Tips On Tips

Decorating By caked4life Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 2:12pm by caked4life

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #1 of 7

I understand when you're working with RI that all of your utensils has to be 100% grease free. Does anyone have any tips on getting tips, spatulas, etc...grease free (other than the obvious dish detergent).

I've heard lemon juice and vingar, but I hear they both tarnish the tips.

6 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:11am
post #2 of 7

Dawn dish detergent - It's a wonderful degreaser.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #3 of 7

and some will put the tips w/ the Dawn in a microwave safe bowl filled with water and then microwave it until just boiling.

instant clean -- lot hotter than dishwater so all the grease easily dissolve and the Dawn holds it in solution.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 7

Vinegar will clean the Wilton tips free of grease, however, they should not be left to soak in the solution. Soaking in the vinegar water is what will change the tips to the tarnished color. Not only do your tips need to free of grease but your beaters and the mixing bowl should also be clean and free of grease. It is wise to either wash them is hot, hot soapy water or run them through the dishwasher before mixing your Royal Icing. I hope this has helped you as I have not tried the microwave trick yet. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif
evelyn

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:59am
post #5 of 7

I'm another Dawn detergent fan. My DH has my kitchen faucet temp set pretty high (I know, could be dangerous) so I just run some water in a plastic tub, add a few drops of Dawn, pop on the lid and shake it up!

MarlaQuack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarlaQuack Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 7

I always use Dawn. I will try the microwave idea.

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

and some will put the tips w/ the Dawn in a microwave safe bowl filled with water and then microwave it until just boiling.

instant clean -- lot hotter than dishwater so all the grease easily dissolve and the Dawn holds it in solution.

Hi Doug,

Will the tips not spark in the microwave? They are metal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%