Need A High-Altitude Wasc Recipe Pretty Please

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm by saycheese

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:43am
post #1 of 8

I moved to Colorado from Georgia two years ago and have not made a cake from scratch since then. I'm too scared! Has anyone had luck with a high-altitude WASC recipe? It's all I hear about on the boards and by golly, I want to make one too! Any help would be appreciated! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 8

I think this is something you are just going to have to play around with.
When I lived at 8500 ft I tried (I think) once and had fair results w/o changing anything in my *original* recipe.
I suggest 1) more liquid (up to 1/2 cup) 2) a bit more flour 3) bake longer but be careful not to overbake & dry it out. That's the biggest problem w/high altitude baking. Once you remove from oven let cool in pan only about 10 minutes, then promptly wrap well in plastic wrap or a plastic bag. Freeze if you don't use w/in 24 hrs.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 8

I am from Colorado too and I have made one! I just did the high altitude ajustments on the box ( I use PB brand cake mix) then added the extra ingredients. It was very dense and a little dry, but still pretty good! (use a flower nail in the center too).

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 8

I am in Greeley, about 5,000 ft...I haven't made any adjustments to the WASC and it's been perfectly fine and yummy for me. I do use kakeladi's original, don't know if that matters.

emlashlee Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the help and tips. I'm going to try to make kakeladi's WASC recipe this Friday and see how it turns out.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 8

Good luck!

emlashlee Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 8

I did it - I did it! icon_smile.gif I made kakeladi's WASC recipe and it turned out great! Big, fluffy 8" rounds. Yum! I torted them and layered it with cream cheese icing, strawberry jelly, and fresh strawberries. Thanks for all of your help!

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 8

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%