Milk Allergy...need Help With Recipe

Baking By G_Cakes Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 9:49pm by diane

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 12

I have been asked to do a cake for a baby shower coming up on August 16th.

I am doing a small belly cake for the shower covered with buttercream and fondant.

I received an email today from the person throwing the shower stating that there would be a family member there who suffers from a milk allergy.

Most of my cakes are home made, using milk, butter, cream or what ever the recipe calls for.

I could do a cake mix and doctor it but am worried that in may contain some form of dairy...does anyone have a chocolate recipe that does not use any dairy?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to your input icon_smile.gif

11 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:58am
post #2 of 12

Here's a highly rated scratch chocolate cake recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dark-Chocolate-Cake-I/Detail.aspx

Just substitute margarine for the butter and you should be good to go. icon_smile.gif

HTH

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you so much icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 12

You're most welcome. icon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 12

word of caution icon_redface.gif ...i have milk allergies and i can only eat "country crock margarine." all of the other margarines cause reactions to me, so please be aware of that. read the ingredients to any margarine brands, even though they are margarines, many do contain ingredients that will cause reactions to those who have milk allergies. icon_wink.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 12

FYI-- You can try to google Wacky Cake... some recipes call for oil instead of butter. My friend has a son with a milk allergy and she loves the recipe. She uses it when ever she needs a choc cake.

Have fun!!

diane Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamom

FYI-- You can try to google Wacky Cake... some recipes call for oil instead of butter. My friend has a son with a milk allergy and she loves the recipe. She uses it when ever she needs a choc cake.

Have fun!!

good point! i forgot about that. actually, oil is better when making chocolate cakes...so that would be the best way to go! thumbs_up.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 12

My son has a milk allergy, so I am also very used to reading labels and cooking for him. Most margarines have milk in them. The "Earth Balance" soy margarine is milk-free. You can also use butter-flavored Crisco in place of butter, but the result will never be the same.

All cake mixes I have ever read the labels for have milk in them.

Here are a couple of milk free recipes:

(White or Angel Food cake) Gone with the Wind Cake.

Eggless, Milkless, Butterless Chocolate Cake.

I have made the chocolate one, I find it to be ok - a little bland, but not bad. However, my son didn't like it. icon_cry.gif But he's a picky little turd. icon_rolleyes.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 12

Also, you can't use any butter in your buttercream. And if you use shortening-based, don't use the recipe that calls for Dream Whip, because that has milk in it too.

It's the perfect occasion for Wilton Class Buttercream.

diane Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamom

Have fun!!

good point! i forgot about that. actually, oil is better when making chocolate cakes...so that would be the best way to go! thumbs_up.gif

JanH Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:37pm
post #11 of 12

Fleischmann's unsalted stick margarine doesn't contain any dairy products. icon_smile.gif

HTH

diane Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:49pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

My son has a milk allergy, so I am also very used to reading labels and cooking for him. Most margarines have milk in them. The "Earth Balance" soy margarine is milk-free. You can also use butter-flavored Crisco in place of butter, but the result will never be the same.

All cake mixes I have ever read the labels for have milk in them.

Here are a couple of milk free recipes:

(White or Angel Food cake) Gone with the Wind Cake.

Eggless, Milkless, Butterless Chocolate Cake.

I have made the chocolate one, I find it to be ok - a little bland, but not bad. However, my son didn't like it. icon_cry.gif But he's a picky little turd. icon_rolleyes.gif

i'v got to try that brand...i didn't know it contained no milk products! icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%