3D Numbers On Top Of Cake

Decorating By tonia3604 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm by crisc23

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:37am
post #1 of 8

I need to put a 3D number 60 on top of a 3 tiered cake. I am making the numbers out of gumpaste. How do I make them stand up?

I want to make them like a cake on the pinkcakebox website. If anyone wants to check out the picture I am refering to it is under the celebration cakes tab, last row, 2nd from the right. It is a tiered cake with 16 on top. Does anybody know how they make their numbers stand up??

Thank for all your help!

7 replies
staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:39am
post #2 of 8

hey. i made my numbers fairly thick out of gumpaste/fondant and then put spaghetti in them and let them dry. Then they stood up just fine!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:44am
post #3 of 8

You can build them around lollipop sticks... You can make them out of chocolate... you can nestle them into a bed of stuff (like fondant)... You can build wires into them...

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:22am
post #4 of 8

I can tell you from experience that Pink Cake Box uses wires or skinny dowels/skewers, depending on how heavy the topper is.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:29am
post #5 of 8

i just made a large no. 40... coming up this week end .. i used a small skewer in each one.. drying now.. i made no. 50 last week end for anniversary.. did the same.. did great. haven,t posted picture yet of the 50th cake.. hth

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #6 of 8

I make mine from plaque paste as it sets with in a day.. i insert a toothpick in the bottom while it is still wet. I make a long sausage and make my number letter what have you from the sausage as i can then make it thinish and its not tooo heavy.. then when i put into cake i put royal icing under it to cement it...

I did however do a 50 for an anniversary cake but that went onto a plaque so i didnt use a toothpick but did glue it with royal icing and used 2 supports on either side till it set then i put decoration of flowers round it for more stability.

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone!

crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 8

I let my numbers dry hard then glue them to sucker/lollipop sticks with melted chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%