Roll Call: What's Your Life Outside Of Cakes?

Lounge By auntmamie Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 5:00am by SugarFrosted

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:33pm
post #61 of 92

1. Born in, have always, and will always live in Frankfort, KY. Couldn't blow me outta this small town with a bomb! The good thing about my town is that you can get to the other side of it in five minutes. The bad thing about my town is that there's nothing on the other side either.

2. Director of Human Resources for a multi-bank holding company, where I've worked in various positions for 32 years, HR about 20-ish. ( Criminy... that's a long time...) My aspirations are to get the heck outta corporate Dodge and into a licensed cake kitchen as a post-retirement career.

3. From Items 1 & 2 you might deduce that I tend to stick with things... not necessarily! Been married three times, and finally got it right with #3 19 years ago. DH is my exact opposite, and we are so good for each other. I have two sons from my first marriage, and they have each provided for us one precious grandchild, a girl and a boy. DH has never been around children and is quite enchanted by the little creatures. DH and I are both cat lovers, he a little more so than I. A wayward cat brought us together all those years ago. At the peak of our cat foolery, we had 19. We are down to 10, with one very ill and the oldest doing fine at age 21; the youngest is 11. We stopped adopting with the youngest from fear any younger cats would likely outlive us! (Don't worry about my kitchen - kitties all live in their very own 500 sq ft regally appointed basement apartment, called Kitty Kingdom by the grandchildren!)

mermaidontop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidontop Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:15pm
post #62 of 92

I live in Northern California, Rocklin to be exact. Lived in Monterey prior, born in LA. I'm a Neonatal nurse and my hubby a firefighter in Carmel. We have 2 sons, 5yr and 15yr old. Took cake classes in LA a few years ago and have been making them for a hobby.

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:51am
post #63 of 92

Ooooh fun! Can I play?

I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. It's about 45 minutes from the Minnesota border. It's a city of about 110,000 people that, oddly, has one of the highest concentration of Finnish-speaking people outside of Finland.

I'm an administrative assistant for a nonprofit organization that supports individuals with acquired brain injuries, which sounds semi-impressive but actually mainly involves photocopying, answering the phone and turning off my brain for 8 hours a day. I got into caking for the challenge! icon_biggrin.gif Before this job I worked from home as a medical transcriptionist for 8 years.

He-Whose-Socks-I-Pick-Up and I have been together for 12 years, though haven't quite got around to the big party with the poufy white dress. I have 2 stepchildren who live in Alberta and Newfoundland, and a 4-year old dog named Buddy who thinks he's a person.

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 6:43pm
post #64 of 92

This is such a great thread!

1. My "home" is and always will be Claremore, OK, but right now, I live at 9300 ft in the Colorado foothills, and I love it.

2. I have been a family physician for 14 years and will start pastry school to become a pastry chef in January. I have baked cookies for as long as I can remember, but have only been doing cakes for a couple of years. I love to do triathlons, hike, kayak, and camp.

3. I have been married to my soul mate and best friend for 12 years and our 13 year old "daughter" is a black lab, named Belle. My two sisters, who still live in Claremore, are my best girl friends.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:17pm
post #65 of 92

I live in Gothenburg, Sweden. But I go for business trips to the US a couple of times per year. Usually Greensboro or Allentown.

Kiddikakes - I've been to Calgary and Kananaskis! Loved it there - saw a lot of wildlife and did some skiing. But mostly I worked...I was shipped there with 3 containers of IT equipment to set up a big conference and NOTHING worked. So I had to work around the clock for 3 days.....

I work with IT development within the vehicle industry. I need caking to not loose my soul....something that is beautiful, creative and fun!

I'm married since one year and have a 2 year old daughter. We live in a nice suburb and my mom and brother with his family lives a few miles away.

daisyjenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyjenn Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #66 of 92

Hello all

1-I currently live in Las Vegas, NV
2- I am a Independent Tastefully Simple Consultant and love it!!
3- I have been married for 14yrs and have a 10yr old and 7yr old

usaribbon.gif

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #67 of 92

I love threads like these, it's so nice to learn more about everyone!

1. I live in Southern Virginia, in a tiny little town right next to the North Carolina border.
2. By day I'm a customer service development manager for a trucking company; I manage 6 offices around the country. It's always a challenge managing people long distance and I do more traveling that I would like, but I enjoy my job.
3. Next month my husband and I will celebrate our 14th anniversary. I have a daughter turning 10 on Monday and a 7 year old son.

Daisyjenn, we have matching families!

daisyjenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyjenn Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #68 of 92

shelbur10

We do have matching families. How funny!
Even funnier is that my daughter is the 10 yr old
and my son is the 7yr old just like you.

My hubby is Air Force and we almost got orders to a base in NC.

cheesecakekathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakekathy Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:52am
post #69 of 92

Hello everyone - I am a newbie;

Where do I live - Well I live In Southbend, Indiana

(Not too far from you kakeladi - icon_smile.gif )

What do I do - I am a Trauma Coordinator in local hospital.

Who is my family - I am recently married of 4 mos. two my second husband. I have two adult daughters ( 20 & 22) and also I have a 10 year old daughter and a very active kitten. (BENJI) icon_razz.gif

I am also grand ma of two.

Ashlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashlynn Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:09pm
post #70 of 92

1. Im from Lebanon Ohio, its a very very small town. Known mostly for our apple fest.

2. Im a Wing Walker (On a PT-17 Stearman) and a fire fighter, I guess if you combine them both it makes me a little crazy icon_lol.gif

3. I have a wonderful Boyfriend named Christopher who can actually put up with my crazy life. Planning a wedding for sometime next year. Nothing official yet.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #71 of 92

Where do you live?

Newnan, GA (about 40 minutes southwest of Atlanta)

What do you do?

Well, technically I am a substitute teacher, but with the current economy, haven't had many jobs last year or this.

Most of my time is spent either at church (I'm in the choir, teach children's Sunday School, am the secretary of our chapter of Daughter's of the King, am the music librarian, assist with children's choir, help with Wednesday night suppers and receptions, and am on the Parish Hall Remodelling commitee) or doing things for church (right now I'm working on sewing new altar cloths for the children's chapel).

I'm also working on 2 books (a cook book and a novel) -- AND trying to start 2 home-based businesses (jewelery making and cookies/cakes).

Somewhere between all of that I do housework, usually not as often as I should! icon_cool.gif

Who is your family?

My DH and I have been married for 7-1/2 wonderful years and we have had our fur-baby, a little gray kitty named Mouse, for 5 years.

We don't have any children of our own (my "children" are my nephews, my friends' childern, and the kids at church).

My parents, sister and her 4 awesome boys, my grandmother, and my aunts/uncles/cousins all live 8 hours away in NC icon_sad.gif (but I stay in close contact with them all), and I'm not close with my DH family, so my "family" here are my friends and church family.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #72 of 92

Hello everyone!!

I live in Cypress, Texas (just outside, and I mean just outside of Houston). I was born and raised in Houston, I love Houston, I love Texas, and it's going to take something big to get me to move.

I work in the Oil and Gas Industry and have for 22 years.

My wonderful husband and I have been married for 14 years (15 in December) and we have a very active, beautiful 3 year old (in a couple of weeks) daughter who is the love of both of our lives.

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #73 of 92

Where do I live?
I am originally from Tampa, Florida. I never lived anywhere else until 4 yrs ago. I met my husband playing an online game. We dated long distance for a while. He called me one day and asked me if I would move if he built me a home. I said yes..... (the short version)

He popped the question on Christmas day 2007 and we were married 2 days later.

What do I do?
I am a Hazardous Materials Coordinator/technical support person at an automobile assembly plant.

My family? I have 3 grown children. Two live in Tampa and one lives near me. I am a very proud grandmother of 2 boys and 1 girl.

I love to sing, enjoy playing the keyboard, and the fife, flower arranging, and now cake decorating. I recently graduated from college so I had to find something else to fill my time.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #74 of 92

ShellyMJ, you just don't find too many people that play the fife or know what it is, so I had to reply. I was in an all girl drum and bugle corp in High School and I played the fife and the bells.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:45pm
post #75 of 92

I just have one question:
There's REALLY a life outside of cakes? icon_eek.gif
No kidding? icon_surprised.gif
Dang! Why didn't someone TELL me this kind of stuff! icon_cry.gif

ShelleyMJ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #76 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwebb68

ShellyMJ, you just don't find too many people that play the fife or know what it is, so I had to reply. I was in an all girl drum and bugle corp in High School and I played the fife and the bells.

I was in the Orlando Early American Fife and Drum corps when I was a child. I had the honor of playing with the Son's of Liberty in Walt Disney World on a couple of occasions. I was also a member of the Liberty Fife and Drum Corps in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Playing the fife is one of the joys of my life. You are correct.... Not many know what it is.

It is nice to connect with someone else that plays!

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #77 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnfrompa

1. I'm from Pennsylvania.

2. Outside of baking for a hobby I am a SAHM. I have 4 kids, 3 boys and 1 girl.

3. I have been married for 10 years in November. With the boys all in different sports I am constantly running from 1 practice to another. The oldest (13) is in football, the second (11) is a soccer player the third (7) is a baseball player. My girl (4) hasn't started anything yet, she is my little helper. Wanting to get her a play kitchen so she can pretend bake like me rather than using my pans icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi Lynn:
Where in pa do you live? I live near Pittsburgh.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:48pm
post #78 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholden

Hi everyone. This is my first ever post!

I live in a small town south of Indianapolis, IN. I am a lifer here as is my husband of 23yrs. Wow, can I be that old! We have two children. Our son is 20 and will be starting his third year of college soon. Our daughter is 17 and is looking forward to her senior year of high school.

I have been a hair designer for 24yrs. and a salon owner for 10yrs. The cake obsession took me by surprise. My daughter and I signed up for a Wilton class in May of 08. For me, it was love at first lesson. I have learned so much from this site and can't wait for more!

Thanks!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Welcome, You will learn a ton of valuable information from the wonderful folks on this site!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:57pm
post #79 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholden

Hi everyone. This is my first ever post!

I live in a small town south of Indianapolis, IN. I am a lifer here as is my husband of 23yrs. Wow, can I be that old! We have two children. Our son is 20 and will be starting his third year of college soon. Our daughter is 17 and is looking forward to her senior year of high school.

If you get up in the Indy area, look me up! I've married to current hubby for 21 years and our youngest is 17!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:56am
post #80 of 92

1) born and raised in New Orleans; Live in the burbs now

2) Practicing RN for 13 years, then SAHM for last 9 years... then caker full time last 6-7 years or so?

3) married 24.5 years; 2 boys ( 16 and 20) and tons of extended family

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:30am
post #81 of 92

Ok, I'll play!

1. We just moved to a fantastic home outside of Ottawa, Ontario. Prior to that we were living in the west end.

2. I have a background in Operations Management and Senior Account Management. I'm awaiting news on a new job offer right now; so fingers crossed - I should hear something next week.

3. My BF and I have been together for about 9 months now. Long story short he was the geek in college and I wouldn't give him a chance. We met again last January at the same college (we were both there doing course work - him with the military, and me because I was taking a break from my career). And I guess the rest is history so they say. We now live in our fantastic new house outside the city limits. We have two dogs; Winter and Hunter. My parents live in the west end of the city and they are fantastic. They are taking care of my two Siamese kittens who are also the loves of my life. When I had to move back home to go to school I brought my kittens with me - my Mom (who never wanted pets again after our last family dog), has now absolutely fallen in love with them. I think they are the best gift I could have ever given her.

And that's about it! I've traveled the world because my Dad was in the air force for quite some time - so I had a ton of experiences when I was younger that I wouldn't give up for anything. Now? My passions are photography, outdoors/camping/hiking (geocaching might be a part of this list soon), caking, etc. I've learned that there's more to life then a big career - and of all people I never thought I'd say those words... oh the things you learn. icon_biggrin.gif

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:57pm
post #82 of 92

Married 7 years, 2 kids (8 and 5)

ShelleyMJ Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #83 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3sc3n7

Yay another Kentucky! I live near Bowling Green in Russellville/Auburn area.

Thank you for your service to our country! May God bless you and keep you safe always!

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:14pm
post #84 of 92

I live in Cedar Springs, MI

I work for a company that makes water purifing equipment and self serve car wash equpment. I'm one of the sales people. Cakes help me to forget about work for a few hours.

I have been married for 4 years in Nov. I have 3 grown step daughters, two of them live with us. I had my 1st child, a girl in June.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #85 of 92

This is interesting and fun!

I live in Union NJ, which is about 40 minutes from NYC. People come from all over the world to visit New York and I only go there about once or twice a year.

I am a School Psychologist in an urban school district. I love baking, but I only make cakes for friends and family. I find it to be relaxing this way and not stressful.

I've been with my DH for 11 years and we have 2 great boys who are 9 and 7. They play baseball, so that keeps us busy. I'm also active on my kid's school PTA and always keeping busy with friends and family. It's certainly not a perfect life but it is a great one and I consider myself to be very fortunate and blessed.

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #86 of 92

Cop...15 years...make cakes, write tickets and write for a few magazines.
Durham NC
Family....makes moonshine...got to love em.

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:11pm
post #87 of 92

I live in Southeast Ky. I have been married to my wonderful husband, Michael, for 16 years. We started "dating" when I was 13 yrs old and he was 14 and we have been together ever since. We have 4 beautiful children ages 13, 9, 6 and 3. I am a SAHM and also homeschool my kids. I love my life and wouldn't change it if I could!

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:42pm
post #88 of 92

1. I live in east TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

I'm Nana too! The boys are my biggest cake fans! The little one always says "Nana ---Cake"! LOL.

My grandson[3 yrs old] calls me grandma cake!!!
2. My dh and I are merchandisers[ we go in to stores and rearrange the products all of the time, so you can't find them the next time you go in!!LOL]
and we also service the greeting cards in 10 stores,putting up all of the new seasons and restocking the regular ones. Keeps us busy.
3.I got married the first time at age 19 and was married to him for 15 yrs when we lost him in a boating accident .
my current[and final] dh and I have been together for 7 yrs and married for 5. I have 3 dds and he has 2, ages 24,33, 37,38,and 38,I had a son who was 32 who passed away last year, and we have 10 grandkids, ranging in age from 21yrs-16 months
I just do cakes for family and friends

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:43am
post #89 of 92

I am from Coshocton, Ohio.

I work in a sewing factory making our great American Flag. I am trying self-teach myself cake designing to earn extra money from home.

I have been married to my DH Ed for 20 years. We have been together 21-1/2 years. I helped him raise his three children from his previous marriage, we also have two of our own (Katelyn- who started college this year to become a music teacher and is 19) and my other daughter (Shelby who is in band and plays trombone, sousaphone, baratone, mirimba, and tuba; and who is also involved in chamber choir, certified gold choir, and caribbean band). Yeah, I like to brag on my kids. I also have 7 grandchildren by my stepchildren, and another one on the way by marriage.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:53am
post #90 of 92

d3sc3n7 Thank you for your service to our country. We all owe you a debt that can never be repaid. Best wishes for you and yours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%