. I kept leftovers of it twice as I recall and wham it went bad within a few days. But...weird huh...

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 12

I'm not an expert in how long this would be stable (mainly because it never makes it that long around my house!), but here is the recipe I use for PB filling/icing. It is a SMBC, but just follow the directions for making a PB SMBC. It is YUMMY!!! http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/ild/2005/0905/buttercream.html

all4cake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 12

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/39/Cream-Cheese-Mousse93238.shtml

I love this recipe! I've added white chocolate to the cream cheese melting stage....I cook the yolks, water and sugar over simmering water to a temp of 170F(slow, CONTINUOUS attention is crucial to keep the yolks from doing the scrambling thing)...after it's all combined and chilled 'til set, I fold in drained and squeezed crushed pineapple and coconut...OMG! or chopped praline pecans...again...OMG! The chocolate version tastes like a creamy smooth silk chocolate ice cream...awesome!

It holds up(I'm sure it's the gelatin, eh?) super duper well. aaaaaaaaaand....when I'm experimenting with different additions and I've made too much and not sure when I'll use the rest of it, I use a disher/ice cream scoop/portion scoop, and divvy it all up onto a parchment lined pan (in little mounds) then freeze solid...you can also put it into a freezer container...but the scoops allow you to take out just what you want/need....then, after they're frozen solid, place them into a freezer container. Just thaw, stir and fill your cake, or thaw and eat, or eat it frozen...it's incredible stuff!

I've not tried adding pb to it...but I think if I did, I would try melting it with the cc as well

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 12

Many thanks to all! Now to decide which one to use!

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 12

I i know its kinda off topic... but you mentioned adding PB to your BC ... will this work under fondant? <I need a good PB frosting - shelf stable & fondant friendly icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%