Red Velvet Cake Okay With Bc Icing?

Decorating By sweet1122 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 2:00am by sugarcheryl

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:29am
post #1 of 18

I'm wondering if it would be okay to have a red velvet cake covered and filled with BC icing? Do they go together fine or does it strictly have to be cream cheese icing?

17 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 18

Nope, you can put whaaaaatever you want. Before I knew about the oh so amazing SMBC, I had someone who wanted red velvet, but didn't like how sweet regular cream cheese frosting was. Duh. Didn't know I could do cream cheese SMBC then. I'm sure she'd have loved it, cause she loved the plain SMBC. But yeah, regular BC is ok....just kind of not the same red velvet experience in my book.

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #3 of 18

I have done my buttercream with my Red Velvet and absolutely love it!! Yes you can do it, it is all about what you like... I still prefer cream cheese frosting but they have the flavoring that I can add to my buttercream. Good luck!

HTH,

Kim

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 18

My first question to stuff like this is "why WOULDN'T it?"

My 2nd question is "who makes the Food Rules anyway and why are THEY the only ones that get a say in what is "suppose" to be done?"

I do most of my red velvets in cream cheese filling with BC icing. Brides want the cream cheese flavor but they want the entire cake iced in BC. It's worked for years.

So if there is a Food Rule Police running around Indy, someone give me a heads up, ok? icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #5 of 18

question: what is red velvet cake? what does it taste like? i have heard lots of people talking about how great it is....

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #6 of 18

I usually make BC and use Lorann's cheesecake flavoring for my red velvet...sooo good !

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:45am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My first question to stuff like this is "why WOULDN'T it?"

My 2nd question is "who makes the Food Rules anyway and why are THEY the only ones that get a say in what is "suppose" to be done?"

I do most of my red velvets in cream cheese filling with BC icing. Brides want the cream cheese flavor but they want the entire cake iced in BC. It's worked for years.

So if there is a Food Rule Police running around Indy, someone give me a heads up, ok? icon_biggrin.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Ditto

I did a red velvet cake with Indideby BC and I add coconut extract and flakes and every body looooooove it, it is depend what the client wants, the client is who make the rules icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sweet1122 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:05am
post #8 of 18

Okay, I actually have some of the Lorann flavor oils. Any idea how much to add? I've used it a couple of times to flavor my fondant, but I still have most of one small bottle left.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:40am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

question: what is red velvet cake? what does it taste like? i have heard lots of people talking about how great it is....

Taken right off of Wikipedia: Red velvet cake is a type of rich and sweet cake, with a distinctive dark red to bright red or red-brown color. Common ingredients include buttermilk, butter, flour, cocoa powder, and often either beets, or red food coloring. It is most popular in the Southern United States, though known in other regions. The most typical frosting for a red velvet cake is a butter roux icing also known as a cooked flour frosting. Cream cheese buttercream frostings are also popular.

Traditionalists believe that red velvet cakes must contain cocoa, although recipes are available that do not contain any chocolate flavoring

Many people in the Southern United States refer to red velvet cake as "The Chocolate Cake of the South."

Very delish, moist cake. I made one from recipe here on CC and it was huge hit with Senior Adults from the Deep, Deep south. Made wtih BC icing as too many allergies with creamcheese icing. not one little bite was left over.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:08am
post #10 of 18

i've actually only had it with bc and love it...so does my family!! icon_lol.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:13am
post #11 of 18

oooohhhhh, well it sounds good so i might give it a go

GI: thanks for the help p.s your avatar cake is lovely!

sweet1122 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:30am
post #12 of 18

Diane... regular BC or BC with cream cheese flavoring?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:20am
post #13 of 18

I've had it with cream cheese buttercream and it was the bomb.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #14 of 18

just plain old buttercream! icon_wink.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #15 of 18

I did a wedding cake that was red velvet cake and I used the Whipped Cream Buttercream icing (recipe I posted here on CC) It is in my pics. (dark red cascading roses). It was absoltuely delicious.

DesignsbyVanessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyVanessa Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:04pm
post #16 of 18

Since on the topic of red velvet and cream cheese filling... maybe someone can help because I really dont' know where to ask the question (newbie so excuse me)

I make 2 red velvet cakes in the past week, first one went well but second one I'm not sure if I filled it way too much because after hours of completion i could see the cc filing seeping out no thru the fondant but bludging so my cake wasn't smooth.

My question: how long can I have a red velvet cake filled with CC out before it's cut and eaten? 5-6 hours or longer? My issue is time... I have a red velvet with CC due for Saturday.. but I want to be done by Friday... what do i do... I know I can't refrigerate it... will it be ok? CC won't spoil?

sweet1122 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #17 of 18

Yeah, I think that's too long for cream cheese icing... It'll spoil as far as I'm aware. You might get some better responses if you open up a new topic though. It's a tough one. I hate the perishable fillings because I too like to be done the night before. Good luck!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #18 of 18

Well I have a wedding cake to do in 2 weeks and they are getting a red velvet cake and good old buttercream. It's what the client likes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%