Need Help Locating Large Glass Cake Plate

Decorating By pinkpiggie78 Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 2:47am by itsmylife

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 9

So I booked a wedding and went to purchase the cake plate that we decided on and it is no longer available. It had a diameter of 14" and apparently, they are rare. Does anyone have a good place for me to find one of these. I hunted ebay and did several google searches without success.

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 9

Have you tried to find just a sheet of glass (round or square?) and placing it on a stand (glass blocks, overturn vase, etc).

If it's not available, then it's not available. It's time to discuss alternatives.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the idea indydebi! That might make them happier... I can fill the glass vases with glass beads and seashells...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 9

Oh that's a great idea!! Something I learned from an engineer bride of mine. If you put some of the no-skid material between the vase and the sheet of glass, use either white or use a wedding color. The glass will pick up the color and will diffuse it thru the glass. So a purple piece of no-skid will send purple thru the glass.

I wasn't sure how that would work, but when I put orange no-skid between the glass, man, did it flow thru that glass! I was amazed! If I wanted orange to flow thru the glass, it was a perfect effect!

So just be careful if you do that.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 9

Definately wouldn't have thought about that... I was hoping my husband (who is very good with engineering and rigging things) would help with the "dynamics" of it. The more I thought about it the more excited I became. I am actually thinking about filling them about half way with sand and seashells and filling it the rest of the way with blue water (beach wedding of course!).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 9

Also look at places like Wal-Mart where they sell those little round tables - usually they have glass tops for them.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 9

I also suggest you check out Ross and Marshalls. They sometimes have a nice selection of plates.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #8 of 9

Check in the summer seasonal section for a round lazy susan and just use the glass.

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:47am
post #9 of 9

I did a wedding cake for a friend last year and had a hard time finding a clear glass base that was strong enough to hold the cake (my biggest concern was moving it, and those small, round glass tabletops that walmart sells were too thin).

I ended up going to a glass shop, told them what I wanted and what it was for, and for just over 20 bux I got a really nice, very thick piece of glass with a beautiful bevel on it (they did a fancy design on the bevel edge... it was gorgeous).

Anyhow... just another option for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%