How To Learn Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By Mom2LiamandQuinn Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 1:04am by nicolesprinkle

Mom2LiamandQuinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 7

I'm not really in a location to take classes from the "big names" and can't afford to travel at this point. But I want to move past the basics. How did you learn to make flowers? What tools should I buy (brand, etc.) I have some of the International School of Sugarcraft books- are they a good place to start?

6 replies
bourbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bourbs Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of 7

This is an awesome kit with lots of cutters and very clear directions and it's not expensive! I started with this after reading that many I admire started with this kit.
It's a Wilton Flower Making Kit

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D6EB-475A-BAC0-5E5EF66C57041711

Hope this helps!
Marie

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:37am
post #3 of 7

I suggest you pick one flower, and start there. Get a good ball tool (i have a metal one that is my favorite) Get the cutters/veiners for that flower. Scott Clark Woolley has very good cutters and veiners that are reasonably priced.

Then if you can buy a fresh flower so that you can take it apart and study it. Then go from there for your colors and layout of the petals.

I think its best to perfect one flower before moving on to the next. One of the easiest flowers to make in gumpaste is the Calla Lilly it is a great place to start with.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:52am
post #4 of 7

You can also check Youtube for tutorials. It is a great way to visualize the process.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:52am
post #5 of 7

Youtube baby.... icon_smile.gif Watch all you can

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:01am
post #6 of 7

There are some really great DVDs out there. Scott Clark Wooley's are top notch, but very expensive. Nick Lodges are great too and much more reasonably priced.

I can honestly say that I learned more from the DVD's than from any of the classes I have taken. You can start and stop the DVD and work right along with them.

What State are you in?

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:04am
post #7 of 7

Here are some links! I went overboard, but I love tutorials! Some of these are cake tutorials also!

OK! Some of these are flowers or other figures!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%