Stupid ? About 9 X 13

Decorating By katie11 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm by kakeladi

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 9

I've never had to make a 9 x 13" sheet cake before so bear with me. Do most of you do two layers (bake 2, 9 x13" cakes) and stack? Or do most people just torte one layer?

Thanks for answering this idiotic question!

katie

8 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 9

Not a stupid question at all! Wait til you see the myriad of responses you get. You'll be more confused than ever! icon_smile.gif

Whether or not to bake 2 9x13's depends on the number of servings you need. You'll have twice as much cake if you stack 2 cakes. Do you need 20 servings? Or 40 servings?

If I'm making the cake for mostly children, I won't torte and fill. There's plenty of icing on the top and sides.

If I'm making the cake for children and adults, I'll torte and fill if the client wants it.

Finally, if it's for all adults, I'll definitely torte and fill.

I follow the same guidelines for a single layer or double layer.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 9

Also depends on what's normal for your area. Around here, if people order a 9x13 sheet cake, then they expect to get a single layer rectangle cake covered in icing. Not layered, not torted.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 9

I don't torte my 9x13 and I never stack them - just doesn't look right to me. I rarely do them anymore though - I always try to encourage a round cake unless the design would work better with a sheet cake.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 9

Here they're always 3 layer stacked icon_smile.gif

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for your great responses. The cake is just for my family (I would never in a million years make a cake for anyone else because I truly have no idea what I am doing!) so I guess I don't need more than 20 servings. If I just do a 9 x 13 and don't fill it, will it be tall enough? I definitely want to put borders around it and I want to make sure there is space between the top and bottom borders.
Thanks again - you guys are the best!

Katie

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 9

It should be fine. A Costco cake is just one layer with some filling in the middle so they aren't much taller. If you need a visual just turn your cake pan upside down. It'll end up fairly close to that if you don't stack another layer on top.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie11

Thanks for your great responses. The cake is just for my family (I would never in a million years make a cake for anyone else because I truly have no idea what I am doing!) so I guess I don't need more than 20 servings. If I just do a 9 x 13 and don't fill it, will it be tall enough? I definitely want to put borders around it and I want to make sure there is space between the top and bottom borders.
Thanks again - you guys are the best!

Katie

I just looked at your cakes and you have some really cute ones in there! I loved the pink and brown present cake! So pretty!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 9

What IndyDebi said icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%