How Do I Get My Figure To Stand On The Cake?

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm by butterfly831915

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a Hannah Montana cake for this weekend and I need my figure to stand up on top of the cake. I wasn't sure how to get this done. I have already made the figure and let it dry. Do I have to place something thru the leg of it? The legs are not that large so I was afraid of making it look funny. I will redo it if I have to.

7 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 8

You need to put supports into the leg - either dry spaghetti, toothpicks or florist wire will do. I've only ever put them in when the paste is soft.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 8

If your figure has already dried, you could try heating up some wire until it is extremely hot, then stick it into the legs of the figure to harden. Then just stick the wire into some coffee stirrers, and stick those into the cake. You might have to use some heavy gauge wire, depending on how heavy your figure is.

Another option would be to secure some bamboo skewers to the back of each leg with gumpaste or fondant. HTH! icon_smile.gif

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 8

you could make a chair for her to sit on.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 8

Due to the fact that your figure has already dried, it might be difficult to try adding wire or toothpicks at this point. You said the legs are not that large, so trying to put support inside them at this point could cause them to crack. What you might want to do, (if you can work it into your design), is cover a small cake board with fondant in your color scheme. Using a little edible glue on the bottom of your figure's feet, attach the figure to the center of the fondant covered board. You can attach the board with the figure to the top of your cake.

I don't know if this would work with your design plan, but it's just a thought. Good luck to you.

Jean

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #6 of 8

I agree with Jean. If it's completely dry, it could crack when trying to insert supports. Also, the recipient can keep the whole topper! icon_smile.gif

butterfly831915 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 8

I am wondering about trying the skewers. If I place those on the back of the legs and just wrap with the same flesh tones it should be okay right? The figure seems to be a little heavy and when I made it I had wires in it but then they kept falling out so I became really scared to leave them in. The holes are still there so maybe if I got a larger gage wire and inserted that would work too. Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to post what I find out or how it goes.

butterfly831915 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 8

Okay so I used the skewers, didn't cover or anything just made it where she rest on them. Worked out great. Se it in my pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%