Pictures Of Cakes As Examples

Business By csweetcakes Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 5:46pm by EatSomeCake

csweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csweetcakes Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:42am
post #1 of 8

I had a question or maybe more of a problem. I have an LLC and primarily did just special occasion cakes and have done wedding cakes as well but not as many as the SO cakes. I am trying to put together a photo book of the ones I have done but I wanted to also include some that I would be willing to do or have done only as a different amount of tiers, color, etc.... Is it ok to include photos of other people's wedding cakes as examples such as a whole section of stacked, section of separated with columns, fondant and buttercream? Do think it is a big turn off for brides to see others cakes and documented as such if half are from others and hald are mine? I have a huge bridal show coming up and don't have a problem with using just my pictures but just need some guidance. Anybody?

7 replies
SugaredUpinTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUpinTX Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:24am
post #2 of 8

If I were you I would atleast keep my personal photos seperate from the "inspirational" photos. As far as having other pictures for them to look at, I don't see where it would be much different than searching the internet for photos. If they are looking at the photos with you, then the two of you could mix and match different things that the bride likes and come up with a completely different cake.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:27am
post #3 of 8

When I was first starting I had all my pics on my site and then a links page. I would never have put others' photos on my site. I also had two binders.... one of my own and one of cakes I liked.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 8

I have two different books:

"This book is the books of cakes I have made.

This book is the book of photos of cakes I printed off when I worked for corporate america and didnt' feel like working, so I goofed off searching the 'net for wedding cakes and since they had this really great color printer just sitting there ...... ! Anyway, it's what I refer to as THe IDea Book."

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 8

Just be *super sure!* you can come very close to what you are showing as inspiration! I usually tell brides it may not be *exactly* the same but it will be so close.
I know most of us don't want people 'stealing' our pictures and passing them off as their work but.........don't we all show pix from books? It's the same idea. Know what you can do but don't say it's your work........be sure to label them ideas.
And........if possible give credit to whoever made it. Even if bride doesn't know who 'sandy decorator' is you have done your part to identify her.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 8

I had two books as well when I started. One of a few dummy cakes, although I never told them they were dummies. Then one of other photos that were at my current skill set.

I just printed the photos and put them in a book, w/ the artist name at the bottom. No one said anything, I booked several clients that way and built up my portfolio. I also told the prospect that "I will always tell you if there is a design that I am not comfortable doing, no one ever picked anything that was really extreme though.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 8

cakeforte, i also never put a photo in the book that I wasn't sure I could make.

I also explained it as:

"Cake making is like any other craft. If I can knit, then I can follow any pattern to make any sweater. (I touch the book of my pics) This book shows you that I can knit. (I touch the book of internet pics) This book is the collection of sweater patterns."

They got it. Everytime.

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 8

I think it's fine as long as you list the source and separate them in different books.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%