post #1 of 57

is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

56 replies
blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:43am
post #2 of 57

Im here. Not working on anything. Just glad the work week is over and can relax.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 57

I should have been done hours ago. Where does the time go? 1 two tier and 1 four tier, both fondant. Now to pipe some leaves and vines.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #4 of 57

Oh holy geeze..I started ballcaps for grooms cakes for tomorrow...they have darn near killed me, I hardly ever do full coverage fondant. I will attach a pic, they will have team logos on them when they are done. The caps and huge wedding cake are due by 6 tomorrow....what are the odds they will hold up? What are you up to tonight?

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #5 of 57

Not working this weekend. After last weekend's 7 tier wedding cake - I am pooped and want to relax icon_smile.gif

BTW Leahs, I did order the SPS for the wedding cake and I am an absolute believer in it and will never make a tiered cake without it! I couldn't believe how sturdy that cake felt. And when they had to lift the entire cake and cake base up to put some support under the cake base, it never wiggled and I was thanking you over and over in my mind.

So thanks!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #6 of 57

Ehhhh......procrastinating. Got a little bitty quilted 6" birthday cake for tomorrow, easy peasy. I'm thinking about going in and filling it soon. Maybe. Plenty o' time. Slow weekend!

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:49am
post #7 of 57

I'm baking for a wedding cake and two birthday cakes this weekend. My full time day job threw a monkey wrench into my weekend by calling mandatory overtime Saturday morning. Thank goodness the wedding cake has two styrofoam dummies in it. I think that is my only saving grace.

Oh...and on top of that, our street is having it's annual block sale and DH wants to participate. I just forewarned him that he can't get all crabby because I can't help him out.

And somewhere in all of that, we have to go to a Funeral Home for a visitation. A former co-worker of DH passed this last Monday. He was only 32 and apparently he died from a staph infection. Just a shame someone so young.

So that's my weekend....

Gayle
SE MI

leah_s Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:51am
post #8 of 57

ptanyer,
Welcome to the SPS choir!!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:51am
post #9 of 57

well don't know why I can't get my pics to attach...
anyway....happy friday all!

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #10 of 57

I finally have something do talk about that involves acctual cakes. I have a 2 tier grad cake for tom and then a 3 tier grad-bday cake for sunday. Have already made cap and diploma for sat and was starting to make b/c and dicovered that i have no meringue poweder, and kid has car, so i will be heading to store around midnight to get it. lol, it figures. Have already baked and torted saturdays cake, and will bake and tort sun cake tom. these are my second and third tiered cakes, so im really excited, i even get paid for one of them. woohoo!

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #11 of 57

I'm working on a graduation cake and cookie bouquet for Sunday.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:55am
post #12 of 57

I'm wishing I had cakes to do, and a house to do it in and my family here to eat my scraps. I'm at my new job in Knoxville, TN. We now do have a contract on our house in CO and my hubby is on the way here now to help pick a house this weekend. We have 3 weeks to be out of CO so we HAVE to pick one now and I'm stressing....giving myself ulcers. But at least I have something to do so I don't sit here pining for my little ones that I just can't bear to be away from. Crying does no good but it does get me to sleep some nights.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #13 of 57

I just got home from decorating my cousin's wedding cake at the reception hall. It is buttercream, 3 tiered and supposed to have styrofoam "pillars" in between. I doweled everything and the cake still insisted on leaning. I removed the pillars and stacked them, but am still not happy. Since it is a "freebie" the design is totally up to me and I've decided that as soon as I get to the hall tomorrow, that cake is geeting all gussied up in fondant - i've vetoed the buttercream decision. Once that is done, I have to cook the dinner for 108 people. If only I didn't have a day job! At least I'm off next week and I will be spending some time on my bday cake - trying the glow in the dark thing!

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #14 of 57

Makes me wish I really had an $800 cake to ruin with a satin ribbon like I was joking about earlier!

Which reminds me.....this summer is shaping up to be a little slow. I offered a 10% discount to all orders placed IN and FOR the months of July August and September. 10% is no skin off my teeth in the long run. Have gotten some business from it so far.

Also....I got a heads up about a cake for 500 people early next year. They are under the impression that it will be around $1000. Hard to balk at a number like that, but of course, that means $2.00/svg.....ummmm, wow. I don't think so. I certainly don't want to outright balk at that "budget" if they even have one yet...but I need to be careful with this one, I know.

And I don't want to give them a base price either, without knowing their design idea, fondant or no fondant, because I am totally willing to budge on price for a number like that. I mean, if it were for 250 people, forget it, I'd have a number for them right now.

But when $1000 is thrown right out there....it's a tasty looking carrot. icon_biggrin.gif

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #15 of 57

"mpetty, who the heck is she?!" A newbie who saw your thread. I'm just doing a practice cake, breaking in the "fresh-out-of-the-box" KA Pro 600 that I inherited a couple of weeks ago. My first order of Sweetex came in this week too, so I'm just experimenting with some of the tips you CC stars are so generous with. icon_razz.gif

One minor disappointment: I read a post this week where some cakers don't use flour in their pans, saying that the cakes rise more evenly. I tried it, but it seems that my doctored mix cake actually turned out dry, at least around the edges. I'm wondering if I didn't need to bake it as long without the flour, or maybe the even-strips were overkill. In any case, it's the first time I've had a dry cake. Bummer. icon_sad.gif

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:57am
post #16 of 57

Ok not to sound dumb, well I usually do anyway......what does SPS stand for?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:57am
post #17 of 57

I've got nothing icon_sad.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #18 of 57

Ooooooo....mpetty, you are having a ball, eh? Well, maybe not so much with the cakes being dry, I'd go back to what works for ya!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:00am
post #19 of 57

I have 3 wedding cakes, 1 cake buffet ( 7 10 inch rounds) , and 5 birthdays for tomorrow , In total over 1400 servings of cake and it's just me icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:01am
post #20 of 57

3 weddings. Delivered one at 5:00 today, then back to the shop to finish the big one .... a 5-tier that is suppose to look like a wedding dress. (the 4 tier was finished this morning.) So the 5-tier is all assembled with about 10 lbs of fondant cascading down it. Not sure if I like how the sash turned out, but when I get a pic tomorrow, you all can let me know. I kept lifting it to make sure I'd be able to pick it up and carry it.

But on the good side, hubby came down to the shop when he got off of work just to keep me company and then took me to dinner at the restaurant right next door! A pleasant surprise and a nice treat!

Oh ... when I finished the dress-cake, I told hubby, "Ok, here we go! The cake challenge of moving the fully assembled cake!" (ok, WE thought it was funny! icon_lol.gif )

I've got beef cooking for beef-n-noodles for tomorrow's catering that goes with the 4 tier cake. Ahhhh! Smells SO good in here!

leah_s Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:05am
post #21 of 57

SPS = Single Plate Separator. BEST system to support your cake. Cheap, easy, sturdy.

Also, mpetty try pan grease on your pans. Equal parts floue, oil and veg shortening whipped together then painted on the pan. Works like a charm.

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:07am
post #22 of 57

Hey Tara, what kind of BC do they use at PCB? I was reading that "fluffy frosting like Pink Cake Box" thread earlier...then I read a post on Anne's blog referring to American BC....does she use that for every cake?

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

I have 3 wedding cakes, 1 cake buffet ( 7 10 inch rounds) , and 5 birthdays for tomorrow , In total over 1400 servings of cake and it's just me icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

icon_eek.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #24 of 57

HELLLLOOOOOO ladies! I'm working on a graduation cake that I still need to ice and even make GP pieces for. I also ran out of icing so I'll start working on that sometime soon. It's due tomorrow for my nephews graduation. I got all the other cakes due done, but not the one for my own family member. I made the mistake of sitting down and now I'm unable to get back up icon_lol.gif

I haven't posted to one of these in a while, but the last few weekends I've only got about 3 hours of sleep a night because of desserts and cakes.
Last night was another 3 hour sleep night so I guess that explains my lack of motivation huh? icon_lol.gif

mpetty Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Ooooooo....mpetty, you are having a ball, eh? Well, maybe not so much with the cakes being dry, I'd go back to what works for ya!

You betcha'! I've been pining away for a KA for a long time, and just about fell to the ground when my uncle pulled the box out of the car and it was a Pro 600. I'm definitely going back to cake release. Too bad I wasted all that raspberry jam. icon_cry.gif Ah well, every day should bring something new to learn, eh?

mpetty Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:14am
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

icon_eek.gif

LOL, I agree! You all are amazing. Guess I really am going to focus on streamlining the process. Can't imagine how you all do as much as you do!

leah_s Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:18am
post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetty

LOL, I agree! You all are amazing. Guess I really am going to focus on streamlining the process. Can't imagine how you all do as much as you do!

Sleep is overrated.

Munchkinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Munchkinette Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:19am
post #28 of 57

I'm not doing anything tonight but relaxing. I did spend the day working on my mom's birthday cake. When DH got home from work we packed up our van and drove 2 hrs with the cake to my parents house. Amazingly we had no mishaps and the cake made the trip safely!

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:20am
post #29 of 57

I still have lots of bows to make and I haven't finished final coating ANYTHING!!

leah_s Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #30 of 57

Let me sing the praises of royal icing to fill in those little dings in fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%