What Flowers Can Be Used On A Cake?

Decorating By aggiewife12 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 2:48am by JenniferMI

aggiewife12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiewife12 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 5

Can you use Gerbera daisies on a cake? Are they safe? Any tips?

Thanks!

4 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 5

In my opinion, all flowers are safe to use on cakes, as long as you create a barrier between the flowers and the cake. NEVER stick bare stems into a cake...that in my book, is a no no.

Jen icon_smile.gif
Former florist icon_smile.gif

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:24am
post #3 of 5

Hi. I'm glad this subject came up, because it's been bothering me, too.

I've had instructors who placed roses directly on top of each cake tier. When I asked about food safety issues, I was told that I could always dip the stem in white chocolate. However, that doesn't account for the rest of the flower laying directly on the cake. (Trying to be polite, I didn't pursue it any further in class.)

So, I checked w/the floral manager at our local Safeway store. She told me that they are importing all of their roses from Central America and that I should DEFINITELY NOT place them on a cake. After losing two floral managers at other stores to cancer, she researched the chemicals they are using on the roses and discovered that those chemicals are banned here in the U.S.A. SO, BE CAREFUL! This is especially important for people with compromised immune systems, as well as children who will metabolize these chemicals much faster.

I did locate a grower locally who uses NO pesticides; however, this person does not grow roses. I additionally checked with a major rose supplier to the Portland Flower Market on Swan Island, and the rep told me that they, too, use pesticides so the flowers should not be placed directly in contact with the cake.

Jennifer, what type of barrier do you use? I've seen SO many cakes w/flowers strewn across each tier, and they all look lovely. However, what can you use to create that barrier which is not so slick that the flowers fall off?
THANKS!

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #4 of 5

http://www.cakecentral.com/article18-List-of-Non-Toxic-Flowers-for-Garnishing-your-Cake.html

i found this link on here one day, and favorited it for future reference. also, i dip my stems in an unscented wax to keep them from "leaking" into the cake itself. make sure if you get flowers from a florist, that they have not been soaked in anything. hope this helps

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #5 of 5

It really all depends on what look you are going after with the flowers. For example, if you wanted a cascade all the way down the cake. You could dip your stems in wax or chocolate and then place a small sq. of plastic wrap behind the head of the flower, so none of it touches the cake. On top of a cake, you can easily place plastic wrap or make a plaque of choc or fondant to place your flowers on. You just have to get creative...but like I said NEVER place bare stems into a cake. That is just plain gross. I'm a former florist and if you could smell some of the flower buckets...ewwww...nasty bacteria.

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%