Need A High-Altitude Wasc Recipe Pretty Please

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm by saycheese

emlashlee Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:43am
post #1 of 8

I moved to Colorado from Georgia two years ago and have not made a cake from scratch since then. I'm too scared! Has anyone had luck with a high-altitude WASC recipe? It's all I hear about on the boards and by golly, I want to make one too! Any help would be appreciated! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 8

I think this is something you are just going to have to play around with.
When I lived at 8500 ft I tried (I think) once and had fair results w/o changing anything in my *original* recipe.
I suggest 1) more liquid (up to 1/2 cup) 2) a bit more flour 3) bake longer but be careful not to overbake & dry it out. That's the biggest problem w/high altitude baking. Once you remove from oven let cool in pan only about 10 minutes, then promptly wrap well in plastic wrap or a plastic bag. Freeze if you don't use w/in 24 hrs.

whisperingmadcow Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 8

I am from Colorado too and I have made one! I just did the high altitude ajustments on the box ( I use PB brand cake mix) then added the extra ingredients. It was very dense and a little dry, but still pretty good! (use a flower nail in the center too).

saycheese Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 8

I am in Greeley, about 5,000 ft...I haven't made any adjustments to the WASC and it's been perfectly fine and yummy for me. I do use kakeladi's original, don't know if that matters.

emlashlee Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the help and tips. I'm going to try to make kakeladi's WASC recipe this Friday and see how it turns out.

whisperingmadcow Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 8

Good luck!

emlashlee Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 8

I did it - I did it! icon_smile.gif I made kakeladi's WASC recipe and it turned out great! Big, fluffy 8" rounds. Yum! I torted them and layered it with cream cheese icing, strawberry jelly, and fresh strawberries. Thanks for all of your help!

saycheese Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 8

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%