How Much Cake Do I Need?

Decorating By aminaz Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 9:09am by aminaz

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 6

i've been asked to do a 3 tier square cake. it needs to fit 100 people. what size pans do i need? please can some one help!

5 replies
AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 6

I would do a 14" - 10" - 6". Not counting the top tier since it is usually saved for the anniversary, that should give you 100 servings. Depending upon who you ask & what serving charts they use, they might say it serves a little more, but I like to error on the side of caution.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 6

......AZCakeGirl's answer is for American cakes but since you are in the UK are you using Fruitcake? I understand those serving sizes are much smaller so you would get many, many more servings from the sizes mentioned.

I use the Wilton chart for tiered cake servings so for the 100 servings you need a 12, 8 combination would give you 104. If you want to add the 6" top tier that is not counted in the servings, that's fineicon_smile.gif This # is based on a serving being 1"x2"x4".

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 6

Oops, sorry! I didn't notice you were in the UK & had different types of servings on your cakes there.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 6

for fruit cake you'll need a 6" on a 10", check out this site or any other UK wedding cake site.
http://www.maisiefantaisie.co.uk/serving-information.html

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:09am
post #6 of 6

thanks everyone for your help. i actually use a sponge cake as people i deal with don't like fruit cake. but i found the chart requierd. thanks for your help everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%