Am I Doing This Right?

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 9:55pm by kakeladi

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 4

So I'm going to make a cake to look like a two story house. I plan to bake two 9x13 cakes and cut each in half. Then I will stack and fill them with two halves per layer, each layer on it's own board. I'll dowel the bottom layer before putting the second on top. Does this sound right?

I plan to use WASC for the first time. How many cups of.batter will I need per cake to get a good height? Are regular cake boards good enough? This will be my first stacked cake. Should I torte it or will it be fine with four layers?

Sorry for all the questions. I want this cake to be great. thanks for any advice or tips you can give me!

3 replies
Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 4

I think the construction of your cake sounds great. If you are going to be transporting the cake I would probably put a dowel through all four layers of the cake as well.

I use 7 cups of batter when I bake a 9x13 cake and it is a good height for me. I would not torte the cakes because that just causes the cake to be less stable. As far as the cake boards go one cake board for each layer should be fine, but I like to tape a couple of cake boards together for the base. I am by no means a professional but hopefully this will help you out some!

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much! I won't be transporting it further than from my kitchen to my dining room so I should be ok. I'm so excited for this cake!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 4

One batch of my *original* WASC recipe will be just right for a 9x13 pan.
Regular cake boards will be fine for this amount of cake....however I recommend dbl'ing the bottom board or put it on a more solid something - like a cookie sheet.
I would not torte unless you use just a very light smear of filling on each.
If you don't torte, you can use about 1/4" of filling per layer.

BTW: where you refer to 'layer' that is properly called a tiericon_smile.gif Each tier is (usually) made up of two 2" layers icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%