How To Get Crimson Red

Decorating By kokopuff Updated 29 Oct 2013 , 8:16pm by Jammin Cakes

kokopuff Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 17

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I need to get a deep dark crimson red.My red-red from wilton isn't dark enough even when letting it sit and darken for a while.Do I need to add another color to the mix,I have used nearly my whole bottle of red so if this was all I had to do I would surely have the right color by now.any suggestions would be appreciated thanks icon_smile.gif

16 replies
SJ169 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 17

Try Americolor Super Red is works way way better then the wilton red and you dont need as much. That is what i use and i love it!
good luck!

sarkee Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 17

experienced cakers may think I have lost my mind, but recently I had this situation with hot pink. i needed a dark hot pink. got what i was looking for by adding a tiny bit of black. that muted the color enough that when after i finished the cake it was the exact color i was hoping for. just a thought.

clopin0 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 17

Add a small amount of black to your red.

sweetcakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 17

violet is also supposed to deepen shades, haven't tried it just read it.

hammer1 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 17

use powdered food coloring...this seems to work the best for us. and let the red sit....watch adding too much black....we made maroon roses once and the cake sat a couple days, i was sweating out whether the roses would be burgandy or black by the wedding day.

jymorgan Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 17

I had to do a football jersey and the colors were crimson and black. I used chocolate buttercream then added Wilton no taste red until I got the color I was looking for.

Kind of the same concept as adding red coloring to a chocolate cake to make it Red Velvet. It worked!

kokopuff Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:01am
post #8 of 17

Thanks everyone!I am going to try the method of adding a little bit of black and I may also try the chocolate icing too and see what works best.

anricat Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:32am
post #9 of 17

I just use a ton of Wilton Super Red. It was sort of coral colored when I was done, but I let it sit for a couple of days and it turned bright red.

Uniqueask Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 17

Too much of Wilton color becomes bitter though

anricat Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 17

Ak! I meant Americolor Super Red.

kokopuff Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:05am
post #12 of 17

well.I couldn't get either way to work right for me so I just added fondant accent's that I airbrushesd red.

nadine_n Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:42am
post #13 of 17

That's funny... I was struggling with the same thing this evening. I'm making red, white & blue royal icing to use on 4th of July star shaped cookies. I'm using Wilton's No-taste red (the only coloring I have) and currently have a pinkish-orangish color. I left it sit until tomorrow, hoping it will become redder. If it isn't red by then, I'll add sme brown. Thanks for the tip!

nadine_n Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #14 of 17

That's funny... I was struggling with the same thing this evening. I'm making red, white & blue royal icing to use on 4th of July star shaped cookies. I'm using Wilton's No-taste red (the only coloring I have) and currently have a pinkish-orangish color. I left it sit until tomorrow, hoping it will become redder. If it isn't red by then, I'll add sme brown. Thanks for the tip!

nadine_n Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:44am
post #15 of 17

nadine_n Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:46am
post #16 of 17

Jammin Cakes Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 8:16pm
post #17 of 17

You have to get the red with NO TASTE ..It says it right on the bottle..Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%