Last Minute Bow....?

Decorating By IDoCakesinTX Updated 31 May 2009 , 4:24pm by Cakepro

IDoCakesinTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IDoCakesinTX Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 17

Is there any way to make a last minute bow? I have satin ice and tylose......how fast would those strips dry?

Thanks!

16 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 17

sorry. I can't help, but I'll bump you up to keep this on the home page for alittle bit. Maybe someone else can help.

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 17

I add gumpaste to my mmf for bows and it dries very fast (pretty hard in a couple of hours). I use gumpaste powder mix and water, and instead of letting it sit 24 hrs, just mix it into the fondant (it's sticky at first). I'm guessing the same is true with tylose...?

Misdawn Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 17

I've never worked with tylose before, so that's why I said I can't help you. But if you have time to get some gumpaste mix, then definitely mix up some gumpaste (mix with a little fondant) and make your bow with that. It should work and be good to go in about 3 hours or so.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 17

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 17

For last minute bows, nothing beats making them out of melted CandyMelts! You just cut about 20 strips of freezer paper, 3/4" wide by 6" long. Once the candy is melted, use an offset spatula to coat the shiny side of the paper with the candy and smooth it out to an even thickness. Pinch the ends together and place on a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper. If the ends want to pop open, lay a pen or pencil along the end to prevent that from happening. You can put the cookie sheet in the fridge, and the loops will be firm in about 5 minutes. You use the melted candy to "glue" the loops together on the cake.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 17

I find fondant with tylose dries much faster than the gumpaste and fondant mix. Good luck!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 17

I've made a bow once and it dried the same day. I live in a very dry climate btw.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

For last minute bows, nothing beats making them out of melted CandyMelts! You just cut about 20 strips of freezer paper, 3/4" wide by 6" long. Once the candy is melted, use an offset spatula to coat the shiny side of the paper with the candy and smooth it out to an even thickness. Pinch the ends together and place on a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper. If the ends want to pop open, lay a pen or pencil along the end to prevent that from happening. You can put the cookie sheet in the fridge, and the loops will be firm in about 5 minutes. You use the melted candy to "glue" the loops together on the cake.

I am really going to try this one day. It sounds awesome. Do you make the loops so that the paper is on the outside or inside? I would assume outside so that you could easily peel it off. Just wasn't sure.

GeminiRJ Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:

I am really going to try this one day. It sounds awesome. Do you make the loops so that the paper is on the outside or inside? I would assume outside so that you could easily peel it off. Just wasn't sure.

Yes, the paper is on the outside. You stick the candy to the candy. It's quick, easy, and they taste pretty good, too!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 17

I made my first fondant bow not too long ago. used satin ice ... made the loops in the morning ... assembled the bow in the afternoon, just a few hours later.

Rylan Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:09am
post #12 of 17

Misdawn, the guy in your avatar is so hot.

sharon1800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon1800 Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:13am
post #13 of 17

[quote="GeminiRJ"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:

Will this work with parchment paper?

GeminiRJ Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #14 of 17

I don't think it would work with parchment pape, but you could always do a quick test on one strip to see if it would.

Misdawn Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:36am
post #15 of 17

Yes he is, isn't he RylanTy! Hee Hee!

Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:44am
post #16 of 17

If he was your boyfriend, I'd borrow him.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

If he was your boyfriend, I'd borrow him.

That's inappropriate and gross. thumbsdown.gif Show some class.

OP, yes, you can add Tylose to Satin Ice and have the bow loops dry in a few hours. I put my loops on their sides to dry and put a high speed tabletop fan on them. I flip them every half hour or so until they are completely dry.

I realize this is too late for you, but thought you'd like to know in case you didn't try making that last-minute bow. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%