Anyone Use Cake Rings?

Decorating By LisaMaeCakes Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm by Bijoudelanuit

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #1 of 8

I was watching Amazing Wedding Cakes and saw the girls at Cake Alchemy using cake rings. Their sides were perfectly straight up. Anyone out there use these? What are tips for using? Any info would be helpful. I would like to try these as I am on a mission to have cakes that look like cake dummies, LOL

TIA

Lisa

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 8

I used them as supports instead of dowels. It's great for that but people who serve the cake hate them. It's hard (I'm told) to get the cake out of the center of the ring.
I never baked in them.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:39am
post #3 of 8

Lisamae, I was wondering the same thing when I saw that episode. She baked cake on a sheet pan and cut out cake rings. Then filled the whole thing in the ring. I looked great and easy. I might have to find a ring and experiment.

Oh, I just had a lightbulb moment! I bet a large round cookie cutter would work well to make samples for a tasting.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #4 of 8

I used to do this to make mini cakes- so easy to do! Line the ring with acetate, use a cookie or biscuit cutter to cut a cake round that is slightly smaller. Pipe the icing in between the cake and the acetate, go back and fill in with filling and other cake layers. Ice the top smooth with the edge of the ring. Put the tray of mini cakes into the freezer for half an hour to firm the icing and the acetate will peel right off! All you need is a piped bottom border and the cake is ready!

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

I used to do this to make mini cakes- so easy to do! Line the ring with acetate, use a cookie or biscuit cutter to cut a cake round that is slightly smaller. Pipe the icing in between the cake and the acetate, go back and fill in with filling and other cake layers. Ice the top smooth with the edge of the ring. Put the tray of mini cakes into the freezer for half an hour to firm the icing and the acetate will peel right off! All you need is a piped bottom border and the cake is ready!

I am little confused...you said you need just a bottom border to finish ...;you mean the cake doesn;'t need to be iced on the sides? this is considered as a crumb coat? or you still need to ice the cake?

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

cut a cake round that is slightly smaller. Pipe the icing in between the cake and the acetate

I am little confused...you said you need just a bottom border to finish ...;you mean the cake doesn;'t need to be iced on the sides? this is considered as a crumb coat? or you still need to ice the cake?

I think this is the trick. You pipe icing between the cake and the acetate, thus icing the sides.

This sounds great, but I've never used acetate. Do you tape it so that it stays together inside the ring?

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 8

I am a bit confused too! I have built them in the ring and then had to go back and finish the sides. I would love to learn how to do them all at once. I did not tape the acetate. They just slightly overlaped at the ends.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 8

You pipe the icing between the acetate and the cake rounds... so when you unmold it and peel off the acetate the sides are already perfectly frosted! I've never used tape... the ends of it just overlap and it stands up against the side of the ring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%