I Had My First Scammer! Take A Look At My Response!!

Decorating By melhoneybee Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 2:12am by pasteles73

Lelu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelu Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:09am
post #31 of 39

Your response was awesome!! Last year my 17 year old was looking for a car on the internet and came across one of these great offers. They were going to ship the car from England, no less! He was all excited and trying to scrape up money until I started poking around on the internet and found about about these scammers. They use Craigs List alot. The grammer was the same...BAD. that is usually a tip off. Anyhow, loved your response!!! icon_lol.gif

melhoneybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melhoneybee Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:48am
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Ok I just have to be honest with you: from the title of your post "look at my response" I knew I would write this advice before even reading your response. This is probably my biggest pet peeve with decorators, so I just want to share with people I care about, other CC'ers:

Please please, please, please, please X500 do not respond to scammers. Please. You might get 30 seconds of instant gratification out of it, but you are marking yourself as a "live" email address. Scammers sell live email addresses to each other to try new scams. You just open yourself up to more scams. If you don't respond and just delete, you are not a "live" email address.

Folks: great response by the OP, truly, but please JUST DON'T respond to these things. Not at all - just delete.

Thanks! Off my soap box now. It's slippery up there thumbs_up.gif

Yea, that is a good point, but for me, it's the same as someone else mentioned....my email address is all over my website (and the rest of the net for that matter) so of course they know it's a live email! I don;t even advertise on craigslist (where most of the scammers go) so he must have found me right off my own website! Yes, I could have just deleted it, and that was my first thought, but then, why pass up such a fun opportunity! LOL
Especially if it's so funny it makes Indydebi pee her pants! icon_biggrin.gif My work here is done! HA!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #33 of 39

I agree. I wouldn't respond to scammers. You will just fill your inbox with more scammers.

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:01pm
post #34 of 39

Sooo funny!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I agree. I wouldn't respond to scammers. You will just fill your inbox with more scammers.

Yeaup... and anothe reason not to respond: you are adding to this awful economy in these countries and perpetrating the exploitation of kids doing these scams.

Remember: you may not choose tp participate in hurting others, but that doesn't mean you have to help it along either. [/b]

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:16am
post #36 of 39

Ok, my head hurts from trying to read his email. It's possible I'm missing something but what, exactly, do scammers get out of this? They are offering to pay you. Not the other way around. Right? (*Goes to get Advil for my head*)

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:30am
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

Ok, my head hurts from trying to read his email. It's possible I'm missing something but what, exactly, do scammers get out of this? They are offering to pay you. Not the other way around. Right? (*Goes to get Advil for my head*)

Don't worry, TGIF! You are kind of right, but not 100% LOL..

The way it works is, these people make a promise to pay with a complicated delivery and want to pay you extra for this delivery, or extra for being last minute, or extra for this or that, it goes on and on.

You receive this money via check usually. The bank looks it over, it looks valid and you deposit it. It takes a certain amount of days to clear. In the meantime, you hand this delivery person or wire back the "extra" money to this person that the cake purchaser tells you. The check bounces. Now you are out all this money you gave to this delivery person or agent, depending on the scam.

People who don't bite the hook but reply are put in a pool of live email addresses. Scammers sell these addresses from one to another through different countries, different scams, etc...

Make sense?

KaraBeara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraBeara Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:36am
post #38 of 39

My boyfriend and I are cracking up. Good reply. icon_smile.gif

pasteles73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasteles73 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Quote:

$100 Customer Offered bonus (thank you! icon_biggrin.gif )
+
$20,000.00 Scammers Fee (for wasting my time)

I love that you thanked him for the "bonus" and your $20K for wasting your time!!! Truly this is a cut and paste letter so fellow ccers can response to these scammers.

Good for you!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%