I'm Worried - Should I Be???

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 12:55am by BeeBoos-8599_

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 16

I did a cake on 7/10 and haven't heard anything back from the bride or bride's mom. Do you usually hear back from them after the wedding? I realize the bride is on her honeymoon but the mom is the one who requested the cake from me so I would have thought that I would hear something from her. I was going to call them, but now I am worried b/c they haven't called me! So, who usually calls who?

Thanks!!
-the worry wart icon_smile.gif

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 16

I wouldn't worry about it.Some people just don't reply back after a event that you provided a service for but you could bet if it didn't go well and the Mom or Bride wasn't happy with the cake...You would have heard by now!! Chalk it up to a Good job!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:22am
post #3 of 16

I think you should think in these terms: I don't call my mechanic to tell him good job, cause the deals done...but I will call if he didn't do a good job! icon_wink.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:24am
post #4 of 16

I have tons of customers who never get back to me after their cakes....... until it's time to order the next one.

I'm not a needy person, so not getting compliments or comments doesn't phase me.

Not everyone jumps up and down and claps their hands and swoons upon seeing ther cake. To most folks, it's just cake.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 11:37am
post #5 of 16

I agree with the others, I hear back from very few of mine. I enjoy those who do comment but don't get it too often. I worry a little too but then they order again and I know they were pleased the first time icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady11215

Do you usually hear back from them after the wedding?

No.

Of course there are those once-in-a-blue-moon thank you notes and emails but the norm is "no".

No news is good news.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady11215

Do you usually hear back from them after the wedding?

No.

Of course there are those once-in-a-blue-moon thank you notes and emails but the norm is "no".

No news is good news.

Same here! I actually get nervous when they call! Now, people have only called to say thank you, but when I answer and they tell me who it is, my heart starts beating like crazy. lol!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 16

i check in with all my clients within 3 days, as a business rule, usually by email or phone. i let them know they i'm checking in to make sure that everything was as they expected, that the cake made the party (if they picked up), etc. i also am getting ready to start sending out custom thank you cards that will get sent out within 2 weeks of pickup/delivery, which also reminds them of my referral rewards program.

all of them comment that they appreciate the follow up and extra customer service.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 16

Really, the wedding cake is in the same category as whoever printed the napkin monograms to some people. Ya know, the "it's just cake" camp? They wouldn't think twice to call back. Unless something is wrong, or they overspent on their wedding and need to find a vendor to try to rip off....er, get a refund from. icon_biggrin.gif

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Not everyone jumps up and down and claps their hands and swoons upon seeing ther cake. To most folks, it's just cake.

Thank you! I really needed that reminder. I work hard on a cake and always wonder if it was liked as much as I think it should have been liked! I have been somewhat spoiled by my first few clients who always email me within a few days to say how much it was enjoyed by everyone. I need to "let go" of my cakes, lol! After all, they really ARE just cake...

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 16

well, i guess it all makes me feel a bit better - i didn't know what the standard was. this was the first wedding cake that i've done that i wasn't part of the wedding, so i wasn't around to hear the feedback. i don't think i'm being "needy", i am just worried because the bride's mother, the bride's mother's friend and the florist (who is a family friend) all said that she's difficult.

thanks all icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 16

But then again, I delivered that little black and white striped cake I uploaded earlier, and I got a raving review via email 30 minutes later....so go figure! Yay!

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:07am
post #13 of 16

you know something weird happened to me in this area.
a customer of mine who I would chat with A LOT, ordered from me a few times and got me SO MANY referrals.
well she is the one who reccomended me for the cupcake tower in my photos.
when I went to the wedding and did it, the MOB, MOG, sister OB, everyone there raved, took pictures, thanked me, payed me upfront, wowed, oohed, aahed.
But whats odd is the customer who referred them to me, well, I have not seen her online ONCE. since then. we use to chat several times a day. This wedding was like 10 days or so ago. So now im also wondering if they didnt like it in the end and she's too embarrassed to chat with me and has me blocked or something.
Anyway, if that IS the case, they said nothing to me, so I'm not worrying about it.
and LOLLLL my heart beats so fast too when they call LOL LOL LOL. or if they email I have to take a deep breath first.....but thank god I havent really gotten a real complaint yet. just one lay who said my cake balls were not all the exact same size.
I have though gotten sms and emails from people thanking me as late as a month after the order. Those are great perks that make my day, but I dont count on them. I just know if they didnt like it, they wil lsomehow let me know.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:11pm
post #14 of 16

........emails from people thanking me as late as a month after the order. ......

I actually have gotten TYs as much as a *year* later!

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:31pm
post #15 of 16

I have to agree with all the others, no news is good news.
Some times we never hear back. Other times we hear back right away. Some times we hear back a year later. I have even gotten a client coming in 1+ year later saying you made my friend's wedding cake and she just raved about you so I wanted you to make my cake. (I love those!)
If it were bad, then you would hear immediately. I take off Mondays, so listening to Tuesdays messages are the worst!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:55am
post #16 of 16

OP, I dont think you are being needy. I do as mixinvixin and check in with all of my customers to ensure everything went well. I also deliver a thank you note with my delivery that is used as a coupon on thier next order. I allways have people thank me for following up and tell me that they dont get cusomter service like that any more. I was in retail for 25 years and I value people taking that extra step. I think you should do whateven you feel is best for you and not for the group in general. Trust your gut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%