How Do I Make A Fondant Life Preserver?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 4:32pm by diane

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:23am
post #1 of 7

I figure I can cut them out using 2 different sized circle cutters, but how do you get the rounded edges?

6 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #2 of 7

As you said, I would cut a very thick "donut" out of fondant and simply use my fingers to shape and round out the edges. Also, you could roll a thick log and form the preserver, if you plan to put ropes/bands on the preserver, one could go over the seam.

Jeniwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeniwin Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:48am
post #3 of 7

How big do you need it? I did these with gumpaste and a 1.25" cutter. Rounded edges with my fingers.

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks, I'll try it!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

As you said, I would cut a very thick "donut" out of fondant and simply use my fingers to shape and round out the edges. Also, you could roll a thick log and form the preserver, if you plan to put ropes/bands on the preserver, one could go over the seam.

that's exactly how i would do it!!! thumbs_up.gif

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:45am
post #6 of 7

I would do this using the same method I use for bagels. Roll yourself a nice ball of fondant then poke your finger through the center so it's hanging off your finger like a fat ring. This way you don't have to worry about seams and you get the nice round edges.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lngo

I would do this using the same method I use for bagels. Roll yourself a nice ball of fondant then poke your finger through the center so it's hanging off your finger like a fat ring. This way you don't have to worry about seams and you get the nice round edges.

neat idea! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%