Three Yes Or No Questions For Scratch Bakers.....

Decorating By giraffe11 Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 3:45am by miny

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #61 of 67

1. Never
2. Not unless it is a very large cake and I want to bake it lower so it bakes more evenly.
3. Not unless it is a spongy or traditionally drier cake such as génoise. If I do it to a regular cake, it gets too mushy for my liking.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Arscallion, I'm not referring to extracts but to when people sub alcohol in their cake for their liquid. In your point, alcoholics should also not eat cakes where the baker uses a 1/2 cup or so of alcohol when they make the cake.

My points are not at all about what alcoholics should and shouldn't eat. I don't make those decisions. My points are about what I do as a courtesy to a certain group of people. My point is only about the use of uncooked alcohol and suggesting a courtesy card as fair notice if it's used, because I DO know, based on what these people have told me, that this CAN affect them. I never put more than a tsp or two of extract in my cakes anyway, not because of this issue. Just because it's not my practice to. I don't know about the 1/2 cup in the batter issue, because I don't do anything like that. If I did, I'd ask my friends if they felt it warranted a card as well. I'm not trying to be the alcohol police. And I'm not trying to tell others what to do. I'm just mentioning what I do as a courtesy to people who might be affected by it.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:48pm
post #63 of 67

1) Depends. Ideally I like to wrap it when still a little warm, but usually there is too much going on and it all gets wrapped totally cool at the end of the night. I leave the cakes in the pans tho, and the exposed top part usually gets trimmed off.

2) yes

3) yes except for chocolate and carrot

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #64 of 67

There are also some religions who cannot have alcohol as well. We have muslim friends and they cannot have gelatine products either. So many things to think about!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:29am
post #65 of 67

sara91 - agar agar is a pretty cool and gelatin-like, in case you were ever looking to substitute. You'd have to google the right amounts, though

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:20am
post #66 of 67

no - I think the steam NEEDS to escape properly in order to set the crumb. I'm not neurotic about wrapping my cakes - I've been known to let them sit out for over a day before wrapping, and have never had a "dry" cake.

yes, usually.

never have, never seen any reason to. My cakes and icings and fillings are all well flavoured. Maybe if I was making a biscuit or genoise I might try it, but for my regular cakes? Nope.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #67 of 67

1.- Never
2.- 350
3.- I've tried unsuccesfuly but I'd love to know how to, just to add flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%