Washing Pastry Bags

Decorating By jimandmollie Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 9:12pm by poohsmomma

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 5

OK, I just realized there has to be an easier way to do this. How do you guys deal with this particular chore?

Has anyone figured out a way to toss them into the dishwasher? I was thinking maybe I could put one of those metal rivet things onto one and then it could be slid down over one of the spikes in the dishwasher to kind of hold it in place. Anyone tried this? Does it work?

Is there another secret here that I am missing?

4 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 5

I recycle lots of stuff, and am normally VERY anti-disposable, but I do use Kee-Seal disposable bags.

Canvas bags never really feel 'clean' to me.

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 5

I use the poly-reusable bags. I turn them inside out and just toss them in the top rack of the dishwasher. My dishwasher has the jets on top and bottom so it gets really clean. Plus the dishwasher has a sanitizer setting which is nice. Every so often, especially if I've been using red icing I'll soak them in a bleach solution before putting them in the dishwasher. I dislike canvas bags to, but more because they are harder to clean, especially when the plastic lining separates.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 5

i fill the sink with soapy hot water and put my bags in and let them sit for a couple of hours, and then drain the sink, and repeat the process a few more times. i've never had to sit and wash bags since i started doing cakes years ago. icon_wink.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 5

Although I am usually very "green" and am greatly aware of my carbon footprint....I figure I can tiptoe through the disposable bags and it won't hurt mother earth too much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%