Martha Stewart..you Are Killin Me!! I Need Help W This One

Decorating By alwaysbridal Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm by cylstrial

alwaysbridal Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:34am
post #1 of 15

I feel Horrible but I've tried several things to upload this picture from martha Stewart site but After 2 hrs I give up the cake I have questions on is on her site www.marthstewartweddings.com
The name of the cake is with a flourish and its in Something blue cakes or you can do a search for with a flourish. I love this cake so I'm excited to do it for a bride that requested it, but I'm finding myself a little overwhelmed. she is only have 200 guest so I plan to use a few cake dummies. But here are the questions..
*What size cakes do you think they used, 14,12,10,8,6?
*What layers should I do Dummies? the 4th?
*With the floating layers on 2 and 4 do I use a regular cardboard cake board underneath? I've never done floating tiers before?
*The small 2" layers they have , I was thinking of using 2" specialty ordered cake dummies? Think that will add support, plus I dont need the cake?
*Should I do a standard stacking construction? using dowels on each layer and then buying a large wooden dowel that I can purchase at a craft store that can be sharpened at one end and inserted with tapping of hammer through the cakes, boards, and dummies?
*Would you construct the cake there (stack and dowel) or just do it before delivery? I will have about 5 miles to travel?
Thanks for all your time,effort and help!!

14 replies
antonia74 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 10:02am
post #2 of 15

It was a cake featured in the Fall 2007 issue of Martha Stewart's Weddings magazine, if you can get your hands on a copy of it?

It usually has very clear step-by-step instructions at the back of the magazine for each cake featured inside, that would answer most of your questions here about sizing and construction. icon_smile.gif

BTW, your link won't work because you forgot the "a" in Martha icon_wink.gif

cylstrial Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:50am
post #3 of 15
cylstrial Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:57am
post #4 of 15

Whoo hoo! The link works. Now the question is...did I find the right cake?

If so, that cake looks like it would be very hard and time consuming to make. Charge a bundle!

Kimmers971 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 15

If cylstrial has the right cake, here is the link to the original article with all the instructions you need. http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/calligraphy-and-cakes-with-a-flourish?autonomy_kw=flourish

Good Luck & Post Pics when you're done!

cylstrial Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:29pm
post #6 of 15

WOW Kimmers - those instructions are awesome! I don't know how you found those!

That's funny too though. I thought they had piped those onto the cake. I had no idea they piped the pattern on the wax paper and then put them on the cake.

I just did a Martha cake last month. That's the exact same technique I had to use on mine as well. (The image, wax paper, piping, lifting it off, attaching it). It's the damask cake. It's the last cake that I uploaded.

To the OP - make sure you make lots of extra's as I did have several pieces that broke.

Kimmers971 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 15

cylstrial that cake is beautiful. I can only hope to learn to do this someday icon_smile.gif I'll certainly be hanging onto the Martha link - as I'm sure I'll never find it again icon_biggrin.gif

minicuppie Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 15

There is an RI product on the market that will make flexible decorations. There is a whole special icing pen thing that you can buy to work it but it looks like it can be piped on wax or parchment.

alwaysbridal Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks for all your information. I have the piping covered and already have the instruction templates for the piping I just wasn't sure how to go about all the other aspects of this cake. that I way undercharged for!! yikes icon_cry.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 15

This is a duplicate post, with many answers already on the other one. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbridal

Thanks for all your information. I have the piping covered and already have the instruction templates for the piping I just wasn't sure how to go about all the other aspects of this cake. that I way undercharged for!! yikes icon_cry.gif

Ok - you can't leave us hanging! icon_cry.gif
You have to tell us how much you charged her! Then we will probably have to send a smack your way. icon_razz.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 15

I was thinking the same thing, prematurely I hope though. That would be at least $9.00 a serving from this chick. icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 9:41pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I was thinking the same thing, prematurely I hope though. That would be at least $9.00 a serving from this chick. icon_biggrin.gif

It would seriously need to be a lot! That's a lot of hard work.

alwaysbridal Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:24am
post #14 of 15

Holy canoli!! icon_surprised.gif I so deserve a smack!!! Shoot, I deserve a smack Down!
I only charged $5 a serving. What can I say. I'm a goof ball, hopefully I will get better at this pricing thing. It's so complicated and intimidating. icon_confused.gif Please tell me it gets easier. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate all of your precious time icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 15

You know AlwaysBridal, you probably should have charged more...but to honest with you, I'm astounded that you charged $5. When you said you were too low, I was thinking you were going to be doing $2 or $3 a slice. So I'm actually happy to hear that you are charging $5!

And now you know, charge even more!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%