My First Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By lthiele Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 1:17am by akgirl10

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 16

So after countless hours on CC reading I decided to try a FBCT for my friends daughter's 3rd birthday. She wanted Ariel. You can tell it's Ariel and i was happy with the colours, but I was way off on the thickness of the BC I used. It actually looked better on the back than the front because I painstakingly used a hot knife to smooth it all out, somehow thinking it would be doing the same on the right side - NOT!

When I tried to thin my icing it started to separate and I really had to mix it hard to get it back, so question:
"What does FLOODING consistency look like for buttercream?" Does it run freely off a spoon or spatula?

I also used writing icing for the border which did NOT go hard even after 2 days in the freezer. I couldn't find a black ready made fudge icing in Oz. I also fiddled with it once it was on the cake which was a mistake (you can see on her right arm.)

I learnt so much from just jumping in and trying one - mostly what NOT to do next time. I really enjoy doing kids cakes so would like to get much better at this technique.

If anyone has any helpful tips - I will soak up your wisdom, I am a CC sponge at the moment! TIA
Lauren icon_smile.gif
LL

15 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 16

It turned out great for your first time. Sometimes things look easy to do - but they just aren't! I'm sure that your daughter loved it! And I bet it tasted super yummy!

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 16

Looks great for your first try. thumbs_up.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 16

You have more nerve than I do. I think the first one for me is going to be a snowman. I too would love to know how thin the BC has to be.

lthiele Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:54am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

You have more nerve than I do. I think the first one for me is going to be a snowman. I too would love to know how thin the BC has to be.

A snowman sounds like a good place to start - not too many small details, post a pic for us to see! (I love your signature line too - I totally agree some days! lol)

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I was really nervous to post my most novice work on CC! icon_wink.gif

Abbiedal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbiedal Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 11:43am
post #6 of 16

wow that was your first one it came out great!!! Good job

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 16

Heheheheh, I would do a snowman because they are supposed to look like blobs and I am sure that is exactly what mine would look like. I am probably better off sticking with my cut out fondant pieces but at some point I will give it a shot. I just never have time to try a new technique when doing a cake because I am a home baker and just need to get them done. I really dont know how people do the practice cakes. The last thing I need is cake sitting around when I am trying to get these 40 lbs off my butt. Who knows, maybe someone will order a blob cake! icon_wink.gif

sexydolphin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexydolphin Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #8 of 16

Very nice!!!

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #9 of 16

Well Lauren you inspired me to try. I was going to do Ariel but then I chickened out. This week I had the chance to do the elephant from Alabama's Crimson Tide. Still can't figure out that connections. Any ways... it was a learning process. I'm pleased with it but hope to do better in the future. I'll try and attach a cake. If not, then I'll put it in my album or whatever it is on here. Oops I think it is too big.

Thanks for posting... you got me to try!

Linda

lthiele Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:19am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone

Well Lauren you inspired me to try. I was going to do Ariel but then I chickened out. This week I had the chance to do the elephant from Alabama's Crimson Tide. Still can't figure out that connections. Any ways... it was a learning process. I'm pleased with it but hope to do better in the future. I'll try and attach a cake. If not, then I'll put it in my album or whatever it is on here. Oops I think it is too big.

Thanks for posting... you got me to try!

Linda

Oh my goodness Linda - that elephant logo is AWESOME!!!! You really put me to shame! Now you have inspired me to have another go and do much better! What was your icing consistency like and what did you thin it down with? It really looks fantastic!

keystone Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 16

That's nice to say but you are the reason I did it! I used the recipe on here for FBCT. I can find it if you can't. I didn't thin for the outline. It was firm for that part. Then for the rest... mixed it more and added just a touch of water. It said "writing consistency" so I had to think about that. It was softer and more fluid? (does that make sense?) I will try again. I was nervous. Thanks for getting me to try this. If you make another... tell me.

Linda

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 16

I love Ariel and the elephant transfer...guess I'll have to try a FBT. I've gotten stuck on chocolate transfers, and really like the way they turn out!

keystone Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 16

I'm always doing the chocolate transfers but I broke Ariel in this warm weather! I like them because I can make them stand up. This was harder for me than the chocolate transfer but I didn't want to make grey so that made me attempt the FBCT.

lthiele Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #14 of 16

Linda did you make all those characters on your Winnie the Pooh cake with chocolate? Is it the same sort of process as the FBCT, as in trace an outline and then fill in?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:23pm
post #15 of 16

good for you...your cake turned out great!

now go and try some other techniques!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #16 of 16

I'm also too chicken to try a buttercream transfer, so I stick to chocolate ones. I also like that you can stand them up. And the chocolate hardens instantly, so there's very little downtime when making one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%