Quick Freeze Spray

Decorating By CutiePieCakes-Ontario Updated 11 Nov 2015 , 4:09am by CakesbyCaralin

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, all. I'm new here and this is my first post, so I'm not sure if this has been discussed before. (Great site, BTW.) thumbs_up.gif

On many of the cake competition shows, you see designers using a quick freeze spray - they spray with the can inverted. I have a few of questions about this.

1. I assume it's edible/safe? Otherwise, it wouldn't be allowed, right?

2. Has anyone used it?

3. If so, where can I get some? I'm in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks.

10 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 11

two sources for freeze spray:

http://shopchefrubber.com/product.php?productid=7540&cat=0&page=1

http://www.pastrychef.com/CHOCOLATE-amp-SUGAR-FREEZE-SPRAY_p_700.html

it's actually canned air like those cans you use to blast the dust out of keyboards.

if held upside down, most will spurt the liquid that's inside, which then rapidly expands and cools the surrounding air.

in essence miniature versions of a carbon dioxide based fire extinguisher EXCEPT these use other compressed gasses instead of CO2

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 11

The sites referenced above are for the correct thing to use on food because those companies are selling FOOD GRADE FREEZE SPRAY.

Just remember, keyboard cleaners ARE NOT FOOD GRADE AND SHOULD NOT BE USED ON ANYTHING THAT WILL BE EATEN ! The gases, containers, etc. used for keyboard cleaners can contain contaminants that could remain on the food after spraying.

If it might be eaten, you must use the food grade option.

Rae

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:56am
post #4 of 11

Thank you, Rae.... I was wondering why there was such a price diff in the products. I get canned air at Office Depot for much cheaper. The cans I saw used on FN last night for the chocolate challenge looked a lot like keyboard air.

Which brings a question to mind that came to me afterward.... WHAT THE HECK DID THEY DO WITH ALL THAT CHOCOLOATE?? That lion was solid. What do they do with the creations after the judgings????

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks for posting this CutiePieCakes-Ontario. Great questions, I've always been wondering this myself, but keep forgetting to post on here. Welcome to cc, you will love it! I'm so glad I know what they use now.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 11

In some cases, where it's a CERTAINTY that the piece won't be eaten and will then be thrown away, people will use the duster spray because it is so much cheaper than the food grade stuff.

Given the conditions during a challenge, I'm pretty certain that all of that chocolate is thrown away or possibly re-cycled for a "display ONLY" piece. You saw very few gloves, chocolate was touching clothes, etc. It would be pretty unprofessional to re-use that chocolate for something edible.

I treat everything I make as though it will be eaten--you never know about people after you leave the scene.

Rae

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for the info, fellow cakers. I plan on visiting McCall's Baking Warehouse (in Mississauga, Ontario) sometime soon, so I'll see if they have it there (or know where I can get it locally) before ordering from online.

icon_biggrin.gif

CakesbyCaralin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCaralin Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 11

Any follow up on this?  

Of the two sites Doug posted, one doesn't ship to Canada at all, and the other one want $80 to ship an $18 bottle of freeze spray!!

Has anyone found anything local in Canada??

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 11

Have you tried www.Goldaskitchen.com?

CakesbyCaralin Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 1:21am
post #10 of 11

I did, and no luck there either (they're always my first go-to spot), but thanks for suggesting it anyway!

CakesbyCaralin Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 4:09am
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%