Need Help Quick!

Decorating By sister340 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm by sister340

sister340 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 6

Making a 3 tiered, square wedding cake. Two layers each tier. One of the bottom layers cracked, bad. I think I moved it when it was too hot. Since this will be the cake base, I don't think I should try to salvage it, should I? then I think, well, it will be covered in fondant.
What do you think? I have plenty of time.

5 replies
all4cake Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 6

If you can repair it, do so. The other tiers won't be resting on it anyway...they'll be resting on the supports, right?

DianeLM Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 6

If it's just one of the two layers, then push it back together as tightly as you can and top it with the other layer. Should be fine.

It's not unlike making a huge tier that's comprised of several smaller cakes pushed together.

Good luck!

kakeladi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, what they ^^^^ said. It certainly can be saved if it will go back together (not all crumbs but big chunks that can be pushed together w/icing as glue).

kansaswolf Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 6

My 4 tier square cake had a huge tear in the bottom tier, but it came out just fine! Just make sure the supports are stable!

sister340 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 6

Ok, so I'll try that. It is still cooling and I can't really Squish it together yet. Hope its okay to do when it is cooled and I put it on the cake board and fill.

So you think the cracked one should be the bottom layer. And right, the supports will hold it. I need to go back and read how many dowels for a 13" square holding up a 9" then 5.

So much to learn.

Quote by @%username% on %date%