The Nerve Of Some People -- Long Vent

Decorating By sjbeatty8 Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm by sjbeatty8

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #1 of 13

My first experience with a cake issue..

I did a wedding cake for a friend of friend.... It was simple, buttercream w/ ribbon border .. three tier.
I set it up today and the staff at the location was rude the whole time. They picked up one of the sheet cakes and almost dropped it. Then one lady when I just set the top tier on (I stacked on site) blurted out "its crooked". I nicely replied "thanks, I am working on it".

When I was done it was the slightest bit off on the top tier but the average person would never have noticed. Then came along the questionable cake topper and the florist put it on and then it tilted a little more.. just the top tier and again to the common eye I dont think you would have seen.

So my brother was the DJ and he was setting up while the staff was finishing everything. He texted me to tell me they were picking on the cake, bad mouthing me and just being so rude. They were saying that I told them I didnt care it was crooked and blah blah.

My brother was afraid the rude people would say something to the bride so he told her that the flowers made the top tier off a little and she said " Its beautiful and looks fine to me" so that was good...

I wish I could go back over there and throw it at the rude people. How dare they... I would like to see them decorate a wedding cake.

Ok.. done venting.. thanks for listening.

12 replies
MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 13

There are definitely some really nasty people out there. I thought you handled it politely and professionally. Really as long as the bride was happy, who really cares about some miserable staff.

I'm sure everyone who ate your creation was pleased and so should you be. icon_wink.gif

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 13

We all know people really stink!!!!!! Most of the time (as I am sure is the case here) they are jealous! These people work in a catering hall - not that there is anything wrong with doing that, it's just that the job is monotonous. They serve people and talk about people. It's all they have. You, on the other hand, have a talent. You are doing what you enjoy and are getting paid for it! (And are probably making more thn them doing it.) Don't let the negativity of others bring you down. They could only wish to be able to create something as beautiful as you.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #4 of 13

so so sorry this happened to you. mean people suck. glad to know your brother has your back right? as long as the bride/customer is happy we are happy!

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:18am
post #5 of 13

Sorry that you had this bad of an experience. Sounds to me that were very unprofessional. I would call and talk to the manager or owner of this establishment and let them know how there staff made you feel. I wonder if they have someone else that tends to do wedding cakes for them and since the bride went with someone else they decided to take it out on you. At least the bride loved the cake and truely thats the only one that matters.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #6 of 13

When I first started making cakes, I was setting one up in a hotel and one of the set-up staff was making snide comments. I was a kid then (20's) and she was in her 50's, so I'm sure she thought I had no idea what I was doing. She asked how many the cake was suppose to serve and I told her 150. She said there was no way it would serve that many.

I said, "Actually, it's made to serve more than that ... the bottom tier alone will serve 100." (It was a 14" square ... serves 98 ). She again expressed her doubt. I said, "I've been making these for a few years, so I'm sure we're fine.

She said, "Well, I've been working weddings for a lot longer than you and there's no way that cake is big enough!"

I stopped setting up the cake, turned to her and said, "Well, maybe that's why YOU work FOR someone and *I* own my own company." and went back to setting up the cake. (see? I've ALWAYS been a mouthy b*tch! icon_lol.gif )

She shut the hell up and left me alone.

btw, after we cut and served all of the guests, we had about 1/3 of the cake leftover.

Quote:
Quote:

I would call and talk to the manager or owner of this establishment and let them know how there staff made you feel.

I wouldn't ..... I wouldn't say a thing about how it makes me FEEL. I'd tell the mgr/owner that badmouthing my cake, when there is nothing wrong with it, could damage my business and my business reputation, and quietly suggest that you would NOT want to see their facility dragged into an issue about damaging your business and business reputation with such irresponsible comments from a few unknowing and ignorant employees. (or you could say it much nicer ... remember, I've ALWAYS been a mouthy b*tch! icon_rolleyes.gif )

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 13

Oh gosh, she probably can't even decorate a dam* cake. Those are the type of people you shouldn't care about. She not even a guest. She's probably ticked off because she ain't gettin' no dam* food.

Ugh people nowadays.

ps. be happy, the bride loved it.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 13

Holy crap Debi....you and your humongous swinging cake balls. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 13

I wouldn't worry about the staff. They were probably bored looking for something to talk about. A very swish fine dining restaurant I once worked in the floor staff used to give a complimentary drink each night to a customer. The ugliest customer, of course they didn't say this. Scum.

When people have too much time on their hands they can get snipey. Just brush it off, who cares what they think anyway?

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Holy crap Debi....you and your humongous swinging cake balls. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 13

I last weekend had a similar experience.....this BI**H that worked at the venue I was dropping off had an attitude problem with me from the get go! I really think they were pissed that I was doing the cake, and that they didn't get the cake from the venue or their source...oh well so sad, not my problem....maybe if there cakes were as good as mine, they would have ordered from them...(I know me being sure of myself hun?) I called to touch base with her about delivery time and she gave me issues...told me I had to deliver the cake at noon no excepts...I said to her funny as the event starts at 11:30, and I don't think my client would appreciate me walking into her event a half hour after her party starts...she said, "whatever". So I go to drop the cake off...it was warm that day, and they want me to put a full buttercream, tiered cake on a table in the direct sunlight. I poliety said the cake really should be in a cooler spot since it is buttercream, and there is two fillings in the cake. Her come back was so I guess we don't know what we are doing with cakes, hun...been doing them for years....and my come back to her (which I tend not to be quite, more outspoken...kinda like Debbie!) I said and like I don't know what I am doing...she said I don't think so, it doesn't show it....ok so now the claws come out I told her straight out I have been doing this for 12 F**KING years, I think I know what I am doing.. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I walked out immediately after that, called my client let her know of the circumstance, as I really felt that this lady was crazy enough to do something to the cake, to show the client that I wasn't capable! I will NEVER go to the venue again!!!!! If I have a customer want a cake for there they will have to come and pick it up....on the flipside she apparently is like this to clients too...in this economy if she keeps that up she won't have any business...hey more cake orders for me! What a wack-O! I would email or send your bride an thank you for her business, also I agree I would call the manager of the facility and speek to him/her about your issue...I unfortunately couldn't do that since that person is HER!!! Sorry for you...just ignore people like this...all in all usually they are just jealous and ignorant!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

btw, after we cut and served all of the guests, we had about 1/3 of the cake leftover.

haha! I hope you bought those leftovers back from the bride, boxed them up with a big bow and had them delivered to that hag.

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks everyone... you have made me fell soooooo much better... Not that I like that other people have problems, but at least its not me.

Because im just doing this for fun I dont want to cause a big stink with the venue and then have it cause problems for me.. .... but little do those people know that I am very close with the best friend of the person that runs the whole venue.... so I might have to drop some hints!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%