Bite Sized Desserts Outside.

Lounge By mkolmar Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 3:46am by matthewkyrankelly

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #1 of 17

It will be about 82 degrees and up next week. I was told today at work about an event for Tuesday I need to bake for. The people are wanting all bite sized desserts but left everything open for what to have, so the chef said it's up to me.
The event is to be outside so my normal options are not available. I was going to make creme puffed pastry swans but the filling won't hold, chocolate will melt in seconds so my traditional chocolate making is out. I was thinking about some kind of bar, cookies and bite sized pies. I want to do something possibly a little nicer but can't think of anything else that can hold at those temps.
What would you recommend making that can be out in these temps?

16 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 17

Check the online vendors to see who has the French Bavarian Creme/Cream filling in the sleeves. I used this all the time, before I went scratch, and still do, in a tight time-frame. It's heat-safe, and tastes way better than the regular Bavarian Creme in the sleeve. Then you can still make your swans without fear of spoilage.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 17

How about these?

CARAMEL NUT TARTS
Shells:
1/2 cup butter
3 ounces softened cream cheese
1 cup flour

Mix together and chill for an hour or so. Shape into 24 one inch balls. Press into mini muffin tins and press bottom and up sides to form shells.

Filling:
1 egg
1 TBS melted butter
2/3 cup broken pecan pieces
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Beat egg, sugar, butter, vanilla and salt until combined. Stir in nuts. Fill shells with mixture. (do not overfill) Bake in 325 deg F oven for 25 minutes.

These can sit out with no problem AND they freeze beautifully and taste awesome. Good luck in your search. icon_smile.gif

mom2abc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2abc Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 17

Mini-cupcake size boston creme pies. I made some last night because I had batter left over and people are loving them this morning.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 17

Brownies and cookies would be good. What about a lemon shortbread or a lemon bar. Mini cheesecake bites.

You can always see about having them get some ice packs to put under trays to help keep things on the cooler side.

I did have to laugh when I read this last night, it was about the time of the news and they were reporting our high for the day reached 104 and that we are to expect 104 the next two days. There were only 2 cities in the area that didn't hit 100 yesterday. Maybe I need to come visit where it is still in the 80's.

mkolmar Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks everyone. I'll be using all of your ideas!
I talked to the chef and he's going to put some trays with ice under it out. They said they will put items out a little at a time to help with holding the items.

This has been a really odd summer. We went from 90's last week to this week 68 average and next week it will be in the 80's. It's still cooler than Texas though so if you want to come visit TexasSugar come on up.

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 17

I'm in a similar position. I'm starting a new cake business and so far I've only sold cakes and cupcakes. I just got a cake order and the bride wants brownie bites and lemon bars (for her dessert bar) at the wedding as well. She's having around 350 guests but doesn't need to feed all 350 with every dessert. I have NO IDEA what to charge for brownie bites or lemon bars that are mini-sized. Any thoughts? Additionally, umm.... anyone know a fail-proof and delicious lemon bar recipe? icon_smile.gif

SaltCakeCity Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 17

I'm in a similar position. I'm starting a new cake business and so far I've only sold cakes and cupcakes. I just got a cake order and the bride wants brownie bites and lemon bars (for her dessert bar) at the wedding as well. She's having around 350 guests but doesn't need to feed all 350 with every dessert. I have NO IDEA what to charge for brownie bites or lemon bars that are mini-sized. Any thoughts? Additionally, umm.... anyone know a fail-proof and delicious lemon bar recipe? icon_smile.gif

SaltCakeCity Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 17

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 17

Yeah--let's keep these ideas coming!1 I'm always doing dessert "bars" for friends and family, and need some new ideas. The caramel nut tarts (mini pecan pies) are get as they can be made ahead, and don't need refrigeration!!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 17

crisseyann,

How long can you freeze "carmel nut tarts"? These sound great, I would like to try making some in the next couple of weeks.

mkolmar Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #12 of 17

bbydlljd - depends on what you are looking for in a lemon bar. I have 4 lemon bar recipes I use. One made with a cake mix and cream cheese, another is a creamy lemon bar all scratch made, another is a chewy lemon bar all scratch made plus I also have a low fat lemon bar made from scratch.
Where I'm located you would charge at least $1 per item, usually more though. Check around to see what others would charge. Figure out your cost range and how much you want to be paid and yada yada yada to get the price per item to charge.

crisseyann - I made a mistake and baked the shells first and then filled. They puffed up and I could hardly fill the tarts. OOPS, will try again. That's what I get for forgetting to write down the directions.

I've been making a lot of toffee bars lately covered in ganache. Those seem to always go over well.

mkolmar Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:18am
post #13 of 17

bbydlljd - depends on what you are looking for in a lemon bar. I have 4 lemon bar recipes I use. One made with a cake mix and cream cheese, another is a creamy lemon bar all scratch made, another is a chewy lemon bar all scratch made plus I also have a low fat lemon bar made from scratch.
Where I'm located you would charge at least $1 per item, usually more though. Check around to see what others would charge. Figure out your cost range and how much you want to be paid and yada yada yada to get the price per item to charge.

crisseyann - I made a mistake and baked the shells first and then filled. They puffed up and I could hardly fill the tarts. OOPS, will try again. That's what I get for forgetting to write down the directions.

I've been making a lot of toffee bars lately covered in ganache. Those seem to always go over well.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:23am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Ohhhh- by any chance, are you willing to share any one or all of those lemon bar recipes please?!?!? I would love to try them-- especially the first 2!!! I LOVE LEMON BARS!!!!!! (I understand if you do not wish to share.) Now you have me drooling for lemon bars and a big cold glass of milk!!

mkolmar Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:10am
post #15 of 17

I'll pm it to you.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:28am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I'll pm it to you.

Really? Thank you so much! If it is easier, I can PM you my email address. Thank you again!!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:46am
post #17 of 17

I was just thinking about this kind of entertaining. I don't know about all of you, but it doesn't matter how delicate and/or special a dessert I make. If there are home made chocolate chip cookies on the table, they are gone! I usually make them as an afterthought.

So, what if you were to include them, but dress them up. Is there a food-safe envelope or sleeve for something like this? Like a paper pocket that could hold them and keep a person's fingers clean? Maybe a paper cone with three or four small ones? In these time of nostalgic cupcake wedding cakes, it could be a hit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%