3D Numbers On Top Of Cake

Decorating By tonia3604 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm by crisc23

tonia3604 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:37am
post #1 of 8

I need to put a 3D number 60 on top of a 3 tiered cake. I am making the numbers out of gumpaste. How do I make them stand up?

I want to make them like a cake on the pinkcakebox website. If anyone wants to check out the picture I am refering to it is under the celebration cakes tab, last row, 2nd from the right. It is a tiered cake with 16 on top. Does anybody know how they make their numbers stand up??

Thank for all your help!

7 replies
staceytisdale Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:39am
post #2 of 8

hey. i made my numbers fairly thick out of gumpaste/fondant and then put spaghetti in them and let them dry. Then they stood up just fine!

mommyle Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:44am
post #3 of 8

You can build them around lollipop sticks... You can make them out of chocolate... you can nestle them into a bed of stuff (like fondant)... You can build wires into them...

PinkZiab Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:22am
post #4 of 8

I can tell you from experience that Pink Cake Box uses wires or skinny dowels/skewers, depending on how heavy the topper is.

icer101 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:29am
post #5 of 8

i just made a large no. 40... coming up this week end .. i used a small skewer in each one.. drying now.. i made no. 50 last week end for anniversary.. did the same.. did great. haven,t posted picture yet of the 50th cake.. hth

Ariginal Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #6 of 8

I make mine from plaque paste as it sets with in a day.. i insert a toothpick in the bottom while it is still wet. I make a long sausage and make my number letter what have you from the sausage as i can then make it thinish and its not tooo heavy.. then when i put into cake i put royal icing under it to cement it...

I did however do a 50 for an anniversary cake but that went onto a plaque so i didnt use a toothpick but did glue it with royal icing and used 2 supports on either side till it set then i put decoration of flowers round it for more stability.

tonia3604 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone!

crisc23 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 8

I let my numbers dry hard then glue them to sucker/lollipop sticks with melted chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%