How Long Can I Keep Frosting????????????????????????????

Decorating By katydyd Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 1:49am by Rylan

katydyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katydyd Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 5

Hello!! I make buttercream frosting from a recipe that i got at a class that i took at hobby lobby. The teacher told me that i can keep the icing on the counter for a couple of mounts the first class. then the last class she said that i can only keep it on the counter for a couple of days. so i was wondering if i had to keep it in the frige/freezer or could i keep it on the counter and for how long.
Thanks,
Katydyd icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

4 replies
Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 5

Hello!

When I took the Wilton Classes at my local Michael's, my instructor told me it will keep at room temp. for about 1-2 weeks. I no longer use that receipe. The receipe I use now I can keep out for the same time, but I can freeze it for several months.

Hope this helps...

=)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 5

If it does not contain butter it is safe at room temp for a month but.......I still would not keep it out that long. It keeps *very well* in the frig for a month or in the fzr for up to a yearicon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 5

Yeah you keep that frosting at room temperature just as an experiment for a month and go back and open it and see what heppens. More than likely there will be quite an aroma if not some kind of bloom on it. I tried that with fondant after being told it will be good for a month at room temperature. Yeah not so much. Yuck! Fresh is fresh. I have had icing in the firdge for a couple weeks and gone back and didn't like it dispite how anal I am about wrapping and sealing things up. But I am picky and it's my house hold fridge with all the trimmings in the veggie drawer. You need to find what works for you but above all be food safe. That is something I have just taken a keep interest in and am trying to learn more about.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #5 of 5

I usually leave mines in the fridge not longer than a week... I know you can keep it longer but that is just my preference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%