Best Icing To Put On A Strawberry Cake, Help Please~

Decorating By countrycakes Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm by DeniseNH

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 8

thumbs_up.gif Just got a quick call for a 'fresh strawberry cake'...as in vanilla layers with fresh strawberries in between....what kind of filling/frosting do I need to put on this? I have not done but one strawberry cake, and they wanted buttercream. Just wondering......Thank you!

7 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 8

Since you said they wanted buttercream then use vanilla buttercream.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 8

No, I said that only other strawberry cake I had done, the customer wanted buttercream....I was wondering if there was another icing that would be just as good.

The customer just called me and said she wanted a strawberry cake...did not care what kind of icing. Just as long as it had fresh strawberries in it....what a description. icon_lol.gif She is not picky....

KatanaRogue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatanaRogue Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 8

I think a subtle almond flavored buttercream might be nice with the fresh strawberries. Or you can just use something like a fresh strawberry puree. Just make sure to use buttercream to fence it in.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:55am
post #5 of 8

I always use cream cheese icing with my strawberry cakes

cakediva01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva01 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 8

You can always put strawberry extract in your buttercream for that extra strawberry flavor or strawberry cream cheese. There is a great frosting recipe in the Cake Mix Doctor books for that.

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 8

whipped cream is a very light frosting to use with strawberries in the middle. i use a bit of whipped cream between layers along with strawberries too. like a strawberry shortcake. yumm!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 8

Italian meringue buttercream is your answer. It's the only thing that tastes like sweetened whipped cream but is more stable than cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%