Black Scroll Work On White Bc- How Do I Prevent "bleedi

Decorating By Myboysmom Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 1:44am by Myboysmom

Myboysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Myboysmom Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 5

I swear I saw this topic discussed somewhere but now I can't find the post icon_sad.gif

I have a 3 tier cake iced w/ white BC. I need to do black scroll work on pretty much the entire cake. What do you use for the scroll work, BC or RI, and does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the black from "bleeding" into the white. If I use chocolate BC tinted black will that help prevent that or am I just doomed??

Thanks so much for helping out a newbie!!

Tara

4 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 5

I do black on the white alot and never had it bleed. I have used the bc and sometimes Ri. I would think the only time it would bleed is if it got wet, maybe by sweating. I just haven't had it happen. I also put my cakes in the fridge after working on them to harden up. I am not sure I would do the chocolate, in my area it is really hot and it might melt. I also use all shortening bc. Maybe someone else will have some experience in this area.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 5

Shelley is right .... moisture is the culprit. Bleeding occurs when moisture moves from one place to another. I find if my base icing has crusted (i.e. "dry"), then the scrolls or other decors don't bleed.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 5

The other thing that is important is to make your black colored icing as far in advance as possible......like nowicon_smile.gif The longer it has to develop the color the better and less chance of bleeding. The other thing is the longer the blk is on white the more chance of bleeding so di the work as late as you can before delivery.

Myboysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Myboysmom Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:44am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much ladies!!! I have made my batch of black BC and will not apply it until tomorrow morning. Its a huge relief to know that the colors won't run just because its black on white. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%