Free Cakes For Kids

Lounge By MLand Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 4:17am by cs_confections

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:35pm
post #181 of 716

That center for mothers is a great idea! I know we have a place here, too.

I thought of another way people can help. This is ideal for someone with out the time (or ability) or money to make a cake or a donation. They can clip and mail in coupons for cake mixes, frostings, sugar, etc.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 10:20pm
post #182 of 716

I actually had never heard of it and was talking to a friend who is a girlscout leader and the girlscouts volunteer there, so she suggested it.

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:13am
post #183 of 716

Anyone have anymore news ? Haven't heard anything for a few days.

I am working on my website for the organization, I've mentioned it to a few people. A lady from church contacted the Womens Shelter in my area, they have several childrens birthdays coming up, so I am going to be taking care of those cakes.

Had several church ladies wanting to donate cakes and stuff. Its a start and I can't wait to get started and brighten up a childs day.

Anyone else have any news to share ?

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:56am
post #184 of 716

no news here. I have been swamped over the weekend, but have looked into getting the website up and ordering cards. Mentioned it to some people, but want things 'legit' first.

Do you think Vistaprint is the best way $ to go for the website?

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #185 of 716

I'm using freewebs right now. Then if things pick up, I may purchase a domain, have to see how it goes.

cs_confections Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:57am
post #186 of 716

Here was my thinking on the website:

Freewebs: Pros: FREE, quick, easy
Cons: Web address isn't straightforward, limited on style and setup

Go Daddy: Pros: Register domain for $2 (I purchased my site at the same time, but in looking at my products, it looks like I could have had the regular 5 page website, with templates, for free)
Lots of space - I knew I wanted to do a blog and post pictures, so I need space to do so.
Emails - linked to domain
Cons - can be a little pricey - my total cost was $99 per year for domain and site. I also get a blog and photo album to be on the site, I just haven't had time to set them up

Vista Print - Pros: register domian, can use official logo, cost is lower
Cons - it looks like you're limited to only 3 pages (which works well if you're just needed a place to get info to people)

So, just think about what you plan on doing with it. Like I posted before, I set up a Facebook page (Free Cakes for Kids, San Antonio Chapter) that people can become a fan of and follow, which is also linked to Twitter, and they will be linked to the blog on the website. The blog will be to tell about the kids we're helping, fundraisers we'll participate in, pictures of cakes and kids, etc. I'm wanting people to become a fan so whenever a blog entry is made, they're reminded of us and maybe "now" will be when they can help, or "now" is time to tell someone else about it, etc.

It's slow right now since we just became legit on Friday. I took slips with the website and Facebook address to the housewarming party I made a cake for on Saturday and my mom took a stack of fliers to her church group on Sunday. She ran out and needs to take more next week. I took one to the nearby cake supply store today. She was doing inventory and I needed to get back to work so I told her a little about it and got some bulk pricing from her. Their boxes and boards in a bulk of 50 will be much cheaper than how I'm buying them in Hobby Lobby!

Sorry this is so long!

Brenda0217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda0217 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:34am
post #187 of 716

I became a chapter, made my own fliers up with the logo on to hand out, ordered business cards from vistaprint, for like 5.99 for 250 of them with the logo on. I have to get my two people that are going to help me fill out an application like I did, so they know who is helping me out and then I have to send that back in. Haven't decided on my own site yet, waiting to see how this all goes first, they posted me on their main site as a chapter though for my area in PA. Got the newsletter emailed to me this morning, suppose to tell everyone on CC to be patient with them in getting back to you , if you e-mailed them, they are doing their best to answer quickly, but they too have kids, husbands, and jobs and are also voulnteers, so hang in there they said. So that is about as far as I got, my neighbor took a flier to her church on sunday, the little I girl I babysit her mother is taking a flier to the one schools parent/teacher organization to let them know since they deal with these kinds of families to start with in the school. So that is how far I have gotten for now.

chrstmaskd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrstmaskd Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:55am
post #188 of 716

I received my application, just have to get it filled out and sent in. I have a couple of questions for them, but I realize they are swamped right about now. One of them is regarding the non profit and what we do with all of our receipts to be able to write it off as a donation at the end of the year. I have a few people who have said that they would donate items but the bulk of stuff I will have to purchase on my own. I am really excited about this idea and can't wait to get started.

Brenda0217 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:11pm
post #189 of 716

Good question, did not think of that one. I guess we will have to email one of them and ask that question, when we buy our own stuff to make the cakes and keep the receipts are we allowed to take it off on our taxes at the end of the year? Do I have this question right Chrstmaskd??? I will try to find that answer out for you.

saberger Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm
post #190 of 716

cs_confections: Thanks for your thoughts regarding a website. I do not want to spend a lot of money on one, since I have one for me personally, but I am nervous about being limited to 3 pages via vistaprint. However, for the unlimited service, it is too pricey.

Has anyone done any fundraiser events?

saberger Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #191 of 716

AWESOME! Okay, after being on hold with Vistaprint for 15 minutes I found out that I can get the domain name if I order one of the two higher packages. Then I called GoDaddy, since I already have my 'biz' domain with them to see what my options are. And I found out that I can just buy a domain name and add it onto my already existing package! SOOOO, I only pay $10.98 for the year! I can handle that. Now to see if I can take the helping hands logo and use it on my site.

saberger Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #192 of 716

After MUCH tribulation last night, I FINALLY got the home page up for the NJ site. Still have more pages to go, but it has been a nightmare just to get this far. Thanks Mindy!!!!

www.freecakesforkidsNJ.com

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:14pm
post #193 of 716

Does anyone know if the Helping Hands logo belongs to VistaPrint and FCFC is simply using their template? Or is the graphic FCFK's? If it's VistaPrint's can we use it on another web host?

Brenda0217 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:31pm
post #194 of 716

I believe it it is Free Cakes, but not really sure, but in my emails to me from Toni and them, they say to go to vistaprint.com to get their logo, and it is a new logo for Free Cakes. That is why I am under the impression that is is the organizations logo and not vistaprints.

saberger Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:02am
post #195 of 716

Maybe Vistaprint created it for them...they do offer that service.

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:20am
post #196 of 716

It just seemed like it was a template that anyone could use on Vistaprint, not specifically for Free Cakes.

Brenda0217 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:44am
post #197 of 716

Was just checking in to see if anyone had any updates they wanted to share on how they are coming along? I have sent an introduction letter with a flier to the Rescue Mission and the AGAPE Shelter were I live. They should receive it in a few days, since it is a holiday weekend. Then I will follow up with a phone call later in the week next week. So far I have just contaced agencies that I know deal with the families we want to help, then I will take my chances in putting the word out there, and then having to weed out the families that need us.

saberger Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:18am
post #198 of 716

That sounds great Brenda! Let's see, I got 3 pages up on my website (did I say thanks Mindy?) and I ordered biz cards and postcards from VistaPrint. I got it up on Facebook and have posted on my local cake club site. Most of it has been by word of mouth so far, because I wanted to have the site and materials in hand, but I have already cleared it to post a flier in a couple of places.

Brenda0217 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:40pm
post #199 of 716

I only ordered the business cards from vistaprint for now. and you just reminded me, my hairdresser has her own shop and said I could put up a flier in her shop, need to do that yet, thanks for reminding me saberger. My daughter I think was going to help me put it on facebook, I think it was, since she is more computer savvy than me.

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:26pm
post #200 of 716

I wanted to say I just sent in a request for an application. I can't express how excited I would be to help with something like this.

Thank you for posting.

saberger Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:43pm
post #201 of 716

getting on facebook is super easy. But I don't do twitter.

Brenda0217 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:22pm
post #202 of 716

welcome blu_canary, most of us are just getting starting with this organization, so if there are any questions let us know, maybe one of us can help. all I can say for now to you is just be very patient, because they are very busy the organizers, just hang in there, most of us have been through that part, but we are here to help if needed. As soon as I get my daughter to help with the facebook saberger I will let you, because I will be too excited and will have to tell someone. LOL..

saberger Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #203 of 716

I had two ideas. One...is there anyway to set up a support site for us on facebook or somewhere like that. I have a feeling that this forum will end up having so many pages!

Two....I am going to ask my cousin to translate my site and flyers into Spanish as well.

Welcome blu_canary!

saberger Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:46pm
post #204 of 716

I forgot to mention an idea I had for getting donations made to FCFKNJ! Whenever I make friends or family free cakes (NOT for the organization, mind you), I will ask them to make a donation to a worthy cause (FCFKNJ) rather than pay me. Hope it works!

Brenda0217 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:16pm
post #205 of 716

I put in my fliers that all money donations be made at the main website for free cakes for kids, (providing they have a computer and can). That way I do not have to deal with the money part, we still have alot to figure out with all this, LOL...it will take us time and together we will figure it all out. Yes, both languages sounds nice for you to do, reach more families that way also. Good idea.

cs_confections Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:22pm
post #206 of 716

I could set up a support page on Facebook. I already have my chapter on there and can add a second seperate page.

What do you want it to be called? It can't be too long. CCFCFK?

mindy1204 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:29pm
post #207 of 716

saberger you are more than welcome for the advice on the website. I am glad it worked out.

Things are slow going for me as well. I do have my first cake due at the end of the month. I have been in contact with the salvation army and they seem very interested and offered me to come and tour the childrens homes, so hopefully I will do that next week.

I was very busy with getting the kids back to school and such that I havent had alot of time to devote to it but this week should be better and I will send some emails out. I still havent gotten the business cards printed but I do have fliers.

On a wonderful note... a co-worker of mine has been hearing me talk about the FCFK and on her lunch break she went and bought me some cake mixes. It wasnt alot but considering 2 weeks prior her husband was laid off it meant so much to me. It was all I could do not to cry in front of her!!

[/list]

Brenda0217 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:44pm
post #208 of 716

Mindy, you are off to a good start, way to go. we have to remember to, we are doing this while some of us are taking care of kids, husbands, household and whatever else comes our way. We all are like voulunteering our time to schedule cakes for these kids, and doing a wonderful job when we get orders for them. will you PM me when you have your picture of your first order? Would love to see your first cake for Free Kids. I was thinking of the salvation army also, but did not get as far as you did yet. I am all excited for you, can not wait to hear how your first cake goes down with the family, remember to take a picture of the cake, and if you can get one with the child too with the cake to keep for your self. That way you know how many childrens lives you have touched while doing this through out the up coming years.

mindy1204 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm
post #209 of 716

Thank you Brenda.. my first cake is actually for a place called Alpha House, it is a homeless pregnacy center. They have decided to have monthly birthday parties for the girls. They feel this will show them that they are cared about and how to have parties for their own kids. It is an honor to do this for them. i will however post a photo. Still not sure what I want to do for it yet.

Brenda0217 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:54pm
post #210 of 716

Can they give you ideas from each birthday girl and put that on the cake? Or can you make small cake for each girl? Did they give details and colors of what they would like on the cake? Flavor? I know doing a cake for each one would take time, but I mean like a really small one of some sorts if there are not that many have a birthday that month. But if you have to do one regular size cake, I would try to get input on each of the birthday girls likes and colors, at least you would have something to go by.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%