Outrageously Easy Cake W/ A Huge Wow Factor...gotta Love It!

Decorating By mixinvixen Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 7:24pm by Renaejrk

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 20

HAVE TO SHARE MY EXCITEMENT: ever since i've been a member here, i've seen those awesome "plate of spaghetti" cakes, and wanted to make one! my chance has never came around to explore the design until this weekend when i realized my brother would be visiting me the day after his birthday...and his favorite food is ITALIAN!! i was absolutely pooped from a whole weekend of elaborate cakes and sugar, so i needed something quick and easy, but yet still with some oomph!!! i thought about the spaghetti bowl cake, bought the supplies, and away i went. i was floored to see how easy it was, for real!! god bless the person who originally thought of this idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO JOKE...THIS CAKE, FROM MIXING AND BAKING TO THE VERY END WHEN READY FOR PHOTOS TOOK A MAXIMUM TIME OF ABOUT 6 HOURS!!!!! IT WAS INSANELY EASY, AND MADE ME SMILE EVERY TIME I LOOKED AT IT...AND BOY, DID IT GET THE ATTENTION!!! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WHIPPING OUT THIS DESIGN NEXT TIME YOU HAVE A CAKE DUE FOR A FOODIE!!!!!!!!!!!
LL

19 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 20

You did a great job making it. I saw something similar in a cupcake book.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 20

Very cute! Thanks for sharing the timeframe that it took to make as well!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 20

Cute. Very interesting. Doesn't look easy.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 20

That looks amazing! I love it.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnonnie

Cute. Very interesting. Doesn't look easy.

oh but it is.

oven proof bowel - greased/floured just like a cake pan

cake mix made per pkg.

bake in bowl and leave in bowl.

make icing.

load up bag.

squiggle away -- think like doing sotas or cornelia lace in the middle of an earthquake or a boat being tossed on the sea -- keep going until cake is fully covered. this ain't art!

for meatballs -- that could be cake balls made from scraps from other cakes OR it could be tootsie rolls softened in micro and the turned into balls (chocolate!) OR balls of choco pan chocolate OR Lindt Truffle balls (make mine dark chocolate) or....(get the idea any round chocolate thing)

sauce--raspberry or strawberry jam or jelly or cake filling. -- just plop it on.

done.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 20

Wow didn't realize it was that simple. Still does not look easy/simple. Thanks for the info.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnonnie

Still does not look easy/simple.

shhhhhhhhhh.....

that's supposed to be our little secret! icon_rolleyes.gif

we know, but "they" don't have to!

"OH, I worked for hours and hours putting this together!!!!!"

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:59am
post #9 of 20

Oh crud but you cant use a clear bowl can you? That is such a fantastic idea! I cant think of a few people who would love a cake like that. (mom) icon_smile.gif

EDIT: Hey what did you use for the cheese and breadsticks?

mixinvixen Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:10am
post #10 of 20

i found the bowl and serving tray at hobby lobby in their 80% off housewares section, but tj maxx and marshalls both have awesome dinnerware pieces for hardly nothing!

the breadsticks, cocktail napkin, rolled dinner napkin, fork and spoon are all gumpaste/tylose/fondant mix. (remnants of 2 other cakes this weekend!) i airbrushed the breadsticks, and painted the silverware with silver highlighter dust after molding them against a real fork and spoon.

the sauce is thinned cream cheese with chunks of dark chocolate grated into it to resemble a meat sauce.

the parmesan on top is finely grated white chocolate.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:29am
post #11 of 20

You know what I love about your post more than anything though...? It's that you are talking about what an awesomely easy cake this is: only 6 hours. "ONLY" six hours?! That is priceless! Every time I whip out a "quickie" cake, it takes about 6 hours, and I figure there is no one on earth who could possibly understand that 6 hours is a fast job.

I *heart* you!

Oh ps your cake is adorable. thumbs_up.gif

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:28am
post #12 of 20

That is awesome. I am waiting for an opportunity to try this one! Great job.

mixinvixen Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #13 of 20

too funny!! watching me making a cake is like seeing a stampede of turtles...i'm extremely slow!!!!!!!!! i'm self taught and only been doing this for a little over 3 years, so i'm slower than moses when i work, but i only make the same mistake 10 times or so before i learn...i'm improving, by gosh!!!!!!!! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

most of my cakes are a minimum of 12 hours, NOT INCLUDING BAKING, and some are well over 80, so 6 was like a day at the beach!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm
post #14 of 20

Your total presentaion really takes it over the top! And that your sauce isn't just strawberry or rasberry. It has the dark rich red of a thick and hearty sauce and is very convicing! Very well done! I just love it so much. Into my favs and I can't wait for the opertunity to make it someday! And I totally know what you mean about 6 hours being fast...LOL I take way way too much time.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:24pm
post #15 of 20

I stopped reading at "six hours" - yay yay yay.... and after looking over the main part of the cake, I totally missed that the silverware, napkin, etc. were also created by you. Wow - hats off to you! Thanks for a wonderful idea. I also "heart" you.

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm
post #16 of 20

Did you use ganache for the spaghetti sauce? (it doesn't look like preserves)

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #17 of 20

I just love your presentation, makes me want to try this. I have seen them before but never knew how it was done and how easy it could be. Great idea for a quickie cake.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:04pm
post #18 of 20

I just love the cake and your post-sounds like we work at the same pace lol!!!!!!!!Great job on all the details. I've always wanted to make a 'food' cake but I've always feared that it wouldn't have that realistic look. This is great!!!

shari22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shari22 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #19 of 20

Awesome!!!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:24pm
post #20 of 20

this is so awesome! My husband loves spaghetti and his bday is next month! He understands my cake "addiction", but I'm sure he would appreciate me spending time with HIM instead of 40 hours on a cake for him! I could do this and have the best of both worlds!!! LOL THANKS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%