How To Do This Cake? !!!!!!!

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 9:28pm by kakeladi

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:08am
post #1 of 26

friend wants this wedding cake. last wedding cake i did i learned that the simple look isn't always easier. it also needs to serve 400 so it will be big. i am planning on icing it in bc instead of fondant and piping the details, but i don't want to freehand it and i don't want to mess up the bc with a stencil, what can i use to get those details on there prefectly?

she also said she didn't really like the flowers and i think she would like a ribbon around the bottom of each tier. i have heard of people's ribbons bleeding onto the cake. is there a certain kind i should use? and any ideas about the flowers? she might have just not like the colors.

any help would be MUCH appreciated!!!!!

thanks in advance

25 replies
yamber82 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:12am
post #2 of 26
MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 26

For the designs, see if you can find a press set with that particular pattern. You just lightly press them into the crusted BC, then trace over the lines with your writing tip. As for the ribbon, the main problem I've heard of (with real fabric ribbon) is the grease from the BC staining the fabric. You can do several things to combat that. Clear contact paper on the back side of the ribbon is one I've heard. And someone here rubs Crisco all over the whole thing so it's all the same greased color, if that makes sense.

yamber82 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 26

ok thanks. and i was wondering where to get those impression thingys and do i need to use different sizes of them for each tier?

MrsMabe Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 26

I haven't tried to find any before, but I'd start with a cake supply store. If you can find any that way, maybe Global Sugar Art or Wilton will have some. Good luck!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 26

You can also do the ribbon out of fondant - there shouldn't be a bleeding problem and you can make it exactly the color you want.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 26

Check out this impression mat by Kathy Scott

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=22122

Very similar to the one in the photo. Easy to use on crusted BC thumbs_up.gif

yamber82 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 26

awesome! thanks icon_smile.gif it doesn't mess up the bc with the rest of the mat touching it? i was trying to find one of those cut out things but couldn't find one like that.

and about the fondant ribbon, i thought of that but wasn't sure i could pull it off. is it possible to roll out a piece long enought to not have seems anywhere except the back? i want it to be as flawless as possible. is that what you used in your profile pic cuz yours looks really good btw icon_smile.gif and i like the border you put on top of it also, i might steal that idea icon_smile.gif

the wedding is in january so she stil lhas some time to decide. she did tell me this was her final choice, but i'm thinking she might change her mind a little when she sees more cakes.

MrsMabe Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 26

If your BC is crusted, then the mat shouldn't damage it any. I'd definitely do some practice runs until you get the hang of it.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 26

You could cut the mat apart and have individual imprssions then. thumbs_up.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 26

If you can't find the press you could print the cake picture, enlarge it up to size, take floral wire and mold it to the pattern. Make you a handle out of the wire and use that to imprint then you can pipe over it. This way your pattern is uniform and looks freehanded.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

and about the fondant ribbon, i thought of that but wasn't sure i could pull it off. is it possible to roll out a piece long enought to not have seems anywhere except the back? i want it to be as flawless as possible. is that what you used in your profile pic cuz yours looks really good btw icon_smile.gif and i like the border you put on top of it also, i might steal that idea icon_smile.gif

My ribbon was fondant. As far as getting it long enough, you certainly can. I've seen decorators roll out extremely long lengths of fondant with their pasta machines. What size tiers are you talking about? If it is going to serve 400, you are talking about a BIG cake. I think I would go with fabric ribbon for tiers that size. There are lots of threads about the ribbon. I haven't used it, so I won't offer any suggestions. icon_biggrin.gif

yamber82 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 26

txnonnie, i loooove that idea icon_smile.gif thank you soooo much!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

as for the crusting bc, i have use the wilton recipe. that's what i have always used and am afraid to try something new, lol, but i don't really think it crusts really well. it's actually pretty soft. i have also tried adding cornstarch to it but that really didn't do anything that i could tell. i ahve made a stencil out of cardstock and used it on a whipped cream iced cake before and that wasn't bad. the paper actually stuck to the side of the cake and i airbrushed over it and gently pulled it off, but since this is a wedding cake i don't want to take any chances.

and yes the tiers are going to be huge and i don't have a pasta roller. i always wondered how the pros did it icon_wink.gif i have a kitchenaid mixer and i think they make a pasta roller attatchment? i was just thinking about that yesterday, i will have to look into that. i like the look of the fabric ribbon though,

thanks for all you guy's help! i really appreciate it icon_smile.gif she is coming over next week for a tasting and i will show her some more pix. i was really hoping she would pic something a little more funky, lol

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #14 of 26

And make sure to use a very fine tip, or a parchment cone for the very fine lines in thse scrolls. If you use the same tip for all of it, the effect will be lost and will not look as pretty as that picture. icon_smile.gif

yamber82 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:45pm
post #15 of 26

you guys are so helpful icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:48pm
post #16 of 26

You could also make a impression mat out of acetate and hot glue. Print off the design (in reverse), lay the acetate over it and outline with hot glue. Just make sure your hot glue isn't so hot it melts the acetate.

txnonnie Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You could also make a out of acetate and hot glue. Print off the design (in reverse), lay the acetate over it and outline with hot glue. Just make sure your hot glue isn't so hot it melts the acetate.

Am I getting this in your glue will make the design and be ridged so you can imprint the cake? That would be great, but wouldn't your glue need to be smooth?

missymayflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missymayflower Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm
post #18 of 26

In a same way that hot glue was suggested for making an impression tool, you could use royal icing. Pipe the design in royal icing on acetate, and when it's dry, imprint design into crusted buttercream.

txnonnie Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:33pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymayflower

In a same way that hot glue was suggested for making an impression tool, you could use royal icing. Pipe the design in royal icing on acetate, and when it's dry, imprint design into crusted buttercream.

I can see this working well. You can get your lines really smooth with this.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:36pm
post #20 of 26

If you use royal icing on a mat this is flexible, bye bye icing....it will crack off the first time you flex the mat.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:05pm
post #21 of 26

Why wouldn't your glue be smooth?

txnonnie Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:45pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Why wouldn't your glue be smooth?

Not saying it wouldn't, but just last night in making a door mum not all my glue came out even and straight. I would think you would need to go slow and steady with plenty of glue in the gun.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:54pm
post #23 of 26

............mess up the bc with the rest of the mat touching it?...........

If your icing hasn't crusted or not enough put a piece of tulle between the impression & the icing to prevent sticking/messing up the icing.

yamber82 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #24 of 26

i don't think my bc is very "crusty" is there a better recipe for that? i have heard of a few others but havn't tried any of them yet

txnonnie Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 9:21pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

i don't think my bc is very "crusty" is there a better recipe for that? i have heard of a few others but havn't tried any of them yet

I have tried indydebi yet modified some. It does crust well and my family loves the taste.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 9:28pm
post #26 of 26

What makes an icing crust is less fat to more sugar. There are many wonderful recipes out there to try. I recommend both Sharon Z (Sugar Shack)'s and IndyDebi's.
Try them to see which one you prefer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%