Betty Crocker Or Homemade

Decorating By slugbug70354 Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 5:38am by indydebi

slugbug70354 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slugbug70354 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:38am
post #1 of 8

Can anyone tell me if I can use betty crocker, duncan hines or some other name brand cake mix to sell my cakes or does it have to be homemade from scratch? I do alter the mix a little.

7 replies
ilztar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilztar Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:48am
post #2 of 8

All my cake are made from BettyCrocker mixes. I do not have any luck making homemade cakes. I don't feel that it really makes a difference. My customers like what they're eating and that is what counts.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:49am
post #3 of 8

I dont think there is anything that says you in order for you to sell your cakes it has to be from scratch. I know that you have to be licensed in order for you to sell any type of cake. MANY CC'ers use doctored cake mixes (me personally) and many others use only scratch cakes. I think as long as they taste good and look good that is what matters, whether from scratch or doctored, and your clients like them. I personally prefer BC cake mix. There is a good gourmet flavor thread on both scratch cakes and doctored cake mixes. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 8

I use both; no one ever comments either way on the flavor (mix or scratch) of the cake. They comment on the overall package: the look, the gourmet flavors, how moist and fluffy it is, the buttercream icing. I recently had a client crazy excited about the fondant. lol... That was a first.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #5 of 8

i tried the homemade thing, the doctored up thing, and the plain cake mix thing, and all work well. it all depends on what your customers like. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:15am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

I dont think there is anything that says you in order for you to sell your cakes it has to be from scratch.

Agree. Don't be one of those Silly Nilly's who think everything that is sold in a bakery or restaurant is made "from scratch". icon_biggrin.gif Some bakers buy their mix in 50 lb bags from a wholesale food supplier .... some buy it in 18 oz boxes from walmart.

There is no right or wrong. Whatever works for you and whatever works for your customers. I've been a mix-baker for 30 years and I find it amazing when people talk about how good my cakes are. I'm thinking "You can make the same thing" but evidently not! icon_rolleyes.gif

I think it takes a great talent to be able to turn out a consistently good scratch cake everytime. If you're comfy with mix cakes but want to reach out to do scratch cakes, keep making those mix cakes while you practice the scratch ones! Eventually you have the best of both worlds! thumbs_up.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:08am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

I dont think there is anything that says you in order for you to sell your cakes it has to be from scratch.

Agree. Don't be one of those Silly Nilly's who think everything that is sold in a bakery or restaurant is made "from scratch". icon_biggrin.gif Some bakers buy their mix in 50 lb bags from a wholesale food supplier .... some buy it in 18 oz boxes from walmart.

There is no right or wrong. Whatever works for you and whatever works for your customers. I've been a mix-baker for 30 years and I find it amazing when people talk about how good my cakes are. I'm thinking "You can make the same thing" but evidently not! icon_rolleyes.gif

I think it takes a great talent to be able to turn out a consistently good scratch cake everytime. If you're comfy with mix cakes but want to reach out to do scratch cakes, keep making those mix cakes while you practice the scratch ones! Eventually you have the best of both worlds! thumbs_up.gif

Indydebi..do you only use mixes out of a box or doctored cake mixes??

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:38am
post #8 of 8

For years, I was a straight-out-of-the-box cake baker. Recently, I've started adding a packet of dream whip and an extra egg. I've also tried the commercial mixes that are "just add water".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%