Mmf...what Did I Do Wrong This Time? Ive About Had It. :'(

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm by kearniesue

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 28

This stuff is just more tempermental than I think I want to deal with. There has only been 2 times out of about 12 times that Ive tried it that the stuff has come out perfect. Im not really doing anything different.

I envy those of you who say you NEVER have a problem with it. What brand MM are you using and what brand shortening? How do you do it EXACTLY. You have to have some secret that I dont know because this is just making me go mad!

Ok, the last times I did it I added water while I melted it per instructions on the recipe. THIS time I got advice to not add any water while melting, just use the crisco. My recipe calls for 1/2 cup of crisco. I took just about that amount and greased the inside of the bowl with it. Melted the MM, it all looked good. When I was kneading it at first it looked pretty normal. After about 5 minutes it started to get really elastic-y. Like, it would snap back after pulling it. Ive never had that happen before. I let it sit for about an hour while I baked my cookies. Went back to knead it again and mix in my colors and this is what I got.

PS
I used the jet puff brand MM and the walmart brand shortening.

27 replies
rushing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rushing Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 28

Don't use Jet-Puffed! I think that's probably your problem. For MMF, it's always best to go with the cheap brand of marshmallows. thumbs_up.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 28

I will tell you how I do it and have never had a problem this way. Get a microwave safe bowl and grease it. Add a bag of mini mm. Heat at 30 seconds at a time until melted. Grease spoon and stir (add color now if wanted). Grease your counter and hands, put about a half bag of icing sugar in a pile, then pour your mms on top and start kneading. I have never used that much shortening. Once kneaded put some shortening around and wrap with saran wrap and let it rest. It is so easy and like I said I have always come out with a great batch. Also it is so fast you can make alot of batches at once. Hope this helps!
TL
Also if it needs more icing sugar you can add to it.

JCE62108 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 28

Argh. Some people swear jet puffed it fine and some say its not. I shouldnt have got it this time though, my gut told me not to get it but the store brand was out. icon_sad.gif

EDIT:
Can I use the large MM for this? The local mini store has some bags of the large MM. Otherwise its 30 minutes to the closest grocery store. Maybe Ill go buy some of them when my son gets up from his nap if you guys think that will work.

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushing

Don't use Jet-Puffed! I think that's probably your problem. For MMF, it's always best to go with the cheap brand of marshmallows. thumbs_up.gif

icon_lol.gif I had the exact opposite problem. I used the cheap brand and they wouldn't melt right. I just got globs of marshmallows. I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. It has corn syrup in it that makes it super flexible. Which recipe are you using?

JackieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieA Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 28

I too find that Jet Puffed does NOT work icon_sad.gif I just use the store brand. I use large or mini MM's .... it doesn't seem to matter.

I think you might be using too much Crisco. My recipe just says to grease the bowl.

JCE62108 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 28

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (use a good quality brand)

2 to 5 tablespoons water

2 pounds icing sugar (please use C&H Cane Powdered Sugar for the best results)

1/2 cup Crisco shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl)

In the photo on the website there is a picture of the jet puffed. lol

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

Can I still add corn syrup to it???

JCE62108 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieA

I too find that Jet Puffed does NOT work icon_sad.gif I just use the store brand. I use large or mini MM's .... it doesn't seem to matter.

I think you might be using too much Crisco. My recipe just says to grease the bowl.

Your recipe doesnt say to use a 1/2 cup?

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 28

I ALWAYS USE STORE BRAND AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM....I ALSO USE STORE BRAND SHORTENING

JackieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieA Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 28

Nope...I use this recipe http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-5-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.htm (I hope that link works!!)

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 28

I think it's important to use mini marshmallows. Start with 16 oz. of Kraft. The amount of sugar will vary depending on humidity, etc. Start with 1 lb.

Important to note the Crisco in Peg's recipe is for "greasing" - the bowl, counter, spoon, hands, etc. You don't add it into the marshmallow! HTH icon_smile.gif

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 28

The half cup of shortening is just to grease the bowl, countertop and your hands. Only use what you need for greasing. Do not actually add it into the fondant. That should help!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Quote:

JCE62108 - your recipe doesn't say to add 1/2 a cup of crisco either. It says to use it to put on your fingers, countertop, bowl, spoon. Just to keep things from sticking. I use this same recipe, I have used Jet Puff mm's and store bought with the same results - good.

I replace the water with flavoring, lemon, orange or whatever you like that is clear.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #14 of 28

I have tried mmf and have always made more of a mess than a good product. I guess I will have to try again with this recipe. I have been using Michele Foster's recipe

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #15 of 28

I only use jett puffed mini marshmallows. I add 2 tablespoons of water to the MM, stick it in the microwave for a minute. Stir. Nuke it longer if needed. Stir. SLOWLY add up to 6 cups of powdered sugar...always name brand, never cheap stuff. I put crisco on the counter top, and my hands. As I'm kneading, I put more on my hands as needed. I knead until I can't do it anymore. I smear crisco all over it thinly, wrap it up, and let it sit for ten minutes. Then I knead it again. Sometimes I have to nuke it for 10 seconds to warm it up, but never longer. I have NEVER had it look like yours! The worst I've had is when I added too much sugar and it was too dry to use.

creations08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations08 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #16 of 28

I actually learned how to do MMF from Youtube. The first time I made it I thought I would give up because it was so sticky, but now I know better, and always grease my hands and work surface.

I went ahead and found the Youtube video...HTHS

JCE62108 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Quote:

JCE62108 - your recipe doesn't say to add 1/2 a cup of crisco either. It says to use it to put on your fingers, countertop, bowl, spoon. Just to keep things from sticking. I use this same recipe, I have used Jet Puff mm's and store bought with the same results - good.

I replace the water with flavoring, lemon, orange or whatever you like that is clear.

hmmm, youre right. That one doesnt say to add the 1/2 cup shortening. You know Maybe I read another recipe that said to work in the crisco as you are kneading. I dont think I just made that up. lol. Im sure I saw it somewhere. Oh well it doesnt matter. You guys are giving me some good tips. If I got get those MM today, I will just try it buy greasing the bowl, maybe I will add a little bit of flavor as Im melting. I dont think I will add water. seems like I have trouble with that. I always start off slow with the PS so that I dont accidentally add too much. we'll see how it works this time. Ill make notes so I know from now on.

"I only use jett puffed mini marshmallows. I add 2 tablespoons of water to the MM, stick it in the microwave for a minute. Stir. Nuke it longer if needed. Stir. SLOWLY add up to 6 cups of powdered sugar...always name brand, never cheap stuff. I put crisco on the counter top, and my hands. As I'm kneading, I put more on my hands as needed. I knead until I can't do it anymore. I smear crisco all over it thinly, wrap it up, and let it sit for ten minutes. Then I knead it again. Sometimes I have to nuke it for 10 seconds to warm it up, but never longer. I have NEVER had it look like yours! The worst I've had is when I added too much sugar and it was too dry to use."

You know what, This is EXACTLY how I did it the first few times and it never turned out right for me either. Just like you, the first 3 times I made it, I used the jet puffed and the crisco and melted it in the microwave with 2 tbsp water and stired it after 30 second intervals. I got a nasty end result 2 of the 3 times. The one time It did work, it was barely a quality usable product and it tore pretty easily. I dont know I guess you just have the magic touch, hon. icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by creations08

I actually learned how to do MMF from Youtube. The first time I made it I thought I would give up because it was so sticky, but now I know better, and always grease my hands and work surface.

I went ahead and found the Youtube video...HTHS

OMG the fondant in that video turned out so beautiful! Wow. Thanks for sharing that. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:37pm
post #19 of 28

I use cheap mm's - cheap powdered sugar, and 2 T. water, 1 t.vanilla - grease the bowl before melting, grease my hands - microwave & stir till melted, start adding sugar till I can't stir anymore, then dump it on the counter and knead till it is not sticky. I do this everytime, and it has never failed me. (and have been making it for over 2 years like this)

Do NOT overcook the MM's - it will not work right if you do. Sometimes I use the whole 2 lb. of powdered sugar, sometimes I don't - it just varies on the humidity of the day.

I think you're thinking too hard about it! icon_wink.gif

JCE62108 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:36am
post #20 of 28

LOL! Maybe I am.

Well, I went to the local mini mart and grabbed a bag of what looked like 3 year old MM's. The clerk assured me they werent but I wasnt expecting much out of it.

I used Rhonda's recipe and this is what I got:

**Insert singing angels here***

HAHLLELUJAH!!!
LL

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #21 of 28

Maybe you read about adding a 1/2 cup of Crisco here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-101181.html

I tried it...I added Crisco in with the marshm. and it worked great. I used Jet Puffed and found it to be so much less sweet than Wal-Mart's brand.

JCE62108 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:10am
post #22 of 28

YES! That is where I saw it! I remember that thread now. LOL. I saw the topic and I was like, yep, thats me.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:25am
post #23 of 28

I gave up on MMF a long time ago. It never turned out the same (and I even used Rhonda's recipe). I switched to Michele Foster's fondant recipe and it has worked for me every single time... no issues. I suggest giving it a try if you continue to have issues with the MMF. It's no more work to make Michele's fondant and it is a superior product in both flavor and workability. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:53am
post #24 of 28

The quality and freshness of both the marshmallows and powdered sugar matter very much, I learned from experience icon_redface.gif
Also grease all bowls and your wooden spoon very generously. Grease your hands several times. Knead in the powdered sugar about 1/2 c at a time
I'm a novice/amature/play around with it at home baker, and I've never had a bad batch (other than when I used stale marshmallows and old powdered sugar!!)
So quick and easy to make! hth!

ikaj0309 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikaj0309 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm
post #25 of 28

So i just attempted to make chocolate MMF. I don't think i did too bad. The only problem is that it is pretty sticky. I kept adding crisco to my hands, the counter and a little rubbed on the MMF. Right now, i wrapped the MMF in plastic and placed it in the fridge. I am hoping that it helps.

Do you guys have any tips for me in case this doesn't come out?

Thanks in advance! thumbs_up.gif

ikaj0309 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikaj0309 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:26pm
post #26 of 28

So i just attempted to make chocolate MMF. I don't think i did too bad. The only problem is that it is pretty sticky. I kept adding crisco to my hands, the counter and a little rubbed on the MMF. Right now, i wrapped the MMF in plastic and placed it in the fridge. I am hoping that it helps.

Do you guys have any tips for me in case this doesn't come out?

Thanks in advance! thumbs_up.gif

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #27 of 28

Hi guys,

There's also a good video on Youtube that tells you how to make it in a mixer - I love that one, cuz my hubby always teases me for being the worlds messiest cake maker! I've used it 3 times so far, and three successes. I just typed in 'how to make marshmallow fondat' and it popped up....

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #28 of 28

Hi guys,

There's also a good video on Youtube that tells you how to make it in a mixer - I love that one, cuz my hubby always teases me for being the worlds messiest cake maker! I've used it 3 times so far, and three successes. I just typed in 'how to make marshmallow fondat' and it popped up....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%