Turntable... Tilt Or No Tilt? Which Is Your Preferrence?

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm by Cheyanne25

jolie1977 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 17

I just went to Micheals to purchase a turntable, but ended up not sure which one I wanted to invest in so I didn't buy one yet. For around the same price, I could get a "professional turntable" that doesn't tilt, or one that does tilt at a 45 degree angle. Both by Wilton. Any personal experience with either? Preferences? Any advice would be appreciated because I can't decide!!!

16 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 17

I had the Wilton tilting turntable. I ended up returning it because within a short time, the part that holds the tilted turntable in place stripped, and it wouldn't stay on the angle.

If anyone knows a brand of tilting turntable that won't lose it's ability to lean, please let me know.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cocorum21 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 17

After the second cake slid off the tilting turn table, the tilt feature was retired. plus the spinning on the tilting turntable wasn't a smooth spin and that annoyed me.

I got rid of it after I got the fat daddio professional turn tables I like that they are heavy and don't move when I'm trying to move the cake on it. So my vote is professional.

cakes22 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 17

tilting freaks me out!!! icon_eek.gif With my spazzy luck, I would end up with more cake on the floor than anywhere else.

If I need to tilt my cakes, I try just to put something under one side of my lazy susan, or I just try to contort my body, arm , hand, head, piping bag to do what I need to do. icon_biggrin.gif

LynnZClaire Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 17

I just got the green and white ultimate wilton professional (I think thats the entire title) and I love it icon_smile.gif The cake stays in place and it turns very smooth icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 17

I have a Fat Daddio, they are $60-70. Very, very smooth, I just wish it had a stop and lock feature, but overall a great buy. A tilt feature would be nice too, but oh well.

sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 17

I got my tilting Wilton as a gift, and I use it, but not to spin and I don't use the tilt feature. I just end up putting my cake on a higher surface to do side designs, rather than tilting. My next turntable will be a quick-turning Ateco, with the silver top ($40-50 range), old school styleicon_smile.gif

loriana Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 17

I teach the Wilton courses and get asked this a lot. I HIGHLY recommend the professional, heavy metal turntable.

You won't lose a lot of mobility not being able to turn a cake up to decorate. The heavy weight of the base is very sturdy when you try rotating that half-sheet cake!
The turntable turns easily and is heavy metal. Professionals use this, generally Wilton or Ateco brand. Use your 40% off coupon and it will be one of your better investments after a good Kitchen Aid mixer icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 17

I have the cast iron Ateco turntable, it is fab! It moves super smoothly and it is a reasonable height. If I decorate the sides I just sit on a chair so I am low. Just don't get it wet or it will seize, I learned that the hard way. It took a lot of WD40 and elbow grease to get the top off the base.

jillangel Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #10 of 17

I have the one 3/4 down the page. Reversible convertible deluxe rotating turntable. 14x20 rectangular flip to 14" round. On here it is $36.50. A HUGE deal from what they were when I originally got it. It is wonderful. Sturdy. I wanted no part of a tilting one because I was sure my cakes would fall off.
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/wedding/Wturntables.htm
link blocked. google rotating reversible turntable and go to 7th link down or sugar craft .com no spaces.

JCE62108 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 17

Oh no. Dont get the tilting one. Just get the regular heavy - duty metal one for like $60.00. My mom got me the tilting one for my birthday. I was so disapointed. For one thing, its not professional. Its plastic. And it wobbles when it spins, and doesnt really spin well. Get the $60.00 metal one, and when you get it home open it and make sure the top is level and it spins without wobbling. I had to return one because of this, but the second one was fine. You dont need it to tilt, and the last thing you need is a plastic piece to break off, or worse, the thing to break while you have a heavy wedding cake sitting on it. Plus that tilting one is more expensive.

tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 17

I have the Wilton heavy duty turn table and it wobbles! I hate it so I replaced it with the Fat Daddios heavy duty and it's a DREAM.

salight Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 17

I bought the Wilton Pro Turntable from Michaels with a 50% off coupon and it wobbled so I exchanged it for the same model and it wobbles much less but the top isn't exactly round or level? I'm a home baker learning what I can when I can from this fantastic site but I'd still prefer to have decent tools to work with. Should I throw in the towel and buy a Fat Daddio/Ateco or am I overanalyzing because I've never used a turntable and I don't know what it's supposed to do? I'd love to see a good turntable spinning so I know what to look for if you have any links. Thanks!

Stefy Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:35pm
post #14 of 17

I love, love love the professional turntable but the tilting one is the worst money I ever spent. In fact, I have used it once (maybe twice) and it's been in a box every since!

salight Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:51pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy

I love, love love the professional turntable but the tilting one is the worst money I ever spent. In fact, I have used it once (maybe twice) and it's been in a box every since!

Stefy what exactly do you love about it? Is yours smooth and wobble free? Do you think I should give it another try? Sorry for bombarding you with questions! icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #16 of 17

The only Wilton turntable I would purchase is the one with the green center (plastic one). I got the professional one and it was wobbly.

Cheyanne25 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #17 of 17

I have a heavy metal turntable similar to the professional one. The stability makes it MUCH better, couldn't imagine using one made of plastic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%