Silly Question, But Can't Find The Answer!

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 4:10am by all4cake

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 11

How do you get holes in your cardboard cake boards?? I am going to try the stacking method where the dowels through the lower are slightly higher than the surface, and then the tops fit into holes in the upper layer's cake board. But I am not sure how to get the holes in the cake board clean!?

A hole punch would not fit in toward the center far enough, plus wouldn't punch through the thickness. How do you do yours? icon_confused.gif

ETA: OH, and how do I make sure the holes of the second layer's board do not end up in the same places as the top-most layer's hole!!?

10 replies
KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 11

I use a pencil sharpener on the end of my dowel. It makes a point and works great. Don't forget to support EVERY layer. If you don't you end up smushing your cake when you hammer in the dowel

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

ETA: OH, and how do I make sure the holes of the second layer's board do not end up in the same places as the top-most layer's hole!!?

Doncha want them in the same place?

Yes --do like Kawaii said or use a pointy steak knife and just bore out a hole in advance of placing the cake on it.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

Doncha want them in the same place?

Yes --do like Kawaii said or use a pointy steak knife and just bore out a hole in advance of placing the cake on it.

I think she means the final long dowel run through the center of all the tiers. Maybe?

Edna has a YouTube tutorial where she shows you how she stacks. Her final down is a little off center. Here it is:

[url]

]

edited to add that, upon reading her final question again, it might not be what I am thinking... but she is referring to the top tier... icon_confused.gif OP, can you clarify?

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 11

If you poke holes into or through your cake board where your dowels will sit it will compromise the strength of the cake board and therefore your support.....

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 11

I poke it with a knife. Sometimes, it's just not clean.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 11

I don't think OP is talking about driving a dowel down through her layers. Seems like she's trying to replicate an SPS-like system.

Sounds to me like she intends to make the 4 or 5 dowels that are inserted into her bottom tier, intended to support the 2nd tier, will be a bit taller than the bottom tier itself. She then intends to poke holes in the board that teir 2 sits on so tier 1's dowels will go up through the board, keeping tier 2 from sliding around.

The problem I see with this is that if the dowels in tier 1 go through the base board of tier one, you are no longer supporting the vertical weight of tier 2.

Maybe I'm misreading.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 11

It's hard to explain: I mean, if I have a triangle of 3 holes in the bottom of my top-most/third tier's board, so that the dowels sticking up from the middle tier fit into them, then the holes I put in the bottom of that middle tier's cake board cannot be in the same spot as the dowels going through the middle layer up to support the top/third tier. Get it!? Then, like a PP said, the dowels going through the middle/second tier will not have a sturdy/solid surface to sit on.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:

It's hard to explain: I mean, if I have a triangle of 3 holes in the bottom of my top-most/third tier's board, so that the dowels sticking up from the middle tier fit into them, then the holes I put in the bottom of that middle tier's cake board cannot be in the same spot as the dowels going through the middle layer up to support the top/third tier. Get it!? Then, like a PP said, the dowels going through the middle/second tier will not have a sturdy/solid surface to sit on.

I think I get yah, but I'm not positive.

But I would used purchased dowel for that. Wilton has 'em or you can use SPS--all separator brands probably have some you can sink into the bottom cake and then the next cake up doesn't sit flush but is up higher than the top of the lower tier.

Is that what you mean?

I mean I never put specific holes in cake boards other than ones that I thread down the dowel like topsy turvy & tilt a whirl cakes.

Could you hum a few bars? icon_biggrin.gif

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:01am
post #10 of 11

support each layer with dowels in a triangle pattern. sharpen dowel, find center, hammer. Don't need to precut holes.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:10am
post #11 of 11

OP, do you have an example cake that you could share...I know I'm slow...but I just ain't gettin' this one at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%