Byo Cake Party..heard Of This?

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm by KatieKake

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 20

This is the order request I got today.

"My friends in Pennsylvania recently had a BYOB cake party. The idea is each person has a mini, plain fondant cake and we decorate it with other fondant decorations of our liking =) I was wondering how much you charge for mini cakes, or a little cake that serves 4."

I have never heard of this before, but it sounds kinda fun! I don't have a pan that serves 4...I have the 6" that serves 6. Is there a pan that serves 4? I've heard of mini cakes, but I thought those were like cupcake sized...like mini tiered wedding cakes. Am I wrong?

19 replies
hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 20

you can buy 4 inch pans, that would serve 4. my students like these little cake pans. however when it came time to buttercream them, they weren't so happy. the smaller the cake the more difficult to ice.

I dont fondant so i have no idea, however, i have seen the buttercream 1 layer cake at krogers for 5.00.

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:02am
post #3 of 20

I bought the Wilton set of 4" cake pans at Michael's, and three pans came nestled together in a package. They weren't very expensive, although I don't remember the exact price.

But I must say, the pan is so tiny. Who really believes that will serve 4 people? I could easily eat a 4" cake by myself. Is that wrong? icon_razz.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:12am
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-tiff

But I must say, the pan is so tiny. Who really believes that will serve 4 people? I could easily eat a 4" cake by myself. Is that wrong? icon_razz.gif

Not wrong, just right I would say. Especially after a very bad day at work, i dont even need to decorate it, just slap some fudgy icing on it and go to town while relaxing in the tub...

The only problem that I would see with a 4 inch is the smaller the cake, the harder to cover in fondant and there isnt much surface area to decorate on. I would do a single layer 6 inch. Or even better, go and get yourself a 4 inch or 6 inch dummy cake. You can cover again and again with fondant and then you arent wasting time baking, unless you are like me and you just want the delivery system for the fudgy icing...

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:20am
post #5 of 20

You can always bake a 6 in. and cut it in 4rds.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:02am
post #6 of 20

I'm not turning my oven on for a 4" cake. Send her to walmart.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:14am
post #7 of 20

I have never heard of such a thing! It definately sound fun! Were you asked to supply cakes for all or just yourself? I would love more details about this get-together. As the hostess, I would probably supply the baked, undecorated cakes and ask the guests to bring fondant, gumpaste, luster dust, etc. That's just me though.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 20

I think it sounds fun and cute! In fact, I might just do the same thing with my friends!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:36pm
post #9 of 20

I think that sounds like lots of fun!! What a unique idea for a grown up party, I've seen decorate your own cookies and cupcakes at kids parties so it only makes sense to extend this. icon_biggrin.gif

If each guest is to have a cake to decorate, I would go with 4 inch cakes already decorated and covered in fondant. They may be doing them in teams of 4, in which case I would go with a 6 inch round already covered. icon_smile.gif Like indydebi, I wouldn't supply just 1 4 or 6 inch cake, but if she is looking to buy a few then I certainly would!!

As for decorations for the cakes, I would ask that they provide their own and just tell them that they need fondant (pre colored would work the best), cutters, and perhaps some food color mixed with vanilla or vodka. icon_smile.gif It can get quite costly buying all the extras, as we all know!!

khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 20

Couple of quick comments. I just got 2 of the Magic Line 4 inch pans and love them. They are perfect for 1 or 2 people 4 would be a push but if your dieting it might be a plusicon_wink.gif I have the Wilton pans also - not so good. They are only about an 1 1/2 deep and the sides slope so they're more like mini pie pans. Because of the sloping sides they are difficult to stack and get straight sides. They remind me of the pans that came with my daughters Easy Bake oven.

I just did a 4inch using chocolate ganache (as suggested in a post here). It was the easiest way to frost a small cake I've ever used.

I love the party idea!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 20

So wait, she wants to purchase a SINGLE 4" cake, undecorated? Yeah, I'm with Debi on this one... not worth even turning on the oven for that.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by khkakes

I have the Wilton pans also - not so good. They are only about an 1 1/2 deep and the sides slope so they're more like mini pie pans.

Wilton also makes a 4" springform. It cost about the same as the 3 sloping pans. HTH

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

You can always bake a 6 in. and cut it in 4rds.

Oh man I snorted my iced tea that I almost had totally swallowed!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-tiff

Not wrong, just right I would say. Especially after a very bad day at work, i dont even need to decorate it, just slap some fudgy icing on it and go to town while relaxing in the tub...

Heck who needs the cake at all? I'd just get the fudgy icing and a spoon! icon_razz.gif

Also, I agree with the idea that this is way too small to even bother with as a paying order. She's got to be kidding...

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm not turning my oven on for a 4" cake. Send her to walmart.

Amen! You want to buy half a dozen or a dozen 4" cakes- we'll talk. But just one?! PASS!!

pipe-dreams Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:16pm
post #16 of 20

Ok, I got more info.
No, it wouldn't be just one 4" cake, it would be one for each of her friends. Honestly, I think she is beating around the bush trying to see if I would actually Host the party and teach them. They've been to them before. I'll try to attach the info I got. It really does sound like fun! It's something I might look into doing in the future. I think my fondant skills have greatly improved since I started, plus they would pretty much just be doing basics on an already covered cake, kwim?Here is the ad from her hometown. So $45 a person for the party instead of a price per cake. The main website is www.thecornerstonecoffeehouse.com

June 23, 2009 - Decorating with Fondant -BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!! -$45.00pp

1. If you are a fan of Ace of Cakes or the Food Network Challenge and want to know how it's done, you won't want to miss this class. In this hands onclass, you will decorate your own fondant cake. Each participant will be provided with a fondant covered cake that serve 8. You'll learn how to make bows, roses, shapes and other decorations. Learn how to make fondant, how to cover a cake, and other professional tips and techniques to create imaginative and unique cakes. You'll also learn how to create beautifully decorated cupcakes. Fresh-brewed ice tea and coffee will be served and don't forget to BYOB. It's the perfect girls night out, so bring your friends. Jasmine Clouser, owner of Sprinkles and Swirls will be our chef this evening.

edited for clarity!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #17 of 20

If it will serve 8, it's probably a 6" cake, not a 4". I'd charge more than that per person, though, for an 8-serving cake covered in fondant I'd charge $36 to begin with, then you'd be making the decorations and dealing with the aggravation...

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #18 of 20

No way a 4 incher is gonna serve 8 people. I would at least do a 6 inch, if not 8 inch. As far as basically teaching a class, cause thats what you are going to end up doing, I would charge $100-$150 a head minimum. Especially if you are going to be providing all of the tools, fondant, etc.

Dont sell yourself short, $45 a person is way underpriced...

pipe-dreams Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #19 of 20

that's what I thought too. i don't know how that place does it for $45 per person. I mean a fondant cake that serves 8 would be $36 for me too, since I charge $4.50 serving for fondant. So basically I would be "making" $9 per person to teach them..uh, I don't think so! icon_confused.gif

I emailed her and gave her info on someone else in town that might do it, but I doubt she will. Her prices are the same as mine. Unless they brought their own cakes and supplies and I taught them how to cover it then I would be losing money.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm
post #20 of 20

When your frosting those suckers, put a couple of your flower nails, through some cardboard, close enough together so you can put the cake on the flower nails. They will hold it it place, if you don't put too much pressure on the cake and tear it. They are miserable to try and frost, decorating isn't so bad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%