How Long Can You Store Mmf?

Decorating By BC0101 Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 1:22am by Jeannem

BC0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BC0101 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 10

How long can you store MMF in the fridge? My son's birthday is in 2 weeks and I wanted to get some done this weekend because I have to make some figures for my friend and get them to her on Monday. I was hoping to only make one batch and store the leftover for my son's cake.

9 replies
kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 10

I'll give you a bump.I just started using it as well but so far 1 week is all I have stored it for.I would like to know also.I do love that you can keep this stuff in the fridge!I'm sure someone will have the answer.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:51am
post #3 of 10

I make mine fresh the night before I do a cake but here is a bump for you, interesting question

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 10

What's a "bump"? I see this term quite often on here.... icon_smile.gif

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 10

"bump"ing a post puts a reply in so that the thread is renewed and more folks can see it and respond, instead of letting it remain dormant and unanswered. At least that's the way I understand a "bump". Anyone else who knows a better definition, please respond....icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 10

back to OP's question -

if properly wrapped (plastic warp, all air pushed out, and then into airtight container)
should store just as long as commercially made.

I've successfully stored it as long as 6 months (refuse to throw out scraps -- might need them for small decorations -- someday)

2 weeks is just a brief siesta.

you will need to knead it again before using (may even want to soften just a tiny bit with a very short go round in the microwave)

so make a nice big batch now and save self the trouble later on.

(edited for spelling -- it is TOO early -- ok it's never the right time -- for me to spell!)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 10

MMF will keep on the counter for about a week. If you're keeping it longer than that, I would suggest freezing it. Wrap it in plastic wrap, put it in a ziplock bag, and then wrap the ziplock bag in foil (to keep freezer odors out). I've kept it in the fridge for a long time too, but it doesn't dry out as much when it's frozen. Let it come to room temperature before you use it.

You can tell when it's been sitting out too long because it will get a slightly sour smell.

katta87_2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katta87_2005 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 10

Hmmm... I just used some for a cake last night that had been sitting on my counter for about 4 weeks. It was wrapped in plastic wrap then a plastic bag and in an airtight container. I thought it was good for about 6 weeks like that? It was for my aunts bday and none of us are sick today and it didn't taste bad so i'm assuming it was ok but thanks for the heads up, I think i'll freeze it from now on.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 10

I'm no chemist, but I don't see how there's anything in it that could go bad....

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:22am
post #10 of 10

I'm wondering too. One doesn't refrigerate marshmallows, water, or powdered sugar, so why does it need to be refrigerated??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%