Refrigerating Cake Conflicting Information ????

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm by hellie0h

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:48pm
post #31 of 46

oh well that makes sense about the climate control........thanks for sharing info

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #32 of 46

I just made two cakes last night. I wrapped them in saran wrap and stuck them in the freezer. Should I have iced them first to avoid them being dried out? I'll be thawing them on Friday.

sallene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:38pm
post #33 of 46

I just made two cakes last night. I wrapped them in saran wrap and stuck them in the freezer. Should I have iced them first to avoid them being dried out? I'll be thawing them on Friday.

sallene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #34 of 46

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:05pm
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwawa

I lean towards the room temp, exceptions for the perishable filled cakes of course. One of my most popular fillings is cannolli cream (definitely dairy-based!) so that always keeps in the fridge.

indydeb, I laughed when I saw your mention of peanut butter in the fridge - I have battled that issue with every family member, roommate, and co-habitator I have ever had - PB does not need to be refrigerated!
PS. I am making your BC for this first time this week after reading about it for ages, so thanking you in advance!

GayeG - knew you had to be from the south when I saw you mention your Mamaw. I'm in the north, but my family is from the south - I had a Memaw icon_smile.gif

Awwwww - just "hearing" it again brings a smile to my face!! She is long gone but of course - deep in my soul!
I lived in Michigan for about 3 yrs, several years ago -where I had a large daycare and was SHOCKED icon_surprised.gif that the children there called their Grandparents by their first names!! (as well as other adults) And thats a HUGE no-no in the South (as well as saying Mam & Sir) - They would say: Im going to Grandma Sally's today - O MY - That was such a cultural shock for me!! I NEVER let them call me JUST Gaye thou - uh uh - They called me Ms Gaye (thats what we do in the South) And by the time I left - they called ALL adults Ms Sally or Mr Jim!!
Please dont take offence anyone who's children speaks this way!! Its just so not me and how we/everyone is raised in the South - so dif from the North or even West ... so was such a shock that there were OTHER ways!!! hahaha
Sorry - I digress icon_wink.gif I miss my Mamaw!!!

GayeG Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #36 of 46
Quote:

I lean towards the room temp, exceptions for the perishable filled cakes of course. One of my most popular fillings is cannolli cream (definitely dairy-based!) so that always keeps in the fridge.

indydeb, I laughed when I saw your mention of peanut butter in the fridge - I have battled that issue with every family member, roommate, and co-habitator I have ever had - PB does not need to be refrigerated!
PS. I am making your BC for this first time this week after reading about it for ages, so thanking you in advance!

GayeG - knew you had to be from the south when I saw you mention your Mamaw. I'm in the north, but my family is from the south - I had a Memaw icon_smile.gif

Awwwww - just "hearing" it again brings a smile to my face!! She is long gone but of course - deep in my soul!
I lived in Michigan for about 3 yrs, several years ago -where I had a large daycare and was SHOCKED icon_surprised.gif that the children there called their Grandparents by their first names!! (as well as other adults) And thats a HUGE no-no in the South (as well as saying Mam & Sir) - They would say: Im going to Grandma Sally's today - O MY - That was such a cultural shock for me!! I NEVER let them call me JUST Gaye thou - uh uh - They called me Ms Gaye (thats what we do in the South) And by the time I left - they called ALL adults Ms Sally or Mr Jim!!
Please dont take offence anyone who's children speaks this way!! Its just so not me and how we/everyone is raised in the South - so dif from the North or even West ... so was such a shock that there were OTHER ways!!! hahaha

GayeG Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #37 of 46
Quote:

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #38 of 46

I live in the North East and we were raised to always and ONLY address adults by their surname, ie Mr Smith or Mrs Jones. Even grandparents were addressed as Grandma Smith and Grandma Jones to distinguish the two. The only exception I can think of were Aunts and Uncles who would be Aunt Pat and Uncle Ron.

I could never imagine being so familiar with an adult as to address them by their first name. Even today, as a fifty-year-old, I still address those adult neighbors, etc. from my youth as Mr. or Mrs. And I'm kind of mortified when the neighborhood kids refer to me by my first name only, as if they were my equal.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I live in the North East and we were raised to always and ONLY address adults by their surname, ie Mr Smith or Mrs Jones. Even grandparents were addressed as Grandma Smith and Grandma Jones to distinguish the two. The only exception I can think of were Aunts and Uncles who would be Aunt Pat and Uncle Ron.

That's how I do/did it and my kids do the same! Although my husband's biological father and his girlfriend (who we only met 3 years ago) took it upon themselves to call themselves Poppy Bill and Nanny Rose (first names). I didn't argue as it would be too confusing with all the different last names. lol! My husband is from the same city as I am but always called his aunts and uncles by just their first name.

Oh, and about PB! lol! On my jar of just-peanuts peanut butter (no oil, salt, sugar, etc added) it says "refrigerate after opening." I don't refrigerate the peanut butter with all the crap added to it though!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:42pm
post #40 of 46

I told someone the other day that I didn't know what an epiderul was when I had my daughter and they said "you mean you had natural child birth"? I almost fell on the floor laughing. Makes you wonder how we lived through "those days".

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:43pm
post #41 of 46

I told someone the other day that I didn't know what an epiderul was when I had my daughter and they said "you mean you had natural child birth"? I almost fell on the floor laughing. Makes you wonder how we lived through "those days".

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Does that mean you gave birth "from scratch', tiggy?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #43 of 46

Am I just the oldest person on CC? You guys are so young that it makes me remember how I rode my dinosaur to school.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #44 of 46

I always chuckle at "remember when" or "back in the day"...cause I am a dinosaur too! I like to bake cakes ahead of time, freeze them then thaw and ice. Of course perishable fillings/icings should keep kept at food service safe temp.
Personally, I would not make for sale, anything that would need to be kept in fridge as I only have kitchen fridge and would be concerned that odors from other foods would contaminate the taste of the cake....then being only cottage law legal I couldn't sell anything perishable anyhow.

hellie0h Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #45 of 46

I always chuckle at "remember when" or "back in the day"...cause I am a dinosaur too! I like to bake cakes ahead of time, freeze them then thaw and ice. Of course perishable fillings/icings should keep kept at food service safe temp.
Personally, I would not make for sale, anything that would need to be kept in fridge as I only have kitchen fridge and would be concerned that odors from other foods would contaminate the taste of the cake....then being only cottage law legal I couldn't sell anything perishable anyhow.

hellie0h Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #46 of 46

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%