Need Some Help.. My First 2 Tiered Cake

Decorating By mishlove Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm by mishlove

mishlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mishlove Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 10

I want to make a 2 tiered cake for my son's birthday. I have a few questions I hope someone could help me out with. The bottom cake I wanted to make a Vanilla cake with a filling. How big of a cake pan for the bottom part, and how high do I make it? Do I need to put dowels in the bottom part to hold the top? The top part of the cake I wanted to do Chocolate with a fudge filling. What size of a pan do I use and how high?
I am going to use a boxed mix, how many do you think I will need of each flavor

Thank you so much

Michele

9 replies
snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 10

the size pans depends on how many people you will need to feed. I would reccomend at least 2 in difference between the two layers though. It can be as high as you want, most I would think are 3-4 inches. With only 2 tiers, you might be ok without dowel rods, but I would use them just to be on the safe side.... Hope this helps.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 10

It depends on how many servings you need, usually the boxed mix by itself will give you enough for a 8, 9 or 10 in round torted, of course, the smaller the pan the higher the cake. If it's more than a tier you need the dowels no matter what to support the weight of the top tier. HTH. Happy baking and good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 10

I would use dowels as well but you can get away with using just your standard bamboo skewers which is what I do for two tiers that are just for family. If it's for a friend, I will use the dowels since they are reimbursing me anyway for the cost.

Most two tier cakes are at least 6" and 8" rounds which will serve up to 39 if each tier is 4" tall. I used 2 batches of kakeladi's WASC which is a doctored mix recipe when making this 7" and 9" tiered cake (and it came out pretty tall)...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1323390

I think two boxes of mix (that is un-doctored) should be just enough for a 6" & 8" tiered cake but you can always mix up three just to be safe and use the leftover batter for cupcakes.

HTH.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 10

I was just at Wilton.com today to look at a cake serving guide and found that they have excellent guides for making tiered cakes. You might want to check it out. You can also find tutorials on utube. Good luck!

mishlove Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 10

Wow, I love your cake, now how did you get the 2 cakes so tall?

What if I do a 10' inch bottom round and 8 inch top round. How do I get them tall like yours? Do pan's came high on the sides? I know it's a dumb question ,but I am confused?

Thank you

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 10

For that you may need 3 boxes and have to bake at least 2 cakes instead of torting them, that way you get taller cakes, my guess is that cake is 3 layer of cake and 2 of filling. d

lostincake Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the compliment!

Each tier has 2 layers of cake and one layer of filling. I have 3 inch tall pans that I filled to 2/3 full with batter and after the layers are leveled, they ended up being just over 2" tall each. With filling and fondant, each tier ended up 4.5" tall.

Some people will bake up the entire thing in one pan and collar the pan (check out the how-to article under the "articles" tab above), then torte the layers but I find that dries out the cake sometimes so I prefer to bake shorter layers.

HTH.

lostincake Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

For that you may need 3 boxes and have to bake at least 2 cakes instead of torting them, that way you get taller cakes

I agree...at least 3 boxes if you want to make 8" and 10" tiers.

Bake two layers of each size round at a time. I have two pans in each size so I just bake two layers of each size and therefore have 4 pans going. If you only have one of each size pan, you can bake one layer of each size at a time to be more efficient (i.e. one layer 8" and one layer 10" for the first batch, then when they're done another 8" and another 10" layer).

mishlove Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%