What Is Coconut Cream And Where Do You Buy It?

Decorating By Ruth0209 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm by Ruth0209

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 10

I've never heard of this product until I started looking for a coconut cake recipe and see it listed as an ingredient in a lot of them, i.e., 8 oz. can of coconut cream.

Maybe it's been there at the grocery store and I've just never seen it because I wasn't looking. Or is it a specialty item?

Thanks a bunch!!

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 10

It is a milk product - like evaporated milk - that is available in many larger grocery stores.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 10

Yes, they come in cans. Most Asian grocery stores has them.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:26am
post #4 of 10

Actually, it's a non-dairy product, kakeladi.

It's thicker and richer than coconut milk. Comes in a can, and can be found, as mentioned, in Asian stores, and it the Asian foods section of the grocery store.

Make sure you don't confuse coconut cream with cream of coconut, which is a completely different product, used in the making of drinks such as piña coladas. It is already sweetened.

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:38am
post #5 of 10

I buy my mine at regular grocery stores. Look in the alcohol section that is where the grocery stores in my area stock it.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 10

Here in OZ, you can buy it at the grocery shop in the same section with asian curry pastes.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 10

Just for info

Coconut cream is very similar to coconut milk but contains less water. The difference is mainly consistency. It has a thicker, more paste-like consistency, while coconut milk is generally a liquid. It is used as an ingredient in cooking.
Coconut cream can be made by simmering 1 part shredded coconut with one part water or milk until frothy, then straining the mixture through a cheesecloth, squeezing out as much liquid as possible; this is coconut milk. The coconut milk is refrigerated and allowed to set. Coconut cream is the thick non-liquid part that separates and rises to the top of the coconut milk.
Coconut cream has a mild non sweet taste.

--from wiki

Ruth0209 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone. That helps a lot. Maybe now I can find it or make it myself.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 10

Yes, we Asians rock.

Ruth0209 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 10

I just wish we had a more diverse population where I live so ethnic food items were easier to find. It's getting better over the years, but there's some stuff I just can't find. Frustrating!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%