The Caterer Didn't Serve 60% Of The Cake!! (Long!)

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 4:23pm by indydebi

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #31 of 42

emrldsky - you nailed it! The most disappointing thing for me was the presentation of the cake. It had pretty green layers of filling that were all mashed together when they were piled onto large plastic plates. It just seemed very unprofessional regardless of whether the service was paid for or not.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #32 of 42

I cando one better.....i did a 6/8 /10/12 inch wedding cake and two full stacked sheetcakes. the sheets were kitchen cakes one chocolate with whipped cream filling and the other pumpkin pie spice with pumpkin spice bettercream filling, both were buttercream....the wedding cake was all white. I told the couple exactly how much cake they were getting and that it would be a lot, they said that is the amount they wanted. I found out after the wedding that the wedding cake didn't even have one piece (except the piece the bride and groom cut) eaten....the caterers just cut the kitchen caked and just like someone else said, they cut the 1 by 3 by 4in slices and then they cut that in half....unbelieveable.....it was like they thought the wedding cake was not real. the mother of the groom told them to cut the white cake also,guess they didn't listen.....and to beat all the when the brides mom wrapped up all that leftover wedding cake, she didn't even offer the grooms mom a piece. I work with the groom and his mom, that is how i got the cake job.

icon_cool.gif not my problem, i still got paid.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:19am
post #33 of 42

I just did a cake last weekend - 5 tiers - alternating round and petal - all red velvet with vanilla cream filling. Unfortunately, it never got cut as the couples' 1 year old went into convulsions during the reception. The couple sent me a quickl email thanking me for the gorgeous cake, but my customer who referrred me for the job told me that nobody got to taste it. I normally offer a discount on an anniversary tier, but I think I will tell them I'll do it for free. I feel a little bad that they paid all that money and the cake was basically wasted.

tilly41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tilly41 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #34 of 42

We had italian "cookie" cakes as well as wedding cake at our wedding - 14 years ago - and left wax lined bags out for guests to take cookies home ... and to spare my great aunts from having to wrap the cookies in napkins and stuff them in their purses! icon_wink.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:08pm
post #35 of 42

LOL This is on my "checklist" - I'm starting to plan my Oct 2010 wedding, and I want the wedding cake plated and served to the tables as dessert at the appropriate time. We're also having a dessert buffet with all sorts of mini desserts, but that will be set up after dinner so that people can pick on it throughout the evening.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:33am
post #36 of 42

HerBoudoir, that's how we did it and it worked great! Also, my mom insisted on having coffee available, she can't eat sweets without a cup of joe!

I was also at a wedding once where they waited until the end of the night to cut the cake, and do a champagne toast. So most of the champagne was not used, since everyone had already been drinking.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #37 of 42

Thanks for the info indydebi. Your blog is very descriptive.

annalew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annalew Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm
post #38 of 42

I've seen too many couples wait until the reception is almost over before they cut the cake. Sometimes so many people have already left that there aren't many people left to even eat the cake, and the family is stuck with lots of leftovers. I think some of this is the fault of the photographer, who takes all the other pictures of the reception first and does the cake picture toward the end of the reception. I've started advising brides to tell the photographer that they want the cake picture made when the couple first arrives at the reception site after the wedding ceremony. That way, everyone gets to see them cut and share the first piece of cake and then they can dance, visit with guests, eat the meal, etc., and no one has to wait for the cake to be cut. Guests can get their piece of cake after they've finished their meal. I tell the brides this when they come for the cake consultation appointment, and so many have told me that it's a great idea and one that they've never thought of.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #39 of 42

annalew, I've told my brides that for years and now that I've made quite a network of wedding vendors, all of them are starting to suggest it to their bride, too, especially the event planners. One tactic they use is "You dont' want your cake photo taken after dinner, when you might have some spilled food on your dress!" icon_surprised.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:39pm
post #40 of 42

I didn't read all the responses yet, but are you sure "real caterers" cut the cake? The 14" should have been the first one cut, shouldn't it? That way any leftovers would actually fit in a box to take home.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #41 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

I didn't read all the responses yet, but are you sure "real caterers" cut the cake? The 14" should have been the first one cut, shouldn't it? That way any leftovers would actually fit in a box to take home.

I actually did see the caterers cut the cake. As this was my first wedding cake I was really interested in seeing what the process was so I peaked into the kitchen while they were cutting it (the reception was at our church so it kind of feels like home). I was very surprised that they started from the top as well!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:23pm
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

I actually did see the caterers cut the cake. As this was my first wedding cake I was really interested in seeing what the process was so I peaked into the kitchen while they were cutting it (the reception was at our church so it kind of feels like home). I was very surprised that they started from the top as well!

I have a caterer friend who confesses she hates cutting wedding cakes, "Because I'm just not really sure how." Another caterer I worked with told me "We just refuse to cut wedding cakes. We dont' know how to do it."

At least these folks ADMIT they don't know how to do it. I think there are more caterers who don't know how and they won't admit it. Or worse yet, they THINK they know how and end up chopping the cake to hell.

When I ask my brides "Who is cutting your cake?" (on a drop off cake), if they tell me "The caterer", I'll ask them if the caterer KNOWS they are cutting the cake (some brides just ASSUME the caterer will do it) AND to find out if the caterer actually KNOWS how to cut a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%