06.05.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 2:35am by mkolmar

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:39am
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Let me sing the praises of royal icing to fill in those little dings in fondant.

Oh yes, works like a charm...just make sure your colors match perfectly

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:41am
post #32 of 57

white. icon_smile.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:51am
post #33 of 57

It has been a while since I have had a cake on Friday. Doing a zoo cake with lots of real estate and little cake! I am having fun with this one. She asked for a small cake with the WOW factor and left it up to me. A few more hours, cat nap, delivery and a nice picnic at the zoo!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:51am
post #34 of 57

I'm here...I'm here. Don't laugh but I am working on my birthday cakes. I'm celebrating with two separate groups of friends tomorrow. I celebrated with my family this evening.

I have a really rich cookie that I am using as the cake as some of the friends are allergic to wheat in traditional cakes. I'll put one into the oven and see how that goes cooking wise.

I should be working on the fondant accents but I might just go to sleep early and get up really really early to do the accents and frost.

oneyracing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneyracing Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:58am
post #35 of 57

i have 3 cakes...a tackle box, an electrical outlet, and a hard hat...my day just started off bad too...i am doing something wrong with my buttercream and it is not turning out right...really really stiff...to where i cant spread it at all... icon_cry.gif ...so i tried another one and it seems to be working better...my mixer broke today...and luckly my dad offered to buy me a new kitchen aid.. icon_lol.gif ....that made me feel better...but then i was making fondont and the first two batches went ok...and the third just wasnt right...i didnt do anything different...it has just been one of those days today

leah_s Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:27am
post #36 of 57

Starting to clean up the kitchen. I can sure make a mess!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:55am
post #37 of 57

Hey ladies. Not a lot here. Eating my birthday cake icon_smile.gif and making a birth day cake for my new arrival. Could use some help. Bought the FMM letter cutters but can't get the fondant letters out without messing them up. Is there some secret to it?

Oh just saw the royal icing to fix dings on Cake Boss yesterday. What a great idea!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:07am
post #38 of 57

Hey Twooten - tap the FMM in a little bit of cornstarch (or just dust with your cornstarch sock) and the letters will pop right out.

I'm here - but heading to bed for a few hours sleep -- before I screw up the 4 tier wedding cake, grooms cake and 2 baby shower cakes. I am exhausted from the 6 previous weeks of stuffed to the gills cake orders and I am totalling beginning to believe that yes Leah - sleep is overrated!!

I just hope noone is invited to the 2 seperate baby showers this weekend - because the cakes are going to be identical!!

The grooms cake is ready for the decorations (fishing theme with a gp crappie) and the wedding tiers are iced and smoothed - I'm ready to double check with the level and then i need more chocolate buttercream to decorate the baby shower cakes and finish the trim on the grooms cake. But DH actually cleaned my KA's to a shine tonight while I was working and I hated to turn around and start making choc bc and mess them up again!!

I'll check back in a few hours!

good luck all

Suze

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:30am
post #39 of 57

its 1:30 am .. been working so hard on the 50th wedding anniversary cake for tomorrow.. i forgot about the fri. nite cake club.. been working on it all day.. left . had to teach at michaels.. got back on it around 10:00 and haven,t stopped. i am using jennifer dontz pearl clay for my pearls around around each tier. actually made all my roses with it. and my calla lilies. and leaves. very proud of the way they turnes out. made a gold loopy bow topper with pearl edges.. etc.. i,m really tired. here by myself tonight. hubby out on the big truck.. so things go a little better.. not talking and working. have a good nite.. everyone.. i,ll hang out again next fri. nite. hooe all of your work goes good and easy..

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:33am
post #40 of 57

I've got a little 6" birthday cake a lady ordered for her son, and I'm also doing my DH's cake! I wasn't going to be up so late, but I was GONE all day today, mostly preparing and then performing with my band! Woot... Now to my OTHER favorite thing: CAKING!

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:00am
post #41 of 57

I am here struggling with RI butterflies. Not liking the way they turned out. Some broke, others just do not look right. Just ordered butterfly molds so I can do them in chocolate if I can not get them the way I want in RI. Cake is for the 13th, but I have never worked with RI until the last few days. It takes so long to dry!!! Just not happy with the way they look after all dried... anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:14am
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

Hey ladies. Not a lot here. Eating my birthday cake icon_smile.gif and making a birth day cake for my new arrival. Could use some help. Bought the FMM letter cutters but can't get the fondant letters out without messing them up. Is there some secret to it?

Oh just saw the royal icing to fix dings on yesterday. What a great idea!

If you have time let them dry a bit before taking them out.

jlynnw Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:18am
post #43 of 57

UGGGH! My cake is not turning out right! It is due in 8 hours and I want sleep! Sleep really is over rated right???

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:22am
post #44 of 57

Hi Ladies,

I don't know if anyone is still up, it' 2 am here in MI. This is my first time for Friday night cake club. Too bad we can't have audio forums while we work. I just came in here to put my feet up, for whatever reason my legs are really swelling. Has anyone ever tried those gel mats?

Things are not going well. And, what's worse, I'm probably the worlds' slowest decorator to boot! I'm making 2 graduatioin cakes for 200 for tomorrow. Indideb, I caught myself because I almost typed 2 sheet cakes! (4 18 x 12 cakes - 2layers if you will) icon_lol.gif Tanks for your replies this week, I always enjoy hearing from you! thumbs_up.gif As I've said to so many, you are the Dear Abby of the cake world! That "honor" can't go to just anyone, don't you know! icon_biggrin.gif

So, my disaster...I made 8 batches of my frosting last pm at my friend's house (she was given a free hobart mixer and I thought I should baptize it by frosting rather than abusing my KA). I left it in the car overpm, subbed today but had all windows partly down. Well, don't you know it was "mucky" by the time I got home! I was heart sick! I've spend 6 hours (Yes, can you believe it???? ) fixing it and making batches of new frosting.. I finally discovered I needed to add more fat (Crisco) to bring it back. Well, it's pretty great if I do say so myself but God Almight I didn't need this set back!

I just got all 8 (actually 10 because I'm having an 8" cake on each one also) leveled so I'm not ready to do that dreaded task of frosting and filling! God, I don't know WHY I can't frost a cake faster than I do after 20+ years of doing cakes (just a hobby), I just get so danged irritated with myself! I'm a perfectionist too and if my cakes can't look like the one in the Wilton yearbook (if I'm happening to do a requested cake from their yearbook), I feel like a failure.

I spent the last 2 nights baking til 3 and 4 am. We only have a 650 sq. ft. house so we are space challenged. Anyway, I had one of the 12 x 18 cakes on a cookie sheet wrapped up on our couch. I go into the living room and my son is talking to his girlfriend on the cell phone while laying down on the couch with his FEET on my cake! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif !! I asked him what he thought he had his feet on (the lights were out) and he said a sleeping bag because it was so "comfortable!" My husband did a Kroger run at 11:45 for more ingredients. MAN OH MAN!

Okay, I better go, I'll check in again in a while. I got smart and had my husband bring home a Wendy's chili for a snack through the night - just have to get a little protein in. Then it will be a shower because I'm feeling sugared and sticky! ugh! I've been praying the past hour that God would take over my hands so I can get done. Now I'm worried I wont' have these done by the am; at least I only need 4 frosting colors!

Thanks for letting me be a part of your group...you guys are becoming more and more of my daily thoughts as I wonder what all the fellow CCs are doing. I did think last Friday pm that this Friday pm I could write in. Okay, my V-8 is gone and so am I...

Happy Saturday! icon_smile.gif

Deb

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:25am
post #45 of 57

Feet? On cake? Really? I think that officially trumps Taiwanese-rat urine soaked satin ribbon on cake. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

auntbeesbaking Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:27am
post #46 of 57

BTW, I KNOW people get to decide their wedding cake flavors, but if I'm still alive when my boys grow up and get married and I do their wedding cake, their fiances better not pick whiite! (I know Indideb your ?son-in-law would have a cow and take his present home icon_lol.gif ha ha!), but I HATE, HATE, HATE making a white cake - it's so dang fragile!!! I'm tired of it being worried it's going to fall apart!" GGGRRRRRR!!!!

Okay, I really got to go now!!!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:33am
post #47 of 57

I did a graduation cake for a neighbor that I was supposed to deliver at 5:30 this evening. I got the cake done, it looked great, and I was sitting with my feet up when she called at 6:30 and asked me if I was still going to deliver her cake. I totally SPACED it. I was so embarrassed. Luckily, she was 2 minutes away and the guests were just arriving so I didn't hold up the party. I've never done that before.

Just finished a birthday cake that the customer is picking up tomorrow at 11AM. I've written myself a note so I don't go off to the grocery store or something!!

jlynnw Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:17am
post #48 of 57

calling it quits! I will finish in the morning! Nite alls

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:46am
post #49 of 57

I ment to write earlier. I'm working on a mini 2 tier (6'' & 4'') and an 8'' birthday cake that is kicking my butt. It's for a friend's grandmother, and she just called today to tell me about how picky she is and all of the things I shouldn't do (and pretty much destroyed the design I had in mind) so now I've got a cake covered in white fondant, and no idea what to do with it. Ugh.. It's 1:46 am here.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:27am
post #50 of 57

Looks like I'm the last one up. I made a really loose, kinda artsy/whimsical flower out of fondant. I'm praying that it dries so I can lusture dust it and call that cake done. For now, sleep! Crazy concept, eh?

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:28am
post #51 of 57

no cakes tonight, i was out for cocktails with the girls from work - just had a 70's two tier, 50th bday and football cakes this week - so quite quiet icon_smile.gif

auntbeesbaking Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:46am
post #52 of 57

Friday night has now turned into Sat. am; looks like no sleep.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:18am
post #53 of 57

Well I'm back up and ready to get back at it and get these cakes finished!!

Time for a strong cup of coffee ladies ---

leah_s Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:37am
post #54 of 57

Best of luck today on deliveries!

jlynnw Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #55 of 57

Off to deliver. FINALLY! The cake turned out ok and just OK. I really had high hopes but this week it just wasn't for me. Time to get new airbrush! Have a great day and see you next week!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #56 of 57

I love my airbrush, and I loves my pearl shimmer spray....wish it showed up in the pics better...it's really pretty. This is the only cake I had this weekend, and it's the LAST until July...vacation time!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1386371

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #57 of 57

I was up till 3 am this morning. I ran out of sweetex and had some in the deep freeze. That was fun trying to get it to thaw magically because I needed to make icing. I have a cheesecake to make tonight as well as another cake. I'll be up late again.

Hope everything turned out well with all of your cakes and you get some much deserved sleep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%