Wilton's Roll-N-Cut Mat... Opinions Please

Decorating By Mensch Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm by AngelFood4

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 24

I'm considering purchasing one of these.

pros and cons, please!

Thanks in advance.

23 replies
Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 24

I hate it and never use it. It slides/it sticks/you name it. I'd rather put shortening or cornstarch directly on my countertop. My personal opinion only.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 24

I just bought a new one (my second). The biggest con is that it is so thin. the reason I had to buy a new one is that I cut thru the old one cutting some gumpaste pieces that I had rolled out on the mat.

But it is a good mat and the markings on it are good reference points to use for cakes.

Mensch Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 24

I'm not going to cut on it. What I want to do is roll my fondant out and then flip the whole thing over and peel away the mat. I use a piece of vinyl for this right now but it is just really worn out. I can't get vinyl like this in my area any longer.

That's why I'm considering the mat.

Have you tried wiping the countertop with a damp cloth before placing the mat on it, Dessert Diva, to avoid sliding? That's what I do with my vinyl.

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 24

I got mine and found it useless...It won't stay put...It won't come unfurled so it can lay flat on the counter..So if I had to do it again, I would have saved my money

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 24

To keep it from sliding place a damp paper towel underneath it or wipe the counter with a damp cloth and place it on top.

To protect it from cutting through, buy a sheet of clear plastic table cloth from a fabric store. The thicker the better. Place the vinyl over the wilton mat.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 24

I havent had any problems with it slipping. When my first one was new it tryed to stay curled up. I put it in hot water and then let it sit out and that took care of it.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 24

Don't buy it! As everyone else says, it slips and slides and curls up. It is very annoying. Your best bet is to buy a big silpat. Or you could go over to JoAnn's and get a big piece of vinyl.

Mensch Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 24

The vinyl I currently use is no longer available in my area. We don't have JoAnn's.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 24

Does Walmart in your area still carry fabric? Check there

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:58pm
post #11 of 24

I have one, I have the same problem with it sliding around, but I just wet the counter down and it sticks no problem, I just can't get the corners to stick down. I've been looking for a piece of vinyl, I just have not had time to go to Joann's. I don't cut on it, it's so thin I know I'd cut right through.

Once I get a piece of vinyl, not sure if I will keep using it. It's really not big enough to keep me from making more of a mess than I would have if I would have just put what I was working on right on my counter.

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 24

Mine curls up, too, but what I like about it are the diameter markings, so that when I'm rolling out fondant for a cake, I can roll to the right diameter very easily and then just invert that fondant onto the cake and peel away the mat as you're wanting to do. I like my mat.

icon_smile.gif patti

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:05pm
post #13 of 24

i bought one like a year ago. I only used it once and it was a disater. your better off with vinyl.

luv2c_cultures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:10pm
post #14 of 24

Like cylstrial I use a large silpat to roll my fondant. It works really great!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 24

I hated it and eventually threw it away. It rolled, and if you are going to all the trouble to lay vinyl over it, you just might as well invest in the vinyl and forgo the Wilton mat. I have the Ateco mat now and I love it! --Much wiser investment...

https://www.atecousa.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ateco&Product_Code=697&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

Mensch Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:14pm
post #16 of 24

We don't have Walmart here. I can't get the kind of vinyl I want in my area.

Thanks everyone for all the opinions. Keep 'em coming!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:18pm
post #17 of 24

I have one and just get frustrated with it. I can't keep the corners down either. I will try the hot water trick though. I wet my counter first and then put the mat down. It helps to a degree....when rolling out thick fondant and having to push down hard, it still ends of slipping. I also cut thru mine with a pizza cutter. I didn't think it would harm it, but it did....now that area rolls up and it's now useless for large projects.
For small projects, I use the thick vinyl placemats from the dollar store. Works great.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:27pm
post #18 of 24

I roll my print side out...so when you unroll it...the rolled up corners face down. A damp paper towel prevents sliding. I don't have any issues with mine. It is better than the Wilton cake dividing wheel as it has both circular and square markings. i find there is not much that can handle heavy pressure with sharp objects...even hard plastic will scratch and leave marks.

I also have the new pastry mat form Wilton which is silicone....there are lots of options out there

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #19 of 24

I agree with SUELA I roll mine inside out and dont have as many problems with it. I also wet down the counter but then I dry off under the corners and then tape them down with packaging tape, but I dont use mine for really big jobs just the little ones and the fondant never gets to the tape.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:02pm
post #20 of 24

I would not ever buy one. I find they are more trouble than they are worth. The markings are very useful but it is thin and hard to get it to lay flat.

Mensch Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm
post #21 of 24

I've been sitting here looking at Silpats online, and Demarle makes something called a Roul'Pat which has a non-slip back. Pricey, though. Any opinions on Roul'Pats?

QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #22 of 24

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH WHAT EVERYONE SEEMS TO SAY. SAVE YOUR MONEY ON THAT MAT. thumbsdown.gif

QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #23 of 24

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH WHAT EVERYONE SEEMS TO SAY. SAVE YOUR MONEY ON THAT MAT. thumbsdown.gif

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #24 of 24

I use a Matfer Exopat Non-stick mat (24x16) to rollout my fondant and love it! It grips the table, won't move, easy to clean plus I roll it up for storage and the edges don't curl. I bought mine at a restaurant supply store a couple of years ago and ironically, never used it to bake with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%